Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,261

3 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: silly snake

Thanks

silly snake

Ok so my BP has decided to make her own hide and now spends the large part of her day under the base of the climbing tree where she has made a little burrow. The problem is that I'm afraid she will get too cold. I took her temp and she was at 75 degrees which I think is too cold. I really want to avoid having to take everything out of her enclosure as this would be major stress but if I don't see her using her hot side more often I may not have a choice. Yesterday she did the same thing but moved to the hot hide in the evening.
    What should the snakes body temp be at?

Thanks

Re: silly snake

Well I decided to evict her and fill in her burrow, she was cold to the touch Hopefully filling in the hole with substrate will discourage her from trying that again. I had added 2 smaller hides to the enclosure on the weekend but she isn't using them so I shifted her hides a bit so they have a more private entrance. Snake is determined to give me a hard time.

Thanks

sorry but im not sure on your experience.

Are you temps good? How are you measuring them? Are the hides a nice tight fit?

You could add some plants or just some scrunched up paper so they feel more secure in the enclosure.

Are you using a glass tank? As they could easily feel vunerable being visually on display all the time

Jim

Thanks

Enclosure is glass and mesh but the sides and 1/2 front have been covered (we are having feeding issues) Tank was set up 1 month before the snake arrived and runs on auto-pilot cool side 75-80 (surface temp) hot side 85-90. Humidity 55-65%
    There are plants and a climbing tree, large water dish a thin strip of cork board leaning against the back (like a lean to) 2 small flowerpot hides (these would be snug if she would bother with them) and a rock hide that is too big for her but she goes into it anyways. I am reluctant to take out the hide that is too big because I don't want to stress her out more than she has been, like I said feeding issues
    I have pictures but don't know how to upload. This is my 1st snake and I have had her since Feb 28

Thanks

there is a sticky thread at the top of the pictures forum that will show you how to post pics.

If your snake has good hides and the temps and humidity are fine then i dont know what to suggest. maybe she is happy and is just being a stubborn feeder.

How old is the BP?

Maybe the enclosure is to big for her and she feels uncomfortable in it!

If she just a baby might be worth swapping her to tub until she has grown on a bit.

75 is not rediculusly low. The hot side could be a little warmer. The problem with glass tanks with high side are keeping the ambient air temperature up and glass doesnt hold heat very well.

I would personnaly raise the hot side up to between 90-94 and see if that helps bump the air temp.

Other wise a simple desk lamp on top of the cage can help pick the temperature up a degree or two. But this will drop the humidity so may need to reposion the water bowl nearer the warmer end of the tank to compensate.

Jim

Thanks

finally some cooperation! twisting the entrance to the hides seems to work she is in her flowerpot now now she can get to and from both her flowerpot hides using the privacy of the corkbark this way she doesn't have to come out into the open.
    The temps are good and stable, this has never been a problem the temp of 75 was the actual temp of the snake who was burrowed under the coldest part of the tank and into the damp substrate. I just took her temp with the temp gun
    Now it's hands off the tank till sat/Sun when I will make another attempt to feed her. hopefully the new tighter hides will boost her confidence and she will eat. she is only 6/7 months old and has had only 1 meal with me (march 10) since Feb 21 (last feed at the breeder)

Thanks

worry :( chalk it up to lack of experience

now she is worrying me again because she has spent the whole day and night in her hide. She hasn't budged once. I can't believe the stress this snake is causing me! I read everywhere that they can go without food for well over a month at this age without any ill effects, but I still worry about her.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Heh heh,

She's supposed to hide all day anyway.

Don't worry about it yet.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Everything you are describing is completely normal for a new snake.

The first week or two after you get the snake, it will tend to "lay out" (not use hides). Then once it feels safe, it will start to use the hides all day and all night.

I only see my snakes out of their hides around feeding day.

Just leave her alone for a week or two and then try feeding her. She will not starve and she will not freeze to death if she is at 75*. If she needs to get warmer she will go where it is warmer.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I just got my BP to dude, she spends all her time in hides to. I see her out suuuper late night sometimes. But other than that she's a snake and thats what she likes to do.
    "Be Excellent to each other, And Party on Dudes."
    Pets
    1.2 Cats (Hyuga, Luna, Saki)
    0.1 Woma Python
    1.1 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pastel "Opera",1.0 Pinstripe, 1.0 Spider "Carcillo"
    0.0.1 Striped California Kingsnake "Ceaser" 0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake "Bullet"
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast