Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

0 members and 3,180 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: What do you Feed your Cats?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dry

18 43.90%
  • Wet

6 14.63%
  • Combo

14 34.15%
  • Other?

3 7.32%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Dry food, Wet Food, Or Both

Feed your cat meat. Dont fill your cat with space fillers.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

I feed avoderm and natural balance wet food exclusively to one cat, and the other 2 get a mixture with TOTW dry food.

My one cat was getting chronic UTIs and vomiting and nothing worked, got them every 2-3 months. I don't trust the prescription diets so I decided to try the straight wet and it has worked! Have not noticed any increase in dental decay, and I am fairly convinced that the people who do have more to do with the quality of the wet food than the fact that it is wet.

Think about it, dogs have the instinct to chew, cats don't. Dog saliva contains digestive enzymes (much like ours) that breaks down the bacteria; cats do not. Ever watch a cat eat? They don't really chew and I always noticed that their vomit seemed to come out as mostly solid pieces as well.

When many of the grains are used in food they are stored in dirty/moist environments, and are the lower quality grains to begin with. Therefore many of them contain alot of molds, mites, and bacteria; which I think is where the dental issues come from introducing that bacteria in a warm and moist environment (wet food). I've seen lots of dental decay in cats with low quality dry food as well.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    My cats are on the Royal Canin Urinary SO forumula. $50 a bag sucks, but the vet visits were costing more.

I'm currently looking into a raw diet. Logically, couldn't I just put a couple thawed mice in their bowl? That would finally give me a good excuse for buying mice in bulk. I am researching it, and most sources say chicken. Why not a natural food item, eh?
    As I stated before, a high quality wet diet has done WONDERS for my cat

Thanks

Obligate carnivores
    Obligate or true carnivores depend solely on the nutrients found in animal flesh for their survival. While they may consume small amounts of plant material, they lack the physiology required for the efficient digestion of vegetable matter and, in fact, some carnivorous mammals eat vegetation specifically as an emetic. The domestic cat is a prime example of an obligate carnivore, as are all of the other felids. The ability to produce synthetic forms of nutrients such as taurine in the lab has allowed feed manufacturers to formulate foods for carnivores (zoo animals and pets) with varying amounts of plant material.
    Cats are obligate carnivores, you shouldnt be feeding them dry food or foods that are filled with plat material. it's not part of their diet and to feed them anything other than meat should be considered morally wrong.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Registered User Shadows Valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks

RE: Dry Food or Wet

I have three cats and I only feed mine dry cat food. I used to feed a combo of both until my vet told me that canned food is horrible for their teeth. I did notice a lot less plaque after I stopped giving them canned.

The food that I feed them is a human grade quality, very expensive food that has no grains or plant materials in it. I've done an astronomical amount of research on cat and dog food as I lost my Pittie to the 2007 dog food recall.
    Last edited by Shadows Valkyrie; 12-23-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: add on...

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    raw food

Thanks

Re: Dry Food or Wet

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows Valkyrie View Post
    I have three cats and I only feed mine dry cat food. I used to feed a combo of both until my vet told me that canned food is horrible for their teeth. I did notice a lot less plaque after I stopped giving them canned.

The food that I feed them is a human grade quality, very expensive food that has no grains or plant materials in it. I've done an astronomical amount of research on cat and dog food as I lost my Pittie to the 2007 dog food recall.
    What food do you currently have them on?

I've done some various foods for my two. One of mine, Dex/Fattie (who isn't fat, he's just a proportionately large cat) has had a partial urinary blockage in the past and it seems to be something we've gotten past. I wanted to put them on raw but they seem very adverse to raw.

Currently they get mostly high quality dry but I switch it up. Sometimes i add warm water, sometimes they get wet food mixed in, sometimes they get hairball remedy ontop (well, one does because he gets seasonal hairballs). I always buy different flavors and there are a few brands I use because they don't have any aversion to brand switches. Some days they get wet food only.

Heres an obligatory picture Fatthing and Ollie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123