Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,046

3 members and 3,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Question about hiding spots.....

I think I am misunderstanding what "basking temp" means.

So basking temperature is just the temp. of the substrate, while the ambient is the overall air around? A UTH can usually control all of this?

Based on that logic a UTH can usually control the temps. however the lamps are just used as a supplement. So if the UTH doesn't generate all the propwer heat than the lamp can help with the rest?

Thanks

They mean basking in a different manner.

Also, they say the bulb is a replacement for an UTH not use both.

I'm just giving common advice, it's up to you to choose what you listen to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EvesFriend View Post
    Well ont only is that stated in a book written in 2005 but it's also on pretty much every single website I check. They all mention you needing a basking spot of 90 deg. and a regular temp of 85 or so deg.

Even on the Caresheet for BP's on this website it says:

~80F (ambient temps)
    ~90F (basking temps)

Ball pythons do very well when heated from below (UTH = under tank heat). This can be achieved with heat mats made specifically for this purpose and found in most pet stores. Also available through online retailers is a product called Flexwatt, which is a thin sheet of heating elements that comes in a wide variety of customizable sizes.

And finally, overhead heat in the form of light bulbs or Ceramic Heat Emitters (CHE). A CHE screws into a socket like a bulb, but provides only heat without any light. These can be used as a supplement to a UTH to help maintain warm enough ambient temps.
    Yup, this is exactly what we are telling you. 80 cool side, 90 hot side, (or "basking" spot). They do not need a light, UNLESS, you can't keep the right temperatures. In fact, the reason why a heat lamp is only mentioned as supplementary heat is because they tend to dry everything up really bad, and you also need humidity at 50%.
    Now that we have all read it a thousand times, let move on to any other questions that you might have!

Thanks

I think I am misunderstanding what "basking temp" means.

So basking temperature is just the temp. of the substrate, while the ambient is the overall air around? A UTH can usually control all of this?

Based on that logic a UTH can usually control the temps. however the lamps are just used as a supplement. So if the UTH doesn't generate all the propwer heat than the lamp can help with the rest?
    Bingo. But only use the lamp if your ambient temps won't stay at a good level, otherwise not needed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr. s View Post
    Yup, this is exactly what we are telling you. 80 cool side, 90 hot side, (or "basking" spot). They do not need a light, UNLESS, you can't keep the right temperatures. In fact, the reason why a heat lamp is only mentioned as supplementary heat is because they tend to dry everything up really bad, and you also need humidity at 50%.
    Now that we have all read it a thousand times, let move on to any other questions that you might have!
    So all I really need then as a hea tsource is a UTH? If I need an additional heat source, such as a lamp, this should still go on the same side as the UTH?

Thanks

So all I really need then as a hea tsource is a UTH? If I need an additional heat source, such as a lamp, this should still go on the same side as the UTH?
    If you need additional heat on the cold side, put the lamp over that side, not the side with the UTH. Again though, you probably won't need the extra heat.
    On a side note, if you do still use the lamp, make sure your humidity is alright since those lamps tend to dry out the air too much.

Thanks

Would you reccommend the lamp on the sam eside as the UTH?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Okay, I think you are over thinking this a little bit so I will do my best to break it down for you.

The "basking" temp you keep seeing is just the hot side temp. This can be maintained using only a UTH. Keep in mind a UTH should always have something controlling it. You could use a temporary rheostat (light dimmer) but it is preferable to have a reptile thermostat. If you don't have one of these, your snake will burrow down into its substrate and burn itself on the glass. They don't have the same heat receptors as we do so they can't tell if they are getting too hot.

If your normal house temperature is lower then 75*, you can either get another UTH controlled by a dimmer inline with the thermostat on the cool side, or you can get a low wattage lamp for the cool side. The catch with the lamp is that it will lower your humidity considerably. UTHs impact humidity very little, but lamps will reduce it quite a bit.

Lastly, make sure you are measuring your hot spot temp with a digital thermometer with a probe and digital thermometers and hygrometers to measure ambient temp and humidity. I find many people will have 3 heat sources and are still struggling with heat, when really the problem is their stick on round thermometers. Those are not accurate and you will probably end up cooking your animal if you rely on those for temperature measurements.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Would you reccommend the lamp on the sam eside as the UTH?
    Just gotta play it by ear. We have all struggled with that balancing act. Just recently I realized that I have a walk in closet that maintains an ambient temperature of 80 in the day if I keep a light on, so I moved almost all my snakes in there onto shelves and it is working great. Everyone has different problems.
    Set the uth up, with a dimmer, check warm and cool side temperatures and see if it needs something more. Usually, the lamp is for ambient temperatures (air temperature), so it can go on the cool side or the middle even, as long as the hot spot does not get much over 92 or so. As many people have mentioned, burning is a real problem.
    It is a lot to take in and seems so complicated at first, but we have all been through it at some point with our first snake.
    Good luck, and keep the questions coming!

Thanks

Just gotta play it by ear. We have all struggled with that balancing act. Just recently I realized that I have a walk in closet that maintains an ambient temperature of 80 in the day if I keep a light on, so I moved almost all my snakes in there onto shelves and it is working great. Everyone has different problems.
    Set the uth up, with a dimmer, check warm and cool side temperatures and see if it needs something more. Usually, the lamp is for ambient temperatures (air temperature), so it can go on the cool side or the middle even, as long as the hot spot does not get much over 92 or so. As many people have mentioned, burning is a real problem.
    It is a lot to take in and seems so complicated at first, but we have all been through it at some point with our first snake.
    Good luck, and keep the questions coming!

When you refer to the "hot spot," is this the basking/substrate area that needs to be around 90 degrees? The ambient air can be a bit lower, correct?

Also, he's been laying on the basking side for awhile now because I was obviously completely confused about what basking means and he has not gotten burned. I don't have a thermostat so I assume that the temperature is right not to burn him and he hasn't burrowed either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast