Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,414

5 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: awesome pic

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: awesome pic

Quote Originally Posted by king216 View Post
    wow i thought they would be mean, i have no reason to think that, i just never really did any research on anacondas
    its not the norm that the anacondas are friendly same goes for blood pythons and reticulated pythons... while more and more are becoming more docile, they are still fairly unpredictable and often there are specimens that "don't play well with humans."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CA cowgirl View Post
    Generally speaking, no. They are the heaviest body snake in the world and second in recorded length ~ 33'. This makes for a very strong snake that at the size I'm holding one, if it wanted its way, it would win - even with two handlers - unless of course the handlers were folks like those seen on tv.

Most of the green anacondas that I've "met" - their owners don't trust their snakes. Generally speaking this snake species isn't predictable or docile, tough there are some exceptions (such as the one I was holding in the pix above, and Jewskin's young snake). I'd say do a ton of homework on them before getting one. And do try to see a large live one in person to understand the strength of the animal and see what you would be getting into. Oh, and they are aquatic, love their water, so if you wanted to keep one as a pet, keep in mind that you should provide a water basin that is large enough for them to fully submerge themselves. I hope this helps and I didn't provide TMI, I'm just trying to dissuade you without being domineering.
    oh no, trust me, i do not plan on owning an anaconda lol, i was just asking a question, ball pythons & rainbow boas are enough for me
    1 RED TAIL BOA
    1 BALL PYTHON
    1 BRAZILIAN RAINBOW BOA
    1 CORN SNAKE

Thanks

this reptile zoo near where i live has green anacondas and.....they are HUGE! haha
    my channel plz check it out!

www.youtube.com/reptopia

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JEWSKIN View Post
    had to share awesome pic
    love the picture as well as the snake. One of my favorite snakes but i doubt i will own one. If i have the space when i move to the new place then mayb but for now its a no go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CA cowgirl View Post
    its not the norm that the anacondas are friendly same goes for blood pythons and reticulated pythons... while more and more are becoming more docile, they are still fairly unpredictable and often there are specimens that "don't play well with humans."
    I can tell from your list of critters in your sig that you don't really have any experience with these snakes you are offering your opinion on.

I agree people that are new to snakes should not venture into the giants immediately. But you are telling people "false truths". I have owned every one of the "giants", except for scrubs, and I can count a total of 0 bites received once trust has been established. No "hook training", or welder's gloves or anything else. Just good old realizations that these gorgeous creatures are not "instinct driven" as much as everyone thinks, and they are no different from corn snakes or ball pythons, with the exception of retics, who are damn smart for a snake. Of course realizing what can pose a dangerous situation and avoiding them are key.

I believe that people who are bitten regularly by their giants are people who own animals that are smarter than they are.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    I can tell from your list of critters in your sig that you don't really have any experience with these snakes you are offering your opinion on.

Chris
    Judging by what you say, you seem not to be as smart as your snakes. What I currently keep isn't the same as what I have kept, the snakes I have worked with and the snakes I have observed.

I gave a personal opinion based on real experience. You made a foolish and unfounded judgment. Try to learn the facts before making such a declaration on another person whom you do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    I can tell from your list of critters in your sig
    It was such a rediculous observation I had to quote it twice.

Thanks

Well, sooorrrrrrrryyyyyyy!

You didn't list any personal experience, you just talked about these snakes in general. If you have lots of experience with them, it's obvious you don't have a lot of pleasant experience with them, nor are you able to obtain a trusting relationship with them.

Too bad.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I haven't had only negative experiences with large snakes. I've been bitten very few times, in fact, none by large snakes. My intention was to realign king216's newly formed impressions of these giants and let him know that these snakes aren't known for being puppy dogs.

While my experiences with large snakes have been mostly good, I will never trust a large snake, they don't utilize reasoning that humans or other mammals do. Its only too bad in the sense that I won't care for them while living alone, and there are far too many of them being bred and far too many of them not being cared for properly because of their size and temperment.

Thanks

wow is it just me or are there just a few people who will take things out of context to put someone down and make themselves feel better...its almost like a soap opera.......never assume anything yoou'll only end up looking like an ass

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEWSKIN For This Useful Post:

Christine (04-14-2010),Moofins07 (04-16-2010)

Thanks

First, VERY beautiful picture. I'm so glad to see someone taking an interest in fostering these gorgeous animals and helping out those who have lost the capacity to care for larger snakes. You're doing both parties a world of good, and you get some experience and awesome shots in the process!

Second, let's just drop the subject and agree to disagree. ALL giant snakes should be considered unpredictable, simply because they ARE. They don't bare their teeth when angry, or widen their eyes when frightened or threatened. If you admit to having trust with your snake, then that is a case of YOU trusting the snake - the SNAKE does not trust you. It only tolerates you.
    Last edited by Moofins07; 04-16-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Moofins07 For This Useful Post:

h00blah (08-05-2010)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast