Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,392

3 members and 2,389 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Incubating my first clutch of eggs, incubator issues.

I'm presently incubating my 1st clutch of eggs (mojave x normal). I'm using a DIY incubator made out of a large Styrofoam box which is 1.5'' thick. The box is large enough to hold a single 16QT sterlite tub and have a few inches of spacing from the tub to the walls. I have 2x 24'' strips of 3'' flexwatt lining the bottom. I have water bottles on top of the heat tape and egg crate above them for the tub to rest one. The incubator is run with a herpstat t-stat set to 90 degrees. I also have 2 small fans plugged into the t-stat. The incubator is in my master bed room's closet. Presently we don't have the heater or AC on and its in the mid to high 60s in the house. I typically see the t-stat reading temps from 88.6-90.1 with 88.8-9 being the average.

I've had this incubator running for several weeks before it was in use and set the egg tub in it after post ovulation shed. I had condensation issues from the start. I'm afraid to say I didn't try to resolve this much till eggs where in place.

I'm using a few inches of 2:1 coarse vermiculite to perilite by volume. I tried the normal recommendation 1:1 ratio of media to water by weight but it felt pretty dry to me. I ended up just putting the media in a container with a couple inches of water letting the media soak for a few seconds and then grabbing handfuls media wringing out as much water as possible and then adding it to the egg tub. I made sure the clump help in place once I opened my hand and broke up when poked.

I was looking at several threads yesterday and decided to take up RichsBallPythons advice and remove the press n seal as I'm using substrateless incubation. I also added a couple cupfuls of water as Rich keeps him media wet as the lids are not air tight. When I checked this morning I had a fine mist forming on the bottom of a lid. My lid is clamped shut (one clamp on each side) should I not be using the provided clamps that are installed to the tubs? I decided to put the probe into the egg tub this morning to see if that helps. I already had a whole in place for it so I didn't have to open the container just remove the tape covering the whole in the egg tub long enough to insert the probe.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Xavier
    Last edited by XSReptiles; 04-16-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks

Re: Incubating my first clutch of eggs, incubator issues.

my egg boxes are set up i na coke machine but they also have the condensation on the egg box lids. it not a real big issue as it was also in my hobuvator last year for the single clutch I had I just palced a paper towl over the eggs to kee pthe mosutre from making direct contact.
    you can tile it just a little ( the egg box and so the condensation will run down the lid and drip off to a side or end ( depends on angle) if your worried but I never did.)

Now were you got the eater sitting in the egg box you xan leave the lid un lock for now to allow soem moisutre to escape but i would lockthe lid down before the eggs are laid ( if possible) so the medium not too dry.

nota pro breeder so let the more experience chime in too .
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

I personally would take everything out of the styrofome and put it in a large cooler, that you put like drinks and stuff in to stay cold. Those work the best and take out the vermiculite and get hatchright if your a first timer vermiculite can be very complicated to use. Hope this helps =D

-Payson

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

If your using a styrofoam incubator in a cool room, that may be your problem. The condensation can be a result of cooler air getting in slightly causing the water build up.

For got to say that to you but temps are a major reason why you get water build up as well. Removing The press n seal will help minimize this but you need to get the bator in a 70+ room with that type of cooler.

I incubate at 88.6 with a herpstat, not sure what your using but most on off type t-stats cause a lot of fluctuations in cool houses and theres where sweating of eggs start and or box condensation.
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 04-16-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    If your using a styrofoam incubator in a cool room, that may be your problem. The condensation can be a result of cooler air getting in slightly causing the water build up.

For got to say that to you but temps are a major reason why you get water build up as well. Removing The press n seal will help minimize this but you need to get the bator in a 70+ room with that type of cooler.

I incubate at 88.6 with a herpstat, not sure what your using but most on off type t-stats cause a lot of fluctuations in cool houses and theres where sweating of eggs start and or box condensation.
    I have wondered if this might be a contributing factor to my problem. Yet the thermostat should be regulating the temps in the incubator. Could the issue be purely from when I check the eggs and open the incubator? If the incubator is sealed then there shouldn't be any issues while its closed correct? My only other option is to keep the incubator in my garage yet I don't want to risk the eggs in there and come home to find it 90+ in the garage on a warm day.

Xavier

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

You should only be checking your eggs once a week or once ever 2 weeks. I personally set them and leave them till day 40. Once you figure out your problem its smooth sailing after that.

opening and closing yes will cause cool air to get in and can cause condensation without problem. Try not to open it and if you do, open it in a warm room so its warmer air exchanging in the incubator

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

XSReptiles (04-16-2010)