Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,358

0 members and 2,358 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New BP Owner Here, Seeking Advice.

Let me preface by saying I own 2 PB books (Ball pythons 'Sutherland' and The Complete Ball Python 'McCurley') and have done quite a bit of online research so I'm not coming in here completely blind..

A few weeks ago I purchased a BP at a pet store and tried to feed him to for the first time last night to no avail and would love some help and over all tips about my set up.

Heres some info:

-Unknown sex, believed to be 4-7 months of age and weighs 97 grams (as of last night)

- 10 gallon tank and plan on either a 20L or a small rack system by the time he out grows it. My first BP and I already want 15 more

- Fleece blanket surrounding 3 sides for protection and better insulation (room temp fluctuates a lot).

- Hot Side = Small zooman UTH under the tank and to a corner connected to a Temp for control at 90-92 degrees. Half log hide on top. A humidity pad next to the log with a red light 60 watt on the same side (just for cold nights and raising ambient if necessary).

- Cold Side = large water dish. Hide next. Towel over the top with a small opening to help regulate temps.

- Climbing branch going from hot side hide box, to opposite cornered cold side hide (it rests on the half log, but rests on the corner glass higher up on cold side).

Anyway, the pet store said they feed live but I bought frozen fuzzies and would like to get him to switch to F/T. My problem is that I attempted to weigh him yesterday a few hours before feeding which did not go well. He was scared as i slowly took him out, weighed him and as I was moving him back to the tank, he got super defensive like he wanted to bite. Adrenaline filled the air, mostly from me which i'm sure he sensed.
    In the tank, he bugged out. Crawling around really fast and up the climbing branch to escape.. He was on a mission, but I was able to keep him inside and close the lid..

It simply did not go well, he was pissed off and I was admit-tingly very nervous the whole time which I know he realized and added to his upset demeanor.

In retrospect, it was a bad idea to weigh him the first day I am also trying to feed.

About 5 hours later I had a thawed fuzzy warmed up by the light and dangling infront of his hide but nothing. So left it a few inches outside the hide overnight. Across the room i could see him using it as a pillow and laying on it which i found very strange. Whats that about?

Either way, he didnt eat it and i removed it this morning before work.

What is my best coarse of action from here? I know I did stupid things but am still learning as a beginner snake owner.

Sorry for the really long post and spelling errors as this was pretty rushed. I just want to rectify the issue and feel like I might have left a bad taste in his mouth in respect to his first impressions of F/T. He gets super stressed then his owner drops in a cold mouse.. I know I would not be a happy camper after that. Please help
    Last edited by BigBlue56; 04-16-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks

Re: New BP Owner Here, Seeking Advice.

Don't handle or look in on him a lot for about a week. Second, I would keep an eye on him, pet store snakes don't always have the tendency to be healthy considering he's very small in size.

Second, once the week of no handling arrives, try a f/t and a live, so you can see which he prefers.

Third, once you make a feeding attempt, weather he eats or not, don't handle him after for that day. If he eats, make it two days before handling.

Hope that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A.VinczeBPs For This Useful Post:

BigBlue56 (04-16-2010)

Thanks

Thanks, i'll give that a try. Although, I had planned on trying to feed again tomorrow. I know he is small and a bit thin and REALLY wanna get some food in him.

I know he is hungry and before yesterday he seemed pretty happy. Rarely trying to escape, hiding alot and only cruising around at night.

Just not sure..

Thanks

If the husbandry is right (from what you listed it seemed to be) then I would think your bp is either stressed, or needs to feed live until its established in its new home. I've had to do the later, and switch the picky bp after a few weeks of feeding on live in his new surroundings.

You could try to fill (yes fill) the ground area with crumpled newspaper to see if it helps to make your bp feel more secure. This has worked for me in the past.

About your bp getting 'super defensive', I wouldnt worry about it to much at this point. Young bps can get defensive sometimes. As you handle it, it will learn there is nothing to get defensive about. I had a pastel that would have a panic attack whenever it would be handled. I handled him more often and he quickly grew out of it lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flynn For This Useful Post:

BigBlue56 (04-16-2010)

Thanks

I know my temps arent perfect yet, otherwise he wouldn't just stay in the cold side all the time, but thats being rectified as we speak. Now that I have a rheostat my heat pad is working now (it was too hot so i shut it off and just used the heat lamp).

Ill try the newspaper thing. Do you suggest I try once more with F/T after a day or two that way he will be calmer?

I did hold him once for about 20 min and he seemed to enjoy it although we were both very nervous..

Thanks

If you think hes stressed, or if you have just offered f/t then I wouldnt try again for a week.

If your nervous while holding him, he will know it! You need to realize that this little worm cant hurt you and there really is nothing to be nervous about. The more confident you are the easier handling will be.

Thanks

I don't suggest trying in a few days. Wait the week to let him settle down, not just from your handling but from moving to a new home.

After a week, try live first because that's what he was given, then try f/t the same night. Leave the f/t one in over night as well in the dark, and take it out in the morning.

If he still does not eat, wait the full week without handling at all. Once he eats, you can handle for a short time (15min) two days after a meal, if you do before he could regurgitate.

Patience. Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks guys

Really helpful ideas here.

I'm not so nervous because I fear what he can do, its more nervous that I am completely unfamiliar with the animal and dont know his body language yet. That and just nervous about giving him the most comfortable environment possible. I love my new buddy and just want him to be healthy and happy.

I am sitting on my bed right now, and he is across the room in a dark corner but I see him out side his hide looking at me like "wheres that damn mouse you put in here.. I am hungry!".

Wishful thinking perhaps

Thanks

you've been given great advice so far, but ditch the half log as a hide. Get him small round TIGHT fitting hides he can cram into and that will help him feel a lot more secure.

Thanks

BTW, anyone know what he was doing using the mouse as a pillow? Laying on top of it, crawling around it.. etc.

Very odd..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast