Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

2 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: good beginner monitor or tegu?

As Skiploder is saying, "beginner" and monitors don't really go well together.

If there is any specific species care you are interested in, ask away. There are a few keepers here who either have worked with, or are working with, a species you may be interested in.

I didn't get a monitor until I had over 10 years of reptile experience (closer to 20), and I still needed a lot of education. But I was successful - and my first species? Varanus niloticus! He lived to be sixteen...

If your only experience with herps is putting bps in tubs then you better do A LOT of research.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mumps For This Useful Post:

BOWSER11788 (05-13-2010),Nadamamasboy (05-13-2010)

Thanks

MUmps, hit the nail, or should i say Skiploader, the Mumps, and im hear to beat it in as well, not talking you out of one. just saying if you might need to be educated more,
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Yeah....gotta really work on that realism when shooting a movie with a woman who has snakes for hair and can turn you to stone with a look....what were they thinking???

Thanks

I did research for 2 months before i considered buying my monitor and ive been keeping snakes for about 5 years and i had an iggy for about 8 years before he died of some random virus (he was kept outside and the vet i took him too said there was something going around killing all outdoor reps)

i got a water and a sav (not planning on 2, little impulse buy) and can say that even though i had talked with some of the most regarded monitor people in the industry and thought i had everythign set up and perfect i was about 65% of the way. Thankfully i had the essentials covered and it was very easy to fix, but if i hadnt had mumps and slayers help im sure my little guy wouldnt have had a very happy/long life.

what are you experienced with as far as keeping reptiles? I know im in a little over my head with my guys, but my wallet and sleep time has paid for it and im slowely, and knock on wood, getting there and hav noticed the way my little guys are acting are starting to be more "monitor"ish and less hide and seak ish more and more every day
    Retics: 0.1 Sulawesi Lady 0.1 Bali Yellow Head Goldielocks 1.0 Super Tiger Shere Khan 1.0 Purple Tiger Lucien
    Pythons: 0.1 Coastal Carpet Tinkerbell 0.1 Black Blood Toothless Boas: 1.0 Surinam RUCA
    Dont forget 2.2.2 Cresteds 0.0.2 Sulcatas and 0.0.1 Desert Hariy!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12