Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

1 members and 3,310 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 gallon?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts

10 gallon?

Hey, i'm doing as much research before getting into a crestie. i have (2) 10g tanks taking up space and have read that 1 adult crestie can be happily kept in one. now don't get me wrong i love the DIY from Steffe but since i already have tanks not being used, would it be ok to use them or just forget about it?
    Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: 10 gallon?

A 10 gallon would be okay for one average sized adult. If you happen to get one that grows to be on the larger side (60+ grams) you may want to give it something a bit bigger.
    - Emily

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

jben (03-31-2010)

Thanks

would i be able to use a mesh screen with locks on the tank or install a custom plexiglass?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You could use a regular screen lid or make something with partial plexiglass, just keep in mind that you need good ventilation.
    - Emily

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

jben (03-31-2010)

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: 10 gallon?

I have seen people use the screen tops and add a piece of plexi that covers part or the screen from the inside.. I guess they used silicon to hold it in place..

I made this bad boy from a 20L it's all plexi and I used silicon type II from home depot to hold the plexi in place.. just rough up the contact areas a lil bit with sandpaper for a better hold.. here is a pic. it's a lil fuzzy

Good luck and post pics

Cheers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zeke For This Useful Post:

jben (03-31-2010)

Thanks

Hey so here’s the problems I have seen encounter with 10 gallons. If not enough space the gecko will get 'flopsie' tail, a healthy adult just gets a tail that flops... this also can happen for other reasons. But this reason I am talking about is a healthy gecko too big for the tank. So in my opinion a 10gl is great for the first 2 years of its life after that a feel a 20 long is more appropriate. Not saying an adult won’t be fine in a 10gl. I have just seen they do better in larger arboreal space. Hope this helps!

Good luck.. Cresties are addictive.. Not sure but I got somewhere in the 50 range

click pic to see my reptiles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Warocker's Wife For This Useful Post:

jben (03-31-2010)

Thanks

thank you all, looks like we'll just go with the DIY tub just to make sure that everything is correct.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Floppy tail happens due to nutritional deficiency (mainly not enough calcium), hanging upside down or face down or just because of the mere fact that as the gecko grows its tail gets heavier and because the entire tail is only supported by one vertebrae, it sometimes just becomes too heavy for that one vertebrae to support. When it happens due to housing it is usually because there is not enough vertical climbing area (as in branches, vines, etc.) and so the gecko hangs at a 90 degree angle on the sides of the cage instead of at a lesser angle or no angle on perches, vines and whatnot. Sometimes there is nothing at all you can do to prevent floppy tail and it just happens because of the weight of the tail, but with proper diet and vertical climbing space and resting areas you are doing all that you can to prevent it.

A 10 gallon is probably the smallest you want to go for an adult, but I have not experienced that caging of that size is an actual cause for FTS when the cage is furnished appropriately. You could have a 50 gallon tank for your gecko, but if you didn't have proper climbing area and perches in it, the gecko would hang out on the the glass and become at risk for floppy tail. It's more about having the proper setup inside of the enclosure than the size of the enclosure.
    - Emily

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

jben (03-31-2010)

Thanks

That's interesting, so as long as the enclosure has lots of branches, perches and nic-nacs there's less chance for FTS. hmmm. Also the tank would have to be setup on it's side just like the above pic from zeke, correct?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

For an adult I would set the tank up vertically. For younger geckos you could start out with it horizontally, and I would actually recommend keeping it horizontal for smaller geckos (under 10 grams or so). My number one recommendation for an adult would be something somewhat larger than a 10 gallon, but for the average size adult I think a 10 gallon is the minimum (or something like an Exo-terra 12x12x18 enclosure, which is a very similar size to a vertical 10 gallon). The more perches, branches and vertical climbing space you provide, the lesser the chances of your gecko hanging out on the glass (and they love to hang face down for some reason, which puts all the weight of their tail on that one vertebrae at the base of their spine), so the lesser the chance of FTS.

BUT, here is what I really think you should plan on. You won't be able to get just one crestie. It's just not possible. SO, plan on getting an 18x18x24 Exo-terra or some sort of screen or partial screen enclosure of similar size. Use your 10 gallons to grow up the babies/juvies that you get (or you can start babies in kritter keepers and move them up to the 10 gallons when they are ready). Then when they are old enough and sexable you can move your females into the larger enclosure, and if you don't have other larger caging by then as well you can keep single males in the 10 gallons until you upgrade them to make room for more babies.
    - Emily

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

jben (04-01-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast