Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

2 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 gallon?

Thanks

Re: 10 gallon?

Just use the 10 gallon tanks get a screen lid walmart sells 6 ft of vine's for $3 that is all you need and food and water dish

lance
    NEVER RELEASE FISH OR REPTILES OR ANY ANIMAL INTO THE WILD.

Please read the CARESHEET! to make sure you're doing the best you can for your pet.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lance For This Useful Post:

jben (04-01-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    For an adult I would set the tank up vertically. For younger geckos you could start out with it horizontally, and I would actually recommend keeping it horizontal for smaller geckos (under 10 grams or so). My number one recommendation for an adult would be something somewhat larger than a 10 gallon, but for the average size adult I think a 10 gallon is the minimum (or something like an Exo-terra 12x12x18 enclosure, which is a very similar size to a vertical 10 gallon). The more perches, branches and vertical climbing space you provide, the lesser the chances of your gecko hanging out on the glass (and they love to hang face down for some reason, which puts all the weight of their tail on that one vertebrae at the base of their spine), so the lesser the chance of FTS.

BUT, here is what I really think you should plan on. You won't be able to get just one crestie. It's just not possible. SO, plan on getting an 18x18x24 Exo-terra or some sort of screen or partial screen enclosure of similar size. Use your 10 gallons to grow up the babies/juvies that you get (or you can start babies in kritter keepers and move them up to the 10 gallons when they are ready). Then when they are old enough and sexable you can move your females into the larger enclosure, and if you don't have other larger caging by then as well you can keep single males in the 10 gallons until you upgrade them to make room for more babies.
    Sounds like a plan to me...LOL thank you

Thanks

Having kept Cresties for years, I've seen that they can get floppy tail just about any time. We have a 30+ gallon Exo Terra that had a single female in it for a long time and she had calcium issues. We just try to make sure that breeding females get adequate calcium supplementation both through their CGD and any feeder insects that they may get.

Ten gallon tanks are very common, in my experience, with what most people keep their cresteds in. Like others have said, just stand it on end and whatnot. Also, make sure, if you have them, that your cats can't pull the lids off, haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12