Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

2 members and 3,171 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Constipated Ball Python?

Hey all, about 1.5 months ago I fed my ball phython, a few days later she went into shed (before defecating). After the shed process completed, I waited a few days, but she did not defecate. I fed fed her again, and still nothing. Long story short, I've fed her 3 times in the last 1.5 months or so, and still no feces. I checked her out, and it was a clean shed. My temperature and humidity levels are good. She has no problem accepting food, but I should mention that other than moving from the warm hide to the cool hide, she does not venture out. She is normally a very active snake, but since the shed I don't she her come out at all anymore. Could it be a simple case of constipation, or something more serious? Any comments?

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Constipated Ball Python?

i don't think i would be too concerned. i've had some snakes go a long, long time without pooping. one day, you'll open the viv to some GREAT BIG POOP LOGS! lol

if you're really concerned, try making the snake swim around in the bathtub, that usually loosens them up, and almost EVERY time i put a snake in the tub, they go within 5 minutes or so.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

dgring (01-04-2014),stillpip (04-02-2010)

Thanks

Some times they go pretty long periods with out pooping. If everything else is ok and its eating and drinking dont worry your gonna get a huge one evntually probably.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jason79 For This Useful Post:

stillpip (04-02-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Snakes are not like lizards so much in the constipation dept. My sweet Ash, first BP, once went about ten weeks and yes, I did break down and give him an enema... not fun for me, not fun for him.

And in hindsight, was likely unneccessary. Just wait him out.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Whitehead For This Useful Post:

stillpip (04-03-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Although 1.5 months sounds like a long time to go without pooping, you said you've only fed her 3 times during that period. Going 3 meals without pooping isn't unusual at all. If you feed her more often (most people prefer to fed once/week) she'll poop more often. But even BPs that are fed weekly can go 1.5 months without pooping and it isn't a worry.
    Casey

Thanks

I had my female bp in a big tank and she would only poop when she shed, but since switching her to a tub she poops exactly a week after a meal and with a shed.

Thanks

Have you palpated the snake to see if there is a blockage? If there is no blockage, I would say just let it continue, one day you'll be presented with a gift. soaking the snake, as mentioned above, can also loosen the stool.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stillpip View Post
    Hey all, about 1.5 months ago I fed my ball phython, a few days later she went into shed (before defecating). After the shed process completed, I waited a few days, but she did not defecate. I fed fed her again, and still nothing. Long story short, I've fed her 3 times in the last 1.5 months or so, and still no feces. I checked her out, and it was a clean shed. My temperature and humidity levels are good. She has no problem accepting food, but I should mention that other than moving from the warm hide to the cool hide, she does not venture out. She is normally a very active snake, but since the shed I don't she her come out at all anymore. Could it be a simple case of constipation, or something more serious? Any comments?

Thanks

I really do appreciate the replies. I'll wait her out. I will continue my feeding routine and see what happens. I just soaked her today, and she seems to be taking it well. Hopefully everything is well with myself and everybody else. I did not mention it, but I have only had my ball since May '09 (as a baby), so I am relatively new to the trade, but loving it so far, and glad to share with people that feel the same. Thanks!!!

Thanks
    Er guys, i was wonderin the same thing. I pressed the bulge near the "exit" n its kinda hard. Should i be worried? 3 weeks since last feed, monsoon season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast