Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

1 members and 3,226 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My First Custom Cage

Still looking good!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WakoNako View Post
    Yep, I was thinkin 3/8s but I might go to thinner stuff because Im doing two doors that'll need considerably less plexi than the one I had originally planned
    Nice, I'm not sure if you have ever cut plexi before, but they make special blades to cut plexi... I used a fine tooth blade and just did the cut reallllllly slow and it worked fine.. if they plexi has the paper still on it leave it on during the cuts. I used plexi for my Gecko's 20L and it works nice, the plexi gives a great look and viewing area. well have fun building

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    Nice, I'm not sure if you have ever cut plexi before, but they make special blades to cut plexi... I used a fine tooth blade and just did the cut reallllllly slow and it worked fine.. if they plexi has the paper still on it leave it on during the cuts. I used plexi for my Gecko's 20L and it works nice, the plexi gives a great look and viewing area. well have fun building

Cheers
    I was just gonna leave the paper on and then slowly cut it with a fine tooth bi-metal blade on a hack saw. Also, I'm going to fun the framing through the table saw to cut a groove in it to allow the plexi to slide into it, thus hiding the edges and preventing me from having to use any glue.

I'll be sure to take pictures when I'm putting the doors together, I need to go and get some 1x3 wood stock to make them, maybe 1x4.

Thanks

I finished the filling and the sanding!!!!!!!!!!

I did end up cheating and took to using the electric sander to bring most of it to level, and then finished up with finer paper on a sanding block by hand to get a nice smooth finish.

I'm going to be using a UTH as a primary means of heat, and I'm also planning on tiling the floor. To protect the wood from dampness and heat, I placed 1/4" Hardie Backer Cement board on the base and screwed it in.

Secured using 1/2" screws.

To be extra safe against fire hazards, I was thinking of butchering a space blanket to place under the UTH but then I had a brain wave!!

Aluminum Foil!! I remembered when baking potato's on the grill how effective foil is at stopping my hands getting burnt, but keeping the heat in to cook the potato's. I attached it shiny side up simply using spray adhesive.

I then took a 2x4 and ran it through the table saw and ripped it down to half inch think. I think took half inch off each side to square them off and finally cut it to length. It's attached with brad nails.

This now means that my doors and draw front plate are going to be half inch think rather than the inch I originally intended, I think this will work better though.

Some how, when measuring up for the doors we have managed to make both of them exactly the same size (at least on paper). The opening above the substrate barrier is 14 5/8" high and 29 3/8" wide. This makes two 14 5/8" square doors with a 1/16" gap between, it worked out perfectly.

These are the hinges I intend to use, I need to pick up some more tomorrow on the way home from college.

The doors will be secured using a sliding deadbolt and also a magnetic catch on each of them. I imagine it will be very hard for a ball python of king snake to get through them.

So far, my grand total for this cage is $0, 3-ish days and one cut finger

Tomorrow I will have to spend a little money :/ lol
    Last edited by WakoNako; 04-27-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WakoNako View Post
    I was just gonna leave the paper on and then slowly cut it with a fine tooth bi-metal blade on a hack saw. Also, I'm going to fun the framing through the table saw to cut a groove in it to allow the plexi to slide into it, thus hiding the edges and preventing me from having to use any glue.

I'll be sure to take pictures when I'm putting the doors together, I need to go and get some 1x3 wood stock to make them, maybe 1x4.
    Not too sure a hack saw would be good. it may crack the plexi during the cuttin process. if you have a table saw and a fine toothed blade you will be good. best of luck.

Cheers

Thanks

I'm gonna do some test pieces first. If all else fails, the good ole' score and snap technique should do the job perfectly

Thanks

Today I managed to get the doors built and the draw built and installed. I had to call it an early night to get my Accounting homework done for tomorrow lol.

Figured I'd post a couple pictures of Greg, he was helping me as I replied to posts last night my guarding my drink for me

Started out by cutting and dryfitting all the door components.

A finished door, not yet installed though.

One built and open draw.

One built and open draw using it's runners

And thats all she wrote. I was hoping to start painting tonight, but the homework calls. Least it's finals week. No more college after next week

Thanks

That is a cute picture of your ball python.

Thanks

Looking good. I made a few cages out of wood, then I found my number of snakes getting a little large. I guess I got lazy and bought a rack system for the ball pythons.
    I like your design. Very furniture grade. That drawer will prove to be very nice to have also.

Thanks

VERY NICE! door looks great, I see there was no cracking SWEET!... what kind of side mount glides did you use? I have some Accurides I picked up when I was building custom kitchens... Cage is lookin good. Nice lookin BP too, lucky fella.

Cheers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast