Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,556

4 members and 1,552 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF at petco

Thanks

WTF at petco

I had an interesting experience earlier today when I was visiting a petco in Union NJ. I was walking around with a friend looking for something for a new puppy she was getting and told her I was going over to look at the reptiles. It took an assosicate a little hile to get the keys for the ball python tank and he didn't seem comfortable or knowledgable about the ball pythons so I offered to take them out myself. He said there were quite a few in there So as I was gently removing them from one another I was just checking their overall appearence until I came across the last one which was at the bottom of the pile. The thing was not much thicker than my thumb and looked like it had extra skin just laying around. The thickest part of its body could not be thicker than a nickel and the problem with that is that the guy said they got them all in at the same time. The others I would say were around 150 grams because they looked about the same size of my BP now. This thing could not have weighed more than 50g or so. He said oh we should probably try and feed it or something and he seems like he had no clue how to take care of the situation. Now I am planning on calling corporate tomorrow to see if they can do anything to fix the situation, or should I just call the store and try and talk to the store manager about the lack or care being shown to one of their animals?
    1.1 Yellowbelly "Samson"/"Lily"
    0.1 Pastel
    0.2 Normals??
    0.0.4 Baby Chickens
    & 4 Herp Shows

http://herpdaily.com/breeder-intervi...iness-success/
    Just a good little article

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Re: WTF at petco

Yeah this is sad to say the least. The petco by me is pretty good with their reptiles but the petsmart is horrible. They dont even carry ball pythons anymore as far as I can tell. I only go there if it is absolutely needed. Im boycotting petsmart for their contributions to the HSUS. Petco on the other hand, I will go to for certain things for my dogs and cat that I cant find anywhere else. I have also seen pretty bad conditions at my local petland. There is not much we can do about this other than let our friend know. Personal friends and those here at bp.net.

It is almost always a dead end to try to educate someone working there when you are simply a lowly customer. When I see things like this I shake my head and walk on just hoping that someday soon they will get a proper clue as to how to care for these animals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Yeah this is sad to say the least. The petco by me is pretty good with their reptiles but the petsmart is horrible. They dont even carry ball pythons anymore as far as I can tell. I only go there if it is absolutely needed. Im boycotting petsmart for their contributions to the HSUS. Petco on the other hand, I will go to for certain things for my dogs and cat that I cant find anywhere else. I have also seen pretty bad conditions at my local petland. There is not much we can do about this other than let our friend know. Personal friends and those here at bp.net.

It is almost always a dead end to try to educate someone working there when you are simply a lowly customer. When I see things like this I shake my head and walk on just hoping that someday soon they will get a proper clue as to how to care for these animals.
    Your statement makes me sad, it makes me feel like I just have to sit back and let what may happen, happen. I wish there was a way to help the little guy or get him out of there somehow, I just feel horrible seeing him like that. I mean I am new to BPs and everything but even I can tell that he looked extremely sickly. Should I not even make an effort to tell someone who works there or corporate?
    1.1 Yellowbelly "Samson"/"Lily"
    0.1 Pastel
    0.2 Normals??
    0.0.4 Baby Chickens
    & 4 Herp Shows

http://herpdaily.com/breeder-intervi...iness-success/
    Just a good little article

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

thats why i dont buy anything at any of the chain stores. i use a mom and pop store. i made friends with the guy that runs the shop so if i need anything he will order it for me so i dont have to buy from the chain stores. my advice to everyone is to find a small pet store and hang out in there make friends and then you can avoid the bigger stores.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Bizarre View Post
    Your statement makes me sad, it makes me feel like I just have to sit back and let what may happen, happen. I wish there was a way to help the little guy or get him out of there somehow, I just feel horrible seeing him like that. I mean I am new to BPs and everything but even I can tell that he looked extremely sickly. Should I not even make an effort to tell someone who works there or corporate?
    That is very understandable and I feel the same way BUT... I have learned that we cant "rescue" all the animals we see in pet stores like this or it only gives them a reason to keep these animals in stock. They will continue this treatment as long as people are buying the animals. It takes self control but you need to remember that you are saving many more snakes by not buying that one or two that you see in bad conditions. Thats why we need to let our friends and family know and recommend that no one buy animals from these places. In the end this is the best thing for these animals. Of the 30 something reptiles I now have, only 1 is from a pet store and she was purchased 7 yrs ago from a well known reptile store. She was still very sick when I got her despite the stores reputation. Stores like these break my heart but all we can do is continue to educate so more and more people will care for these animals the right way.

~Monica..

Thanks

My wife works at Petco. Just because one employee didn't know about them, doesn't mean they don't have anyone knowledgeable on staff. They feed once a week and don't always keep a feeding record because it's just too hard to tell different snakes apart that cohabitate.

Your best bet is to inform the stores manager. He's the one that cares if it dies (store will lose money). Also, all Petco's have vets for their region which doesn't cost the store anything. They would much rather have the snake make it, so they can sell it and make a 50%+ profit. Letting corporate know probably won't do anything.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I work at Petsmart in NY and we still sell ball pythons. It depends on the store. I do not agree with the contributions to HSUS by Petsmart either, but I REFUSE to go to Petco for reptiles. Always bad conditions for the animals. At least at Petsmart it is a company policy to have them in adequate (not perfect) conditions. I have never once in my 2 years working at a few Petsmart's, seen a snake come in malnourished and the store try to sell it.

It's a shame. Utter shame.

"They are NOT rights if they can be taken away. Merely limited privleges."

Thanks

It can't hurt to try and talk to the store manager. You can't blame them if they don't know they are doing wrong! We need to educate so they can be better in the future. At least you can sleep at night knowing you did your part!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spitfireashlea View Post
    but I REFUSE to go to Petco for reptiles. Always bad conditions for the animals. At least at Petsmart it is a company policy to have them in adequate (not perfect) conditions. I have never once in my 2 years working at a few Petsmart's, seen a snake come in malnourished and the store try to sell it.
    You obviously must work closer to PetSmart headquarters or something. The PetSmarts around Atlanta are horrible for reptiles. They keep them in MUCH smaller quarters, they all have the same temperature and I have never seen a care sheet there. I'd also venture a guess that your local PetCo and PetSmart get their animals from the same breeders.

PetSmart is a good place for tank decorations and tank accessories. They also have the cheapest digital thermometers out of all the stores.
    Pet Supplies Plus is a good place for feeders, just make sure you gut load them first. They suck with their husbandry.
    Pet Supermarket is good only for their sales. You can get UTHs for cheap during the two big sales a year that they have. You can also get custom reptile enclosures for cheap...though they are cheaply made.
    PetCo is only really good for frozen mice/rats and their $1 a gallon tank sales.
    PetLand everything and I mean everything is overpriced. $75 for a neonate king snake....no thanks. $250 for a yearling ball....no thanks.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

Well first speak with your dollar. Don't buy from bad stores ever. Not anything.

I wish there was a training program in place to teach these employees about reptiles. I mean Part of me can't imagine it's cruelty..though part of me can knowing how some people irrationally hate snakes. Still I think alot of these care problems at big box pet stores are ignorance based.

Some are just lazyness. I know about working retail, and it can be hard to make yourself care. Still if your working with animals you need to be on the spot because there little lives are in your hands.

Honestly I wish big stores like petsmart and petco wouldn't sell reptiles if they can't do it right. Because I know I will never buy from them. I'd much rather deal with breeders.
    "Be Excellent to each other, And Party on Dudes."
    Pets
    1.2 Cats (Hyuga, Luna, Saki)
    0.1 Woma Python
    1.1 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pastel "Opera",1.0 Pinstripe, 1.0 Spider "Carcillo"
    0.0.1 Striped California Kingsnake "Ceaser" 0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake "Bullet"
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast