Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,436

1 members and 3,435 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Croc monitor

Thanks

Re: Croc monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    You may not like how he's saying it, but I can't see how you can't read between the lines.

So far, the guy who you are intent on having a running battle with is giving you the best advice on this thread. Maybe if I say it more politely, you will stop wasting your time flexing your e-mouth and get your animal digesting food again.

(1) You picked a very demanding and potentially dangerous animal to keep. I would ignore any care-sheet that down play the damage this animal could do to you. Monitors are not dogs and the potential for this monitor to seriously hurt you is very real - more real than it ever becoming "dog tame".

(2) I don't care what the situation is, as Pat and others have stated, that 55 gallon glass aquarium is inadequate - even for a day. Asking for plans to build a larger enclosure at this point is a waste of time. My advice is to get him into something of adequate size. Hint - a glass aquarium of any size is nothing but a varanus jerky making machine - so don't even bother going there. That animal is going to need a 16' long x 6' deep x 8' high enclosure when it's an adult. If I may be so bold to assume you are having hard time getting an adequate sized enclosure for him as a juvenile, you are going to find it impossible to provide an adequate adult sized enclosure.

(3) As has been stated, your temps are too low. I'd give him the option of a 135 degree hot spot. The cage you give him now will need to be big enough to allow a cool end that is in the 80s. The 55 gallon aquarium won't cut it.

(4) Do not self diagnose and self treat this animal for internal parasites. In your case, I would strongly recommend you him to a Vet and have him properly treated.

The fact that your croc is regurging, in cramped quarters and being kept at suboptimal temperatures is bad. You may not like hearing this, but no matter what you say your experience is with these animals, the fact that you were not prepared to provide it with proper care and were ready to take advice from an internet forum gives me little cause to believe you are ready for the responsibility this animal entails.

Log off the computer. Immediately get him into an adequately sized cage with a proper basking spot and a proper temperature and humidity gradient. Get him professionally treated for his internal parasites. Once you get those things nailed down, then you can jog back here and get testy all you want.
    Look, like I've said, I have owned a good number of big monitor species in the past. I know what the dangers are with these lizards, I have a great respect for them. I know the size enclosure he is in now is not the adequate size, but you should have seen what he was in before I got him. Unfortunately I don't have all of the old enclosures I had for my big lizards back then, but I will have one done for him asap. I already said im not 100% on this certain species care but everyone starts off somewhere when they want to acquire knowledge on a certain animal.
    1.0 cinny, 1.0 pastel, 1.2 spider, 0.3 normals, 1.0 mojo, 1.0 albino, 1.0 fire, 1.1 yellowbelly, 1.0 het. pied, 1.0 lesser

Thanks

As for the croc bites. As simple as this, if what you like is owning dangerous animals, by all means go for it. But make sure you respect them and know how to properly handle them so you won't get hurt. And well, if you get hurt, just suck it up. No one made you own these animals. Thats what I go by. You guys keep stressing on it being dangerous, I know it's dangerous. Everyone should know it's dangerous, it's and animal with big claws, powerful jaws with very big sharp teeth that gets 12ft. +

So enough of the danger part, people don't exactly mention it to someone with monitors, cuz that person should already know what the dangers are.
    1.0 cinny, 1.0 pastel, 1.2 spider, 0.3 normals, 1.0 mojo, 1.0 albino, 1.0 fire, 1.1 yellowbelly, 1.0 het. pied, 1.0 lesser

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPython17 View Post
    As for the croc bites. As simple as this, if what you like is owning dangerous animals, by all means go for it. But make sure you respect them and know how to properly handle them so you won't get hurt. And well, if you get hurt, just suck it up. No one made you own these animals. Thats what I go by. You guys keep stressing on it being dangerous, I know it's dangerous. Everyone should know it's dangerous, it's and animal with big claws, powerful jaws with very big sharp teeth that gets 12ft. +

So enough of the danger part, people don't exactly mention it to someone with monitors, cuz that person should already know what the dangers are.
    Kinda like that person should know that the animal can't digest food if it's stressed by being jammed in a glass tank and kept at sub-optimal temperatures?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks

Kinda like that person should know that the animal can't digest food if it's stressed by being jammed in a glass tank and kept at sub-optimal temperatures?
    No, I have never had a situation like this. None of the lizards I've owned have ever had this problem. And like I said I'm learning about these crocs, this is also my first freshly WC monitor. Some of my old lizards that I have put in small cages (due to there enclosures having to be repaired) have never regurgitated there meals while they where in the small cages.

Thanks

please tell me what kind of animals you have, cuz of now your a lot of talk and no show.
    Quote Originally Posted by allergenic View Post
    For example, I've kept Argus monitors,
    I've already said. I got my first Sav when I was 18 in 1994, and have had monitors in between then and now. I'm not going off topic turning this into an "I've had more experience than you" urinating contest. It honestly doesn't take someone with 16 years of monitor experience to look at the Proexotics link Skiploder posted and realize it's a dangerous animal.

Oh and as for the thing of me not being on a forum a lot, you should look at yourself.
    I've lurked here on and off for several years and have not been interested in posting. I've preferred in the past to stay away from the noob forums, they're disheartening at best because of threads like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by redstormlax12 View Post
    The veterinary advice i gave is true. If you think this advice isn't correct then your knowledge of the internal workings and the effect of the medications is severely lacking.
    If the wooden enclosure was made properly and sealed well, then putting your croc in it will be no problem.
    Getting him into the proper sized enclosure is the first thing you must do. This will allow him to thermoregulate properly and help to ease his stress. Next thing is call the vet in the morning, schedule the soonest possible appointment you can.
    Glad to see that you are so astute you're able to diagnose this guy's croc monitor and suggest pumping it full of medications without having ever kept a monitor yourself. Perhaps you should think about isolating medical advice to those animals one has actually kept. And enclosure advice! Win/win.

And where as someone appreciated this so called "advice" your giving?
    Other threads.

So far, the guy who you are intent on having a running battle with is giving you the best advice on this thread. Maybe if I say it more politely, you will stop wasting your time flexing your e-mouth and get your animal digesting food again.
    Thanks, better said than I was able to.

As for the croc bites. As simple as this, if what you like is owning dangerous animals, by all means go for it. But make sure you respect them and know how to properly handle them so you won't get hurt. And well, if you get hurt, just suck it up. No one made you own these animals. Thats what I go by.
    What you're failing to realize is what I said in my first comment in this thread, and what Skiploder said as well. This ain't just about you, pal. When you get hurt, it will reflect badly on keepers as a whole. They are trying to pass laws to outlaw certain types of reptiles, including some monitors which are deemed too large/aggressive for the private sector. I for one like keeping monitors and do so responsibly, and don't want the negative actions of one person to impact responsible keepers as a whole. It's why this has gotten so heated, you are personally participating in jeopardizing my and others' ability to keep monitors.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allergenic For This Useful Post:

gothkenny (04-07-2010),mumps (04-07-2010),slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks

What you're failing to realize is what I said in my first comment in this thread, and what Skiploder said as well. This ain't just about you, pal. When you get hurt, it will reflect badly on keepers as a whole. They are trying to pass laws to outlaw certain types of reptiles, including some monitors which are deemed too large/aggressive for the private sector. I for one like keeping monitors and do so responsibly, and don't want the negative actions of one person to impact responsible keepers as a whole. It's why this has gotten so heated, you are personally participating in jeopardizing my and others' ability to keep monitors.
    [/QUOTE]

Most of the banning off certain reptiles is due to releases into the wild. Not because of people getting hurt. Now, one thing is for the owner of the animal to get injured by the animal and another thing is if someone gets hurt by someone elses animal. I'm not doing anything to harm our herp keeping world, im just learning about a new species I have decided to get into, only problem is I currently don't have him in the right environment. Now, people already know these are dangerous animals, some people that stress out too much about the danger is whats killing this hobby. If you would say that yes this animal is dangerous but there is a way to keep them while not getting injured would sound better than you saying oh this is a very dangerous animal you don't know what your doing, blah, blah, blah.

Now tell me how I am jeopardizeing our monitor keeping situation?

Thanks

I never suggested "pumping" the monitor with meds. I actually discouraged it. Again too much of a dewormer will kill the flora in the digestive tract. As far as the enclosure advice, its fine advice. The 13 foot by 4 foot enclosure would be better than the 55 gallon enclosure would it not? I never diagnosed his croc monitor. He suggested the deworming and i cautioned him.

And by all means, dont come back to this forum if its such a "noob forum". Your first comments have started to cause this thread to get out of hand. People respond better to polite advice, instead of saying their animal will die.

You may have extensive experience in monitors, and that is truly great. But if your knowledge is so vast, then by all means, share it with the people in search of it, instead of putting down the poster. Yes the conditions are much below and inadequate of what the monitor needs. But dont come on here, thinking you are gods gift to earth and start polluting this forum with rude remarks.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks

Oh, and I forgot to mention this. All hobbies has there good and bad things. If your gonna be a animal owner then get ready to get injured (and if you never do, then good for you) But everyone ends up getting injured somehow. As long as your not hurting other people in what you do. I mean anyone will get hurt and possibly killed in nascar driving, boxing, mma, skydiving, even fishing. And you don't see the government banning those hobbies. I mean look at zoo keepers, even they get hurt. Experienced reptile keepers get bit. So basically don't come here saying Im gonna hurt the herp hobby because i get injured by my own animal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

So basically don't come here saying Im gonna hurt the herp hobby because i get injured by my own animal.
    I really don't want to get into this thread since it's so much BS already, but I just have to say this quick:

Unfortunatly, scales, claws, fangs, razor sharp teeth, and creepy crawlies are great fodder for the news. Nothing sells like headlines of a "creepy" pet taking a few fingers off its owner.

If you do get injured, don't let it become news fodder, because if it does, it WILL hurt the hobby.

Those little clips of people getting tagged by fairly harmless snakes that make it on "when animals attack" are already bad enough for the hobby. It's sad but true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I really don't want to get into this thread since it's so much BS already, but I just have to say this quick:

Unfortunatly, scales, claws, fangs, razor sharp teeth, and creepy crawlies are great fodder for the news. Nothing sells like headlines of a "creepy" pet taking a few fingers off its owner.

If you do get injured, don't let it become news fodder, because if it does, it WILL hurt the hobby.

Those little clips of people getting tagged by fairly harmless snakes that make it on "when animals attack" are already bad enough for the hobby. It's sad but true.
    Obviously, but have you seen me say, mention, or even seen me do videos or something on me getting attacked or injured by one of my animals?

Basically, If I where to get injured or attacked by one of my animals I wouldn't post a video of it. But then again, everytime someone does get bit or attacked a has a video of it on youtube everyone comments on it saying its cool. Cuz yes I've seen it in the past, you should complain to the people who are actually hurting this hobby.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast