Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,498

3 members and 3,495 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Croc monitor

Thanks

Re: Croc monitor

I second the getting the croc in a larger cage. A 55 gallong is tiny, especially if its a standard fish 55 gallon. They are only 12 inches wide and 4 feet long if im not mistaken. Many people wouldnt even keep a beardie in that enclosure. I know you are trying to quarantine, but the idea of quarantine is a simple enclosure. The enclosure must still meet the herps requirements, it just doesnt give them the extra bonus stuff that a normal cage should give them. Quarantine is usually around 1-2 months. Think of how much he will grow in that time. If he has a growth spurt he could put on maybe six inches in length and if he is already skinny, he could double his weight. That 55 gallon should only be a very temporary thing. Id start looking for something much larger. Maybe something along the lines of 180 gallon at least for the quarantine process. As for him reguritating, it may be a plethora of things. Temps, enclosure size, stress, parasites, etc. If he is not eating well, the panacur could have a very ill effect on him. Meds like panacur can actually lessen the appetite of your herp. It also kills alot of the stomach flora which is essential in digestion, so be sure not to over do it. Treating at the right time is essential. Too early and you could cause more stress, lessen the immune system response, curb his appetite, kill too much flora and essentially make it worse. But wait too long and the parasites might just take over. Just be careful with all the meds. Being hit with all sorts of meds to take care of the endoparasites and ectoparasites may cause him to completely stop eating. I would consult of good herp vet before doing too much. Its not easy for a wc animal to come into captivity sometimes. And the tiny enclosure isnt helping.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to redstormlax12 For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (04-09-2010)

Thanks

Threads and decisions like this are the reason officials are trying to pass laws banning certain animals.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allergenic For This Useful Post:

mumps (04-07-2010),slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks

I haven't hit him with the meds yet. I'm waiting for him to fatten up. But as off him throwing up the meal is not because of the cage size. I mean he wouldn't eat if it had to do with the cage size (don't get me wrong, I am gonna put him in a bigger cage). Only reason he's in the 55 tank now is quarantine and I only do a 30 day quarantine. Anyways I need some pics of adult croc cages, cuz the cage I was supposed to put him in measures
    13 feet long X 4 feet wide X 3 feet tall, and what killed me is that I thought they where more of a ground lizard not arboreal, so the cage I have doesn't suit him as much as I thought cuz they are arboreal (according to what I have read).
    1.0 cinny, 1.0 pastel, 1.2 spider, 0.3 normals, 1.0 mojo, 1.0 albino, 1.0 fire, 1.1 yellowbelly, 1.0 het. pied, 1.0 lesser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allergenic View Post
    Threads and decisions like this are the reason officials are trying to pass laws banning certain animals.
    What are you talking about? Have I said im going to release him in the everglades? NO.
    1.0 cinny, 1.0 pastel, 1.2 spider, 0.3 normals, 1.0 mojo, 1.0 albino, 1.0 fire, 1.1 yellowbelly, 1.0 het. pied, 1.0 lesser

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BallPython17 For This Useful Post:

I<3Dreamsicles (04-07-2010),PorcelainxDoll (08-30-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPython17 View Post
    What are you talking about? Have I said im going to release him in the everglades? NO.
    What I'm talking about is you've picked the most dangerous captive lizard on the planet to keep, and you know so little about it you can't even get its basking temps up enough to have it not throw up its food.

You're going to get hurt.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to allergenic For This Useful Post:

slayer (04-21-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    I would bump that Hot side up a little. Seems a little cool.

Try and shoot for ~115f

What kind of enclosure is he in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Long View Post
    Proper medication will get rid of the mites and ticks. But you NEED to get him into a bigger enclosure.

55 gallons is NOT very large. He probalby cant even turn around if he is in fact 4'...just sayin.
    Now yah see. It's kinda funny that you're trying to hep today. Seems kinda coincidental to BG. BG is thankful he could make you see the light.

Thanks

What I'm talking about is you've picked the most dangerous captive lizard on the planet to keep, and you know so little about it you can't even get its basking temps up enough to have it not throw up its food.

You're going to get hurt
    Have you ever kept a croc monitor? Do you have really any idea what they are like besides the accidents that have happened dealing with croc monitors? Many of our herps are CAN be dangerous, but that doesnt mean they will be. Yes, the size of croc monitors does command respect, on the other hand a 9 foot croc will typically be six feet of tail. Yes his husbandry is a little off, but im sure he will give the animal the respect is deserves. He is already able to give it a large enclosure after quarantine and is coming to people on this forum for help, not ridicule. So please, if you have no information that is at all helpful, please take your rude remarks elsewhere. He has come here for advice, which was a great step towards the correct husbandry for this animal.

Some croc monitors have even been reported to be "dog tame". Reports of even responding to voice commands and being able to fetch.

"Crocodile monitors can become tame, sweet captives if treated with the utmost respect and understanding that they are also potent predators that evolved to survive harsh conditions met in Indonesian jungles. Our largest is an 8' male that is extremely tolerant of human interaction" New England Reptile Distributors

Ballpython17, as for husbandry, here is a good caresheet: http://www.reptilechannel.com/care-s...e-monitor.aspx

Basking temps should be between 110-120, so bump up your basking temp about ten degrees and that should be taken care of. The only thing is, he may not be able to properly thermoregulate in such a small enclosure, he isnt able to really fully move himself to a lower temperature.

As for more information, you could try to contact some knowledgeable breeders like proexotics or nerd.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redstormlax12 For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (04-09-2010),I<3Dreamsicles (04-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstormlax12 View Post
    Have you ever kept a croc monitor? Many of our herps are CAN be dangerous, but that doesnt mean they will be. Yes, the size of croc monitors does command respect, on the other hand a 9 foot croc will typically be six feet of tail.
    It's funny to me that this is always the defense. You know what else I haven't kept? Grizzly bears, bobcats, wolverines, badgers, kodiak bears, polar bears, mako sharks, king cobras. I honestly haven't even kept wild boars or jaguars. That must make me completely unqualified to know how dangerous any of those would be to a human household.

You're absolutely right. King Cobras can be dangerous, but that doesn't mean they will be. The venom and fangs can command respect, but really on the other hand the majority of the animal is "tail". What could possibly go wrong? But then again, I've never kept one, so what do I know?

Yes his husbandry is a little off, but im sure he will give the animal the respect is deserves. He is already able to give it a large enclosure after quarantine and is coming to people on this forum for help, not ridicule.
    "A little off". It's throwing up its food. The OP will be lucky to keep it alive to see eight feet.

At this point I don't even know why I'm replying, because this is indicative of the fact that you've never kept monitors at all. For example, I've kept Argus monitors, and based on things like feeding response, caging requirements, quantity of food, and general difficulty of keeping, I would never recommend an Argus to someone who hasn't at least kept a smaller monitor.

You're talking about something twice the size with the ability to inflict eight times the damage, with at least 2-3x the caging requirements if kept properly.

As was said, his quarantine enclosure is absolutely tiny for any four foot monitor, much less one that has a much longer flight distance than other monitors.

So please, if you have no information that is at all helpful, please take your rude remarks elsewhere. He has come here for advice, which was a great step towards the correct husbandry for this animal.
    What I said was extremely helpful. Give up the animal to someone who is knowledgeable enough to take care of it.

Too often people post threads on message boards about keeping the most ridiculous animals, with the most ridiculous level of inexperience, and expect high fives because of how "awesome" the animal is. For the most part they get the high fives, because people are of similar inexperience as you've outlined in the rest of your reply which I won't bother to quote.
    Last edited by allergenic; 04-06-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Left out a closing bracket.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allergenic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

1.0 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Super Dwarf Retic
    1.2 Blizzard Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Jungle Carpet
    1.0 BCI
    1.0 Argentine Boa
    0.2 Rats
    Wait, seriously? Having a BCI and a dwarf retic qualifies you to give advice somehow on monitors? Is there something I'm missing? I'm assuming you are male, perhaps you could tell my wife what pregnancy is like?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allergenic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    Now yah see. It's kinda funny that you're trying to hep today. Seems kinda coincidental to BG. BG is thankful he could make you see the light.
    Oh sorry, I had to actually unblock the post to see this crap.

But contrary to your childish games, and all he picture threads that you pulled up. I do give useful knowledge.

But like the 35 posts that you made while you played pot stirrer this morning...obviously contained ZERO questions to answer. LOL

But that is besides the point is it not?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast