Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

4 members and 3,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Croc monitor

Thanks

Re: Croc monitor

BallPython17.

How old is that exanthematicus? You say you've had him since he was a baby. Looks to be about 8 months old to me.

This is my Varanus ornatus, captive bred and 18 months old. He's almost 5 feet in length...

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    BallPython17.

How old is that exanthematicus? You say you've had him since he was a baby. Looks to be about 8 months old to me.

This is my Varanus ornatus, captive bred and 18 months old. He's almost 5 feet in length...

Chris
    that is one beautiful monitor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BallsUnlimited For This Useful Post:

mumps (04-08-2010)

Thanks

Anyone who has kept a leopard gecko or Savannah Monitor is qualified to go onto Retic forums and dispense husbandry and medical advice about care for potentially 22 foot snakes, despite having never been around them before. If someone has a real and difficult question, they can just link to a caresheet from Bob's Herptile Site, and be thanked profusely and told that they are the only ones really helping in the thread.
    Im guessing this is directed at me. The funny thing is my medical advice on the meds destroying flora in the digestive tract is completely acurate, if you dont believe me your either ignorant or know nothing about what the medications are actually doing. I gave him the caresheet for general information, such as the temps, since his temps were too low. Just because i havent been around a croc before doesnt mean i know what the meds will actually to do its inner workings.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks

My savy is about a year and a half old. At first every five months he would grow a foot now he's a good 2 feet and probably a little more. Recently he's been getting fatter instead of longer. Then again, he's a savy, they don't get that big. And on top off that i was told she was a female.
    1.0 cinny, 1.0 pastel, 1.2 spider, 0.3 normals, 1.0 mojo, 1.0 albino, 1.0 fire, 1.1 yellowbelly, 1.0 het. pied, 1.0 lesser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPython17 View Post
    My savy is about a year and a half old. At first every five months he would grow a foot now he's a good 2 feet and probably a little more. Recently he's been getting fatter instead of longer. Then again, he's a savy, they don't get that big. And on top off that i was told she was a female.
    ive stayed out of this thread and just read for comic relief for as long as i could. NOW I WILL SAY RIGHT NOW I HAVE 0 MONITOR EXPERIECE. I am getting my frist savvy this sunday and have had his setup ready and dry running making sure of temps and everything is ok for the last week, just so i dont have any problems, and have been reading the past 2 months on everything i can about them. Wether its the proexotic sheets on all their monitors to everything else i can about them. Thats 2 months for a savvy, for a croc? id start reading now, and think about getting one the day after i died....

that being said you last statement is probably the most RETARDED thing anyone in this thread has said. a year and a half would make it give or take 18 months, and by your statement, HE was going a foot every 5 months... 18/5=3... 3*1' = ~3' and change.... but somehow HE is 2 feet and possibly change, but wait! all of a sudden at the end of your post HE is now a SHE, after you have been typing he for the whole first part of your paragraph...

I do hope this situation ends well for you, i wont with ill on you or your poor monitor, but IF, notice i dont say when, but im sure it is a when, it takes your finger, hand, or god only knows what, i do hope you come back and tell us.
    Last edited by JLuck13; 04-08-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Retics: 0.1 Sulawesi Lady 0.1 Bali Yellow Head Goldielocks 1.0 Super Tiger Shere Khan 1.0 Purple Tiger Lucien
    Pythons: 0.1 Coastal Carpet Tinkerbell 0.1 Black Blood Toothless Boas: 1.0 Surinam RUCA
    Dont forget 2.2.2 Cresteds 0.0.2 Sulcatas and 0.0.1 Desert Hariy!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLuck13 View Post
    ive stayed out of this thread and just read for comic relief for as long as i could. NOW I WILL SAY RIGHT NOW I HAVE 0 MONITOR EXPERIECE. I am getting my frist savvy this sunday and have had his setup ready and dry running making sure of temps and everything is ok for the last week, just so i dont have any problems, and have been reading the past 2 months on everything i can about them. Wether its the proexotic sheets on all their monitors to everything else i can about them. Thats 2 months for a savvy, for a croc? id start reading now, and think about getting one the day after i died....

that being said you last statement is probably the most RETARDED thing anyone in this thread has said. a year and a half would make it give or take 18 months, and by your statement, HE was going a foot every 5 months... 18/5=3... 3*1' = ~3' and change.... but somehow HE is 2 feet and possibly change, but wait! all of a sudden at the end of your post HE is now a SHE, after you have been typing he for the whole first part of your paragraph...

I do hope this situation ends well for you, i wont with ill on you or your poor monitor, but IF, notice i dont say when, but im sure it is a when, it takes your finger, hand, or god only knows what, i do hope you come back and tell us.
    Um, buddy. I type he or she just because Im not sure if he is a he or a she. and plus he is shorter to type than she. regardless im not breeding them so i don't care if he is a he or a she. second savy usually get about 3 to 4 feet, obviously males being bigger and people tell me mines a girl. and from what ive noticed, when monitors get to a certain lenght they'll start getting more bulkier instead of getting longer. And my savy has been getting more bulky than long.

Oh and if he does take a finger or injures me than hey, thats what happens when you keep dangerous animals. I hope your retic doesn't kill you. Cuz if my monitor can take of my finger your retic can kill you for sure.
    Last edited by BallPython17; 04-08-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    1.0 cinny, 1.0 pastel, 1.2 spider, 0.3 normals, 1.0 mojo, 1.0 albino, 1.0 fire, 1.1 yellowbelly, 1.0 het. pied, 1.0 lesser

Thanks

Croc monitors are very beautiful. I know you got this monitor going in blind. From the post i read you didnt know enough. I learn as much as i can get the enclosure right, then i buy. Dont get me wrong. Im not saying you cant take care of him/her, but your off to a really bad start. Do yourself and him/her a big favor and give it to a zoo or something. It would be best. Then learn as much as you can about them, and buy or make the proper enclosure, then get one.I love my nile and water monitors but i wouldnt get a croc monitor. Monitors will never be tame. They will always be wild. Yes they can get comfortable around us but they can still pose a threat. Always remember that. And like i said dont get me wrong. And if you do keep him/her i hope you can get that enclosure built fast. I also hope you move him into a larger quarantine enclosure. I do wish you and him/her the best no matter what you do.

Thanks

Try to actually read what he is saying before you say his statement is retarded and then come in guns blazin and sound like a fool yourself. He said AT FIRST he was growing about a foot every 5 months. That was AT FIRST. He never stated he has been continually growing a foot every 5 months for the past 18 months.

Just post was truly junk, and it would have been better for you to just stay out of the thread and just continue to read it for "comic relief".
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks

How many at first 5 months can you have when were talking about an animal that lives as long as monitors do? For the extra keystroke it is for a she not he seems like the extra effort would have been worth it to not contradict yourself mid paragraph :/

I know my retic will have the possibility to kill me but I also know a large retic isn't something to be handled by myself and as much as I hate it if it ever latched onto me and was a life or death situation the people that will be with me will have to problem pulling out their knifes and killing Lady and I would do the same if she went after them. You balso hit the point where how often there isn't much handling to do with an 18+ ft snake. Knock on wood my retic is one of my only snakes that has never even tried to strike/lunge at me, I have also had her from her being 13 weeks old to now 6 1/4' seems that more people worry about a crroc monitor than an adult retic
    Retics: 0.1 Sulawesi Lady 0.1 Bali Yellow Head Goldielocks 1.0 Super Tiger Shere Khan 1.0 Purple Tiger Lucien
    Pythons: 0.1 Coastal Carpet Tinkerbell 0.1 Black Blood Toothless Boas: 1.0 Surinam RUCA
    Dont forget 2.2.2 Cresteds 0.0.2 Sulcatas and 0.0.1 Desert Hariy!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLuck13 View Post
    How many at first 5 months can you have when were talking about an animal that lives as long as monitors do? For the extra keystroke it is for a she not he seems like the extra effort would have been worth it to not contradict yourself mid paragraph :/

I know my retic will have the possibility to kill me but I also know a large retic isn't something to be handled by myself and as much as I hate it if it ever latched onto me and was a life or death situation the people that will be with me will have to problem pulling out their knifes and killing Lady and I would do the same if she went after them. You balso hit the point where how often there isn't much handling to do with an 18+ ft snake. Knock on wood my retic is one of my only snakes that has never even tried to strike/lunge at me, I have also had her from her being 13 weeks old to now 6 1/4' seems that more people worry about a crroc monitor than an adult retic
    I've owned retics in the past. I know what you mean that some will be a bit tame. But a retic is an animal that i will never trust when it's big enough to get a hold of me and over power me. It only takes that one time when your retic is 12+ feet and he mistakes you for food. Now you got a problem. As of people being more concerned of croc monitors than retics, I would have to disagree. A croc monitor will have the potential to injure me badly, but not to the point where he would kill me. Now a retic, they are powerful, once those coils are on you, your in serious trouble. Now I won't discourage you to own your retic or any big snake as long as your up for the consequences (if something occurs) and that you are up for the challenge and aren't scared of some pain.

Now at the end they are great animals, just like my croc. I'm up for the challenge of owning a croc monitor and if I get injured, thats all on me. And like I said, the start with my croc isn't good so far. But it will be, because he will be taken care off.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast