Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,333

1 members and 2,332 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

View Poll Results: I Pre-Kill my rodents by:

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Using a CO2 Chamber

34 31.78%
  • Slamming them against something hard on the neck

52 48.60%
  • Shooting it

5 4.67%
  • Other (I will post it below)

16 14.95%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How Do You Pre-Kill Rodents?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy78 View Post
    Doesn't dust off have a bitterant in it? Won't that make em yucky to the snake?
    You are correct. They add a bitterant to try & discourage idiots from inhaling it I guess to try to get high. Must do some brain damage as mice & rats don't do to well with it. I don't think the snakes taste it or even smell it as I have had no problems. After freezing them I soak them in hot tap water to thaw & then blow dry with heat. By that time if anything got on the rodent I'm sure it is gone. I think I only did a pre-kill once & the snake hammered and ate pretty fast also so I don't think by them being exposed & breathing it in would have a problem with the snake.

1.1 Normal bp

Thanks

I feed live. I'm getting ready to switch to p/k. I've tried f/t and my snakes just won't do it. probably becuase they've been on live for so long. I'm going to do the dry ice thing, or CO2.

I tried cervical dislocation. I totally sucked at it, becuase it was no quick death. I cried all night, and the rat now lives in my basement becuase I don't have the heart to put it through any more. I use a butter knife, put it behind his head, and pulled on his tail as hard as I could. I tried it three times. By the third time I was so shaken that I was torturing this poor animal, I couldn't do it any more. Lol. Never again. Unless I get someone with experience to physically show me how.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

FYI to any1 using CO2 to make it more humane. it really isnt its like drowning ever breath in right before u take a sip of soda u lose ur breath hard to breath like drowning ,and it sucks most people seem to think that co2 doesnt hurt but they mistake it with CO thats the stuff that puts u to sleep and u sufficate, CO2 is nasty stuff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    I feed live. I'm getting ready to switch to p/k. I've tried f/t and my snakes just won't do it. probably becuase they've been on live for so long. I'm going to do the dry ice thing, or CO2.

I tried cervical dislocation. I totally sucked at it, becuase it was no quick death. I cried all night, and the rat now lives in my basement becuase I don't have the heart to put it through any more. I use a butter knife, put it behind his head, and pulled on his tail as hard as I could. I tried it three times. By the third time I was so shaken that I was torturing this poor animal, I couldn't do it any more. Lol. Never again. Unless I get someone with experience to physically show me how.
    I have always found the cervical dislocation to be the fastest/easiest/most humane way of dispatching with feeders. It just takes a slightly different approach they what you were using. Instead of a butter knife, if you can use your thumb I find it to be easier. Here is what I do...

-grab feeder by base of tail and dangle over a towel. make sure the towel is heavy or otherwise fixed in place so it won't go anywhere

-lower feeder until it grabs onto the towel with its *front* paws only, so that it is at an angle. They should hold onto the towel and stop squirming for a minute

-place either your thumb (held perpendicular to the feeder's spine) or your thumb and index finger (pinched together to make a v shape cupping the base of the feeder's skull) in position

-quickly press firmly *down* and sharply *forward* at the base of the head. simultaneously pull sharply *back* and *up* on the tail.

Think of this way more as cracking a whip than pulling something apart, and consider your angles. Once I got this down pat I have found it to be the best way for me. And by the way, I actually had a friend teach me this who is a PhD in genetics and has dispatched thousands of mice in her career - it is tried and true. Don't worry if they twitch afterwards a bit, that is common.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CopperNightShade For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (07-13-2010)

Thanks

I only have one prekilled eater so I will just take one of the live ones (usually the one that tries to bite me) and throw it as hard as I can against a brick wall. May sound gruesome but actually i have made a mess yet and it dieds instantly. I used to use a hammer but that didnt always work with the first whack. The wall is quicker.

BPs Currently 23 total
    1.6.0 Normals, 1.0.0 66% poss het pied, 2.5.0 Yellow Belly, 1.0.0 Blonde Pastel, 1.0.0 Mojave, 0.1.0 Lemon Blast, 1.0.0 Albino, 0.1.0 100% het albino, 1.0.0 Spider, 1.1.0 Het Caramel Albino

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Dry Ice c02 setup is what I use. I only have to do every so often when I breed rodents otherwise I buy f/t.

Registered User Kyle@theHeathertoft's Avatar
    Thanks

Right now I find it cost-effective to buy frozen feeders from a local supplier, they use C02. Once I reach a point where I can cut costs by breeding my own feeders, I will be making a homemade C02 tank to do it myself.
    1.1 Mojave BP ("Caffè Macchiato;" name pending)
    1.0 Cinnamon BP ("Jayne")
    1.0 Pastel BP ("Elliot")
    0.1 Normal BP ("Biscotti")
    0.1 Spider BP (name pending)
    0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake ("Bowline")
    1.0 Dumeril Boa ("Julien")
    0.1 Super-Dwarf Reticulated Python ("Temperance")

Thanks

mice just flip them in the back of the head with my finger for rats i use a pencil or pen to smack them in the head.
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Thanks

stratus_020202 i had that problem with my burm for a bit. warm them up a Lil warmer then usual and use some tongs to keep the dead prey moving a Lil or even tie a string around the tail (tie it so it comes off easily but tight enough so you can make the mouse dance around more or less)

or could switch them over to f/t by using fresh killed(by fresh killed i mean it is still kicking) and drop it right on the snake so he feels the movement. do that for a few feedings then move the prey a lil farther away (make sure he is out of his hide before offering food. then after a few feeding of him having to move to get it. then start with a f/t drop it right on the snake

or just keep offering only f/t and he will take it before he lets himself starve to death

my green tree pythons got a food drive like no others i have seen.(even my burm who takes a few minute before she starts looking for it) they come off perches in search of the food they smell f/t, pre-killed, live it don't matter they smell it they go looking for it till they find it and it only takes them a minute at most till they find it no-matter where in the cage i put it
    Last edited by ice#1; 07-31-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Thanks
    i wait till they aren't looking then plant drugs on them, call the police.

when the cops find him with the drugs they will arrest him, he will loose in court and be put in jail.

not getting along with the other inmates due to being a rat he will become extremely depressed and at some point kill himself.

thats when i take it and feed it to my snake i don't kill it and it dies! guilt free!

lol but seriously i feed all F/T but in my opinion the most humane way to do it would be with Co2
    my channel plz check it out!

www.youtube.com/reptopia

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast