Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,347

3 members and 3,344 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Pictures of Our Filly's First and Second Trail Ride

Quote Originally Posted by kristan View Post
    I have worked with this problem a few times....I tend to "bother" them with something. I think the easiest way for you to do this is to get a pair of the nub spurs (like English riders use) that are just like a blunt stub and and lightly kick her with them, and I mean very light lightly - so she's annoyed, until she moves. You could use your crop for this and just continuously tap her with it but if you use spurs you can keep your hands ready for when she starts to pop up a bit, which it sounds like she may. If she starts popping up like she's going to throw a buck I would make sure to keep her head up and continue kicking. I went through this with my barrel mare when I first got her and it took me over an hour of sitting motionless in pouring rain but she never had that problem again. Also, as soon as she takes a few steps (maybe 3?) I would immediately have her stop and get off, giver her a break, a treat..something, or if it's feasible, just let her be done for the day. Good luck!
    I have a pair of western spurs but I only wear them when I barrel race because my mare gets really worked up. I don't kick her but she can feel them brush against her and they are the kind that make a lot of noise. The first time I wore them on her during a competition was the first time I took her through the pattern in 4 years and before that it was just for fun on the farm! She ended up only 3 seconds behind the fastest horse and that horse does it professionally! It was awesome Especially the fact that my mare was 14 years older than the horse that won! That was my first time in a competition as well! Anyway back to the filly! I'll have to get some English spurs, I was wondering if I should. I didn't think about not having two hands to control her if I use the crop

I'll be sure to get off her if she takes a few steps! I didn't even think about that! I'm glad you mentioned that!

Thanks for all your advise it's great! I would call the trainer but he is really short on the phone and I just assume not bothering with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isis;1305741Going across a fairly large bridge on the highway. Again, Tora, the filly, acted like it was nothing, she barely looked around.
    [IMG
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/enzoleya/Horses/055.jpg[/IMG]
    Funny what Iowan's call a highway...Did the horses have any trouble with all that traffic?

Great looking horses!
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Funny what Iowan's call a highway...Did the horses have any trouble with all that traffic?

Great looking horses!
    Oh my gosh! I just checked this in class and I almost died laughing! I knew someone would eventually call me out on that! Yes that's a highway to us! It's even in better condition than most And no problems with traffic, we hardly ever run into cars on that road, the occasional tractor sure

Thanks

When she does not want to move try making her give to the bit one rain at a time. As soon as she gives make sure you give her a quick release count to three and then make her give again. Keep on repeating until her nose is almost at your knee then hold it there. Work both sides. Eventually her neck muscles will start to tire and she will move. Whenever she moves forward release right away. As soon as she stops repeat. It may take her 20 min. to make that 1st forward step, but this technique really does work. She will soon realize that it is a lot more work involved standing still than moving.

Good luck with her!! She looks like she is doing great! I have two 2 yr olds to break out this year. LOL they are a lot of fun! I used to run barrels, show english, western, jumping, ect... Now I just break and train.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12