Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,156

2 members and 1,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Two Questions...

I used the search function but couldn't really seem to find definitive answers to two questions that I have, so here goes:

1) What size tub is best for a full grown adult BP? I see that most people seem to max out at 41 quarts, is this sufficient?

2) This is probably a touchy one, but do you guys prefer belly or back heat better? I know that belly aids in digestion but I have also seen that people really like back heat a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Re: Two Questions...

Well I can only attest to what I do.

I have both 32 and 41....eventually the 32's will be for the boys and the 41's will be for the girls

I also have belly heat...never tried back heat. But belly just makes more sense to me.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

1. 41qt is just about perfect, maybe something a bit larger like a 45 for big females, but 41 is typically great.

2. Belly!! Much easier to control temps (thermo/rheostats). Besides, back heat dries out the enclosure, and with lights (of all colors--red blue, purple, you name it) you have to deal with photoperiods, which is a hassle, and then you have to worry about night temps. The only real back heat that doesn't give off light are the CHEs, and those REALLY dry out the enclosure. But I don't have anything against people who use back heat for their snakes. If you can keep temps and humidity stable with back heat, good for you. Back heat just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But whatever works for you.

Thanks

**Just to clarify, I believe that back heat is the only way to go when it comes to lizards; they can't judge temperatures via bellies, which is why heat rocks and things are such problems. Snakes mostly sense temps with their bellies. Belly heat for snakes, back heat for lizards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Herps View Post
    1. 41qt is just about perfect, maybe something a bit larger like a 45 for big females, but 41 is typically great.

2. Belly!! Much easier to control temps (thermo/rheostats). Besides, back heat dries out the enclosure, and with lights (of all colors--red blue, purple, you name it) you have to deal with photoperiods, which is a hassle, and then you have to worry about night temps. The only real back heat that doesn't give off light are the CHEs, and those REALLY dry out the enclosure. But I don't have anything against people who use back heat for their snakes. If you can keep temps and humidity stable with back heat, good for you. Back heat just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But whatever works for you.

Back heat isn't heating the "back" of the snake via lights or CHE. Back heat is using the flex watt tape running up the back side of the rack vs. running it along the shelves for belly heat.

Back heat works fine, but belly heat works a lot better I think. I have both setups and I prefer the belly over the back.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks

I use belly heat Big females will require a 41, alot of more normal sized adult females can stay in 32

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Herps View Post
    back heat is not the same thing as overhead heat. As stated earlier, Back heat is when you run a big piece of flexwatt down the back of the rack instead of under the tubs.

I personally have only used belly heat. I would rather not run my thermostats at higher temps like you would likely need for back heat.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Oh okay, sorry for the confusion. In that case, I still prefer belly heat.