Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

0 members and 3,319 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Temps too low

Thanks

Temps too low

Having trouble getting the temps up in my 35 gallon. Its currently 75°.
    I've got a 75 watt bulb, a exo-terra desert UTH with coco-husk substrates (Just put in), and a Plexiglas lid. This was all setup like 3-4 hours ago.

Should I just wait it out? Substrate is still cold, so I'm guessing that I need to wait till more of the water evaporates. (75% humidity)

Thanks

Re: Temps too low

What is 75 degrees? The hot spot?
    Sounds like your uth needs to heat up. I hope you have some kind of dimmer on it because the problem will be too hot if it is working properly. An UTH is all you will need for the hot spot, and maybe the light will bring up ambient temps, but be careful because the light can dry out the enclosure really badly.
    What kind of substrate are you using by the way? Is it one of those 'add water' type? Coconut? Those can take a long time to dry out sometimes.
    When do you plan on getting a snake?

Thanks

The cold substrate will only bring you temperatures down a couple of degrees. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank, and I need a 150 watt bulb on it to keep me ambient air temperature at 82 degrees. I would think you would need about the same as I do, as well I use the red heat lights, but you could use a ceramic heat emitter or a black heat light as well. I only suggest those because ball pythons are nocturnal and white light can stress them out if left on all the time. Also, are you using a thermostat or dimmer for your under the tank heat mat?

If you have any other questions just ask.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr. s View Post
    What is 75 degrees? The hot spot?
    Sounds like your uth needs to heat up. I hope you have some kind of dimmer on it because the problem will be too hot if it is working properly. An UTH is all you will need for the hot spot, and maybe the light will bring up ambient temps, but be careful because the light can dry out the enclosure really badly.
    What kind of substrate are you using by the way? Is it one of those 'add water' type? Coconut? Those can take a long time to dry out sometimes.
    When do you plan on getting a snake?
    I guess that would have been a better question to ask, is it your air temperatures that are 75 degrees or your dirt? The dirt will take about 24 hours to be at a good temperature, so if it is the dirt, wait a day and then check it.

Sorry about that, I didn't read the post right.

Thanks

If your using some type of add-water substrate, you really should wait for it to dry out before adding your snake to the enclosure. The snake can get belly rot from too damp of a substrate. Also, if the substrate is cold along with the dampness, he can develope a RI.

As far as your temperature goes, maybe your thermometer isnt in the right place. Use a thermometer with a probe, and place the probe right above the glass where the UTH is. A lamp dimmer or thermostat will eb needed for the UTH.

Thanks

Yes it is an add water type of substrate.
    Yes my ball is inside the tank.
    No, I dont have a dimmer as of yet. When I spoke the the salesman at the pet store, he told me he has a ball with the same UTH and substrate and says he doesnt use a dimmer or anything like that. Its on half the tank, so if it gets to hot, he should move away to the other hide.

Thanks

Sometimes people say things to make a sale, but maybe it will heat up to the perfect temperature. I doubt it.
    Ball pythons are known for staying on heat, even to the point of a terrible burn. Do not trust your snake to do what is best for itself.
    It was a bad idea to buy a snake then try to get husbandry right. But thank you for asking here about what you can do. If things do not change, you will be paying vet bills in no time.
    You never mentioned how you are measuring your temperatures. Where is the thermometer?
    Maybe you should just include a picture of the enclosure all together. I am going to guess that this pet store guy told you a few things that aren't true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unhip_crayon View Post
    Yes it is an add water type of substrate.
    Yes my ball is inside the tank.
    No, I dont have a dimmer as of yet. When I spoke the the salesman at the pet store, he told me he has a ball with the same UTH and substrate and says he doesnt use a dimmer or anything like that. Its on half the tank, so if it gets to hot, he should move away to the other hide.
    the word salesman should be a hint. you dont want to leave your BP on a UTH unless it is controlled by a dimmer or thermostat. He can get serious burns.

I guess you can leave it the way it is if your not worried about your snake being burnt all over his body.

Thanks

well now I'm worried lol. Do you guys think it'll be fine over night or should I throw it in a tub for now? And Ive got two thermometer, 1 analog and the second is digital. I've been moving them around all day, from ground level to rooftop, left side to right.

Thanks

lol...and about the salesman thing. What your saying makes no sense,

"Sometimes people say things to make a sale"

Wouldnt he have tried to sell me a dimmer/reostat in that case? Cause I asked if one was needed.

But ya, on the safe side, I will purchase a dimmer.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast