Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,262

3 members and 3,259 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Talking Got a question about housing!

Hello all!
    So quick question! I was having some problems getting two of my bps to eat. We have been housing them all together in a tank we built ourselves and now know that that may be to blame for thier hunger strike. So I am working on dividing the cage equally today and have all the materials I need but here is the thing: I want to divide the cage into three so one for each snake. With the size of the tank as it is now it would end up that each would have an enclosure that would be about 25-30 gallons. My boyfriend who owns the two snakes currently off feed seems to think that housing the two males together would be acceptable. It was MY understanding that having another snake in the enclosure at all would cause them to be stressed out! Just want them to have the best setup possible so any advice would be most welcome!!
    Thanks alot!!

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Got a question about housing!

Quote Originally Posted by snakemomma View Post
    Hello all!
    So quick question! I was having some problems getting two of my bps to eat. We have been housing them all together in a tank we built ourselves and now know that that may be to blame for thier hunger strike. So I am working on dividing the cage equally today and have all the materials I need but here is the thing: I want to divide the cage into three so one for each snake. With the size of the tank as it is now it would end up that each would have an enclosure that would be about 25-30 gallons. My boyfriend who owns the two snakes currently off feed seems to think that housing the two males together would be acceptable. It was MY understanding that having another snake in the enclosure at all would cause them to be stressed out! Just want them to have the best setup possible so any advice would be most welcome!!
    Thanks alot!!
    Separate them in rubbermaid tubs. That would be much better than trying to divide the tank. They're more likely to go back on feed this way. Two males together at this time of year can be a problem. They may actually fight, but even if they don't, they're more likely to go off feed.

Thanks

Okay so tubs then. How big should the tubs be roughly? Like sweater box size? Our breeder has his snakes in a rack in tubs like this but he has them in a large rack of course since he has so many!
    We only have three though. Is it acceptable to keep them in the wooden cage for now (but divided) since Nick is rather fond of it.

Thanks

EEK!!! I just did a search on housing bps together and i found this!!!

www.rcreptiles.com/forum/about1343.html

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Not to sound harsh by no means so don't take it that way, BG gave great advice and to add , it's not about what we're really fond of it's what is best for the animal. It really pays to take the time to do research. Sweater box ( 32 qt'ish ) for adults roughly upto 2000 grams 41 qt for 2000 grams depending on the size/age of the animals.
    Last edited by iCandiBallPythons; 04-01-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Housing males together is probably the worst thing you can do as they will combat for the female. If you needed to keep two ball pythons together, I would only suggest putting two females together, even though that still wouldn't be as safe as keeping them separate.

It seems to me like your boyfriend doesn't know a whole lot about these snakes :/

You can divide the cage in three, that is fine. BG just suggested tubs because it is much easier to set up separate tubs than it is to divide a tank.
    Last edited by Kaorte; 04-01-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Post Re: Got a question about housing!

Yeah Kaorte I'm starting to figure that out hehe... I went to Scales and Tails today and bought a bp manual to help me rectify these issues. I love these snakes and I absolutely want to do the best thing for them!!

I am in no way saying that BG didn't give great advice(he deffinately did!!) however since I had already purchased the materials to divide the tank at the time what I was really needing to know was if I should stand my ground on seperating all three snakes since my boyfriend was telling me it wasn't needed. (I was pretty sure it was) SOmetimes ya gotta work with what you got. If you think that tubs are the best way to keep them then I'll work on a new setup but I need to know if what I've got at the moment will suffice until I can make more changes!

He had snakes before I did so I trusted him to know how to take care of them. It wasn't even until recently when they went off feed that I became alerted to the problem which I am trying to fix promptly and effectively! I read that a tank is an acceptable way to house them on the care sheet last night.

And you didn't sound harsh at all. Thanks for all your help! Thanks to ou guys I've learned alot the past two days!!
    Jenn

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

There is nothing wrong with keeping them in tanks. If you already have the materials to separate the tank then go for it! I think it will be a little more aesthetically pleasing in the long run
    ~Steffe

Thanks

You said that each snake would have 20-30 gallons each? What kind of ground dimensions are we talking about, and how big are the snakes?
    If the tank is not going to give them enough ground space, it will be a problem. Also, if it is enough space now, it might not be enough later.
    A picture always helps.

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snakemomma View Post

And you didn't sound harsh at all. Thanks for all your help! Thanks to ou guys I've learned alot the past two days!!
    Jenn
    TY because that was not my intention at all.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website