Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

1 members and 3,276 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Croc monitor

Thanks

Re: Croc monitor

Quote Originally Posted by BallPython17 View Post
    Lol. i know, but what bothers me is why don't the mods take care of the bashers like allergenic. He came in here trying to be all smart, and that starts the problems. instead of saying something helpful, he comes in saying that I aint gonna see my croc get up to 8 feet.
    yeah but he is entitled to his opinion and the thing is, its like the other poster stated he is assuming. If you really know how to care for the croc monitor who gives a rats a** what some guy on the internet thinks. Its doesnt take anything to be an E-thug lol. just listen to the good advice and tune out the garbage.
    good luck bro.
    Last edited by djansen; 04-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    yeah but he is entitled to his opinion and the thing is, its like the other poster stated he is assuming. If you really know how to care for the croc monitor who gives a rats a** what some guy on the internet thinks. just listen to the good advice and tune out the garbage.
    good luck bro.
    exactly, he is entitled to give his opinion, so my other post about him is my opinion about him. Like BG says, you poke me, ill poke harder. lol. but ill admit im not 100% on the care of crocs, most of my knowledge is from the monitors i've kept. Thats why im here asking for some knowledge on him.
    1.0 cinny, 1.0 pastel, 1.2 spider, 0.3 normals, 1.0 mojo, 1.0 albino, 1.0 fire, 1.1 yellowbelly, 1.0 het. pied, 1.0 lesser

Thanks

exactly, he is entitled to give his opinion, so my other post about him is my opinion about him. Like BG says, you poke me, ill poke harder. lol. but ill admit im not 100% on the care of crocs, most of my knowledge is from the monitors i've kept. Thats why im here asking for some knowledge on him.
    K but leave the profanity and his mother out of it lol.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    K but leave the profanity and his mother out of it lol.
    lol. yea the mother thing was a bit bad. mybad on that one. but anyways back to topic on my little guy (not literately little, lol). But BG would you happen to have any pics of your enclosures for your big arboreal lizards? Or anyone that has big arboreal lizards?
    1.0 cinny, 1.0 pastel, 1.2 spider, 0.3 normals, 1.0 mojo, 1.0 albino, 1.0 fire, 1.1 yellowbelly, 1.0 het. pied, 1.0 lesser

Thanks

A quick review.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Definitely go for the two dewormers BG listed, those work pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by redstormlax12 View Post
    I second the getting the croc in a larger cage. ...If he has a growth spurt he could put on maybe six inches in length and if he is already skinny, he could double his weight...As for him reguritating, it may be a plethora of things. Temps, enclosure size, stress, parasites, etc. If he is not eating well, the panacur could have a very ill effect on him....
    Ive had a problem with him before.
    Most of the people who find me offensive are the people who don't keep monitors and find it necessary to troll monitor forums dispensing veterinary advice to people needing real advice from actual keepers. The people who, like me, are also long time monitor keepers seem to actually appreciate me taking the time to give constructive advice when I find it the time to do so.

The problem with me is that when an animal is at stake I generally don't stop long enough to worry about someone's poor feelings getting hurt.

he ate a rat pup when i got him, but he ended up regurgitating it.
    Then monday I saw he had threw it up...
    And now I went to check on him again and he had thrown up one of the rat pups I fed him.
    My question is what would cause him to keep throwing them up?
    105.8 f on hot spot and 88 f on cool side.
    Dam, thats hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    If he is 4' a 55 gallon even for QT is CRAZY small. most baby crocs I have seen are kept in min of 4x4x6 and thats BABY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    you NEED to get him into a bigger enclosure.
    55 gallons is NOT very large. He probalby cant even turn around if he is in fact 4'...just sayin.
    I thought they where more of a ground lizard not arboreal, so the cage I have doesn't suit him as much as I thought cuz they are arboreal (according to what I have read).
    So no ones bashes me saying im new to monitors or something,
    Let's cut back to the chase and stay on topic. Again, my point, which have yourself illustrated without me having to, is that you've failed on really basic monitor husbandry. Basking spot, aquarium cage, enclosure size, regurgitated food. You also don't even know the basics about this specific animal. This stuff is seriously Monitor Keeping 101 type of stuff. What makes you really think you're going to be able to care for an animal this advanced?

Seriously, just stop for a second and ignore what you think of me and my supposed "rudeness". Do you really not see that you're about to be very badly in over your head?

And redstorm thanks for your input, very good care sheet.
    So now you are relying on a guy who doesn't keep monitors giving you an Internet care sheet (which are notoriously bad) to help you take care of the most dangerous and demanding captive lizard you can own.

instead of saying something helpful, he comes in saying that I aint gonna see my croc get up to 8 feet.
    You haven't been on forums long enough to see that threads like this are actually really typical, and generally all end the same way.

Exactly, I mean one thing is to say i don't know anything about monitors. And another thing is to tell me my croc is gonna die.
    Last time I had a burm outside in a cage like that and he had ticks and mites. And it got out of hand and he died.
    Just sayin.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allergenic For This Useful Post:

FlowRock (04-27-2010),gothkenny (04-07-2010),lmtrej (09-05-2012),mumps (04-07-2010),slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks

here we go again allergenic. I really don't care about your advice. atleast the people here are helping me out. the burm is a different story, he was given to me that way full of mites. Don't come in here being all smart cuz you think you know everything. please tell me what kind of animals you have, cuz of now your a lot of talk and no show. Oh and as for the thing of me not being on a forum a lot, you should look at yourself. Your pretty new here, on this forum a good number of us actually help out. You should go back to those forums where you belong.
    Last edited by BallPython17; 04-06-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks

Most of the people who find me offensive are the people who don't keep monitors and find it necessary to troll monitor forums dispensing veterinary advice to people needing real advice from actual keepers
    The veterinary advice i gave is true. Panacur and other meds do kill flora in the stomach of our herps. Too much of the panacur will kill the beneficial flora in the stomach and digestive tract causing the breakdown and digestion of the food almost impossible. If you think this advice isn't correct then your knowledge of the internal workings and the effect of the medications is severely lacking. Im not trolling. I saw a person in need and gave them some solid advice on the general application of meds for endoparasites.
    The people who, like me, are also long time monitor keepers seem to actually appreciate me taking the time to give constructive advice when I find it the time to do so.
    Advice? What advice? Your first comment was rude, and your second again rude. And these were comments, not really educational advice. And where as someone appreciated this so called "advice" your giving? Ballpython17 seems to have been keeping monitors also.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to redstormlax12 For This Useful Post:

I<3Dreamsicles (04-07-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

here we go again allergenic. I really don't care about your advice. atleast the people here are helping me out. the burm is a different story, he was given to me that way full of mites. Don't come in here being all smart cuz you think you know everything. please tell me what kind of animals you have, cuz of now your a lot of talk and no show. Oh and as for the thing of me not being on a forum a lot, you should look at yourself. Your pretty new here, on this forum a good number of us actually help out. You should go back to those forums where you belong.
    You may not like how he's saying it, but I can't see how you can't read between the lines.

So far, the guy who you are intent on having a running battle with is giving you the best advice on this thread. Maybe if I say it more politely, you will stop wasting your time flexing your e-mouth and get your animal digesting food again.

(1) You picked a very demanding and potentially dangerous animal to keep. I would ignore any care-sheet that down play the damage this animal could do to you. Monitors are not dogs and the potential for this monitor to seriously hurt you is very real - more real than it ever becoming "dog tame".

(2) I don't care what the situation is, as Pat and others have stated, that 55 gallon glass aquarium is inadequate - even for a day. Asking for plans to build a larger enclosure at this point is a waste of time. My advice is to get him into something of adequate size. Hint - a glass aquarium of any size is nothing but a varanus jerky making machine - so don't even bother going there. That animal is going to need a 16' long x 6' deep x 8' high enclosure when it's an adult. If I may be so bold to assume you are having hard time getting an adequate sized enclosure for him as a juvenile, you are going to find it impossible to provide an adequate adult sized enclosure.

(3) As has been stated, your temps are too low. I'd give him the option of a 135 degree hot spot. The cage you give him now will need to be big enough to allow a cool end that is in the 80s. The 55 gallon aquarium won't cut it.

(4) Do not self diagnose and self treat this animal for internal parasites. In your case, I would strongly recommend you him to a Vet and have him properly treated.

The fact that your croc is regurging, in cramped quarters and being kept at suboptimal temperatures is bad. You may not like hearing this, but no matter what you say your experience is with these animals, the fact that you were not prepared to provide it with proper care and were ready to take advice from an internet forum gives me little cause to believe you are ready for the responsibility this animal entails.

Log off the computer. Immediately get him into an adequately sized cage with a proper basking spot and a proper temperature and humidity gradient. Get him professionally treated for his internal parasites. Once you get those things nailed down, then you can jog back here and get testy all you want.

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

camel (08-30-2012),FlowRock (04-27-2010),flynn (04-07-2010),Hulihzack (04-07-2010),lmtrej (09-05-2012),Minja777 (04-09-2010),MrLang (09-04-2012),mumps (04-07-2010),slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Have you ever kept a croc monitor? Do you have really any idea what they are like besides the accidents that have happened dealing with croc monitors? Many of our herps are CAN be dangerous, but that doesnt mean they will be. Yes, the size of croc monitors does command respect, on the other hand a 9 foot croc will typically be six feet of tail. Yes his husbandry is a little off, but im sure he will give the animal the respect is deserves. He is already able to give it a large enclosure after quarantine and is coming to people on this forum for help, not ridicule. So please, if you have no information that is at all helpful, please take your rude remarks elsewhere. He has come here for advice, which was a great step towards the correct husbandry for this animal.

Some croc monitors have even been reported to be "dog tame". Reports of even responding to voice commands and being able to fetch.

"Crocodile monitors can become tame, sweet captives if treated with the utmost respect and understanding that they are also potent predators that evolved to survive harsh conditions met in Indonesian jungles. Our largest is an 8' male that is extremely tolerant of human interaction" New England Reptile Distributors

Ballpython17, as for husbandry, here is a good caresheet: http://www.reptilechannel.com/care-s...e-monitor.aspx

Basking temps should be between 110-120, so bump up your basking temp about ten degrees and that should be taken care of. The only thing is, he may not be able to properly thermoregulate in such a small enclosure, he isnt able to really fully move himself to a lower temperature.

As for more information, you could try to contact some knowledgeable breeders like proexotics or nerd.
    Rather than give you my take on croc monitors as pets, let me direct you to a site that isn't trying to sell one to anybody - and explaining why in the process.

http://proexotics.com/FAQ2.html#monitor_croc

Scoot on down to the pictures with all the blood in them.

I say this with a complete absence of snark - nobody is doing this hobby any good by going around and telling people croc monitors make "sweet" and "tame" pets. I know it isn't your quote, but................
    Last edited by Skiploder; 04-06-2010 at 11:22 PM.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

FlowRock (04-27-2010),flynn (04-07-2010),Hulihzack (04-07-2010),Minja777 (04-09-2010),mumps (04-07-2010),Nadamamasboy (04-07-2010),slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks

You may not like how he's saying it, but I can't see how you can't read between the lines.

So far, the guy who you are intent on having a running battle with is giving you the best advice on this thread. Maybe if I say it more politely, you will stop wasting your time flexing your e-mouth and get your animal digesting food again.

(1) You picked a very demanding and potentially dangerous animal to keep. I would ignore any care-sheet that down play the damage this animal could do to you. Monitors are not dogs and the potential for this monitor to seriously hurt you is very real - more real than it ever becoming "dog tame".

(2) I don't care what the situation is, as Pat and others have stated, that 55 gallon glass aquarium is inadequate - even for a day. Asking for plans to build a larger enclosure at this point is a waste of time. My advice is to get him into something of adequate size. Hint - a glass aquarium of any size is nothing but a varanus jerky making machine - so don't even bother going there. That animal is going to need a 16' long x 6' deep x 8' high enclosure when it's an adult. If I may be so bold to assume you are having hard time getting an adequate sized enclosure for him as a juvenile, you are going to find it impossible to provide an adequate adult sized enclosure.

(3) As has been stated, your temps are too low. I'd give him the option of a 135 degree hot spot. The cage you give him now will need to be big enough to allow a cool end that is in the 80s. The 55 gallon aquarium won't cut it.

(4) Do not self diagnose and self treat this animal for internal parasites. In your case, I would strongly recommend you him to a Vet and have him properly treated.

The fact that your croc is regurging, in cramped quarters and being kept at suboptimal temperatures is bad. You may not like hearing this, but no matter what you say your experience is with these animals, the fact that you were not prepared to provide it with proper care and were ready to take advice from an internet forum gives me little cause to believe you are ready for the responsibility this animal entails.

Log off the computer. Immediately get him into an adequately sized cage with a proper basking spot and a proper temperature and humidity gradient. Get him professionally treated for his internal parasites. Once you get those things nailed down, then you can jog back here and get testy all you want.
    I have to agree with everything that was said here. I did tend to downplay the seriousness of your situation. Yes your croc will be dangerous, and no im not saying he is going to be dog tame by any means. And i must again emphasize the changing of the enclosure. Its like you having a walk-in closet as a living space. If one side is 115 degrees, moving over a little isn't going to allow you to cool off. And i must agree with the vet advice also. I was giving answers to what you could treat him with, but going to the vet and getting tests done to find out exactly what he needs to be treated for is the correct thing. Yes, he will probably need to be put on a dewormer like panacur, but the vet may give you something else. Panacur is a very general med used in treating endoparasites. If the wooden enclosure you have is ready to be used, then by all means use it. You may be concerned about the mites and tics breeding in it, but the fact is, they will mainly do the reproduction on your croc. If the wooden enclosure was made properly and sealed well, then putting your croc in it will be no problem. Keep it to the bare minimums in the cage since it will be a quarantine. Treat the mites and tics with what the vet tells you and then daily clean the enclosure to kill the mites and tics. Ive heard nothing but great reviews for provent-a-mite from pro-products, so i suggest you look into that right away and order it as soon as possible if that will work.

Getting him into the proper sized enclosure is the first thing you must do. This will allow him to thermoregulate properly and help to ease his stress. Next thing is call the vet in the morning, schedule the soonest possible appointment you can.

I hope everything goes well, and i wish you the best of luck. Just make sure you give him the best chance of survival, and hopefully he will bounce back.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast