Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

2 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ..Right..

Thanks

..Right..

Long story short. Debate with someone on another site with the whole live vs. pk. Part of their argument for pk was internal parasites (quite plausible) and mice giving snakes mites (haven't heard to this) which was on a "vet" website. Mid-way down the webpage, I noted that one of the remedies was using dog/cat flea medication on the snake. I pointed this out, then commented on how P-A-M was probably much safer since putting dog flea medication on cats can kill the cat; I couldn't imagine how toxic it might be to the reptile. They immediately went on about how just because I had never heard of someone using it didn't mean it was wrong/harmful. They also claimed the tuna or chicken juices on a mouse will entice a snake to eat. Haven't heard that one. I'd be concerned that the snake would only eat a prey item put in said juice, but alright. They also claimed they had worked with several large commercial snake breeders (who, as she claimed, all fed pk)..Not to mention, she thought I was a loon for suggesting that HSUS was backing the python ban -face palm-. Anyways.

I looked online to try and find anything about flea medication and snakes. I didn't. Figure that no one has tried it and posted it online. Can anyone prove/disprove this?

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

Re: ..Right..

I don't know about the flea medication thing, but it's definently not something I'd try! I'd use flea stuff for fleas and mite stuff for mites! I have often heard of people using chicken broth to entice a picky eater, and I've never heard anything bad about it.

Thanks

The flea medication was my biggest thing. I'm still trying to find something that says explicetly not to. I found something that mentioned flea collars but the person pretty much ignored it.

Thanks

The flea meds on a snake sounds TOTALLY unsafe, that stuff depending on what you get is some hard core chemicals that would probably kill a snake/reptile.
    -Zach
    My Snakes
    1.0 Bp 09' normal
    0.1 Bp 09' pastel
    0.1 Boa (bci) 09' hypo/ghost

Thanks

Decidedly, this person doesn't know anything. She just said the S373 was started by PIJAC.

-epic facepalm-

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

If these people do not believe that the HSUS would support and fund the snake ban then they are already wrong on every point in my book.

Dog/cat flea treatment does not sound safe at all. Something like that would have to go through clinical testing before it can be deemed safe for reptiles. The idiot who decides to use their own animals for the "testing" is exactly that. An idiot.

I do put flea/tick powder on the carpets in my house about once a year as a preventative measure. In the snake room I will sprinkle it along all the walls, in the doorway and along the closet walls. I would never put it in an area where the snakes would come in contact with it. I would never put anything that is not specifically for reptiles, on a reptile or in its enclosure.

PIJAC is fighting for our rights as reptile owners. They are against the ban. The ban was started by bill nelson. Do these people not read anything or pay attention to the news?
    Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 03-26-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Why debate someone that is clearly in need of a fact check. Send her the link to nosnakeban.com......if that doesn't help her nothing will. As far as the flea meds....I would think that it would be terribly harmful seeing how you have to be a certain weight for certain kinds. Not sure you can find one light enough for snakes.

Listen you hear all kinds of crazy...even on here sometimes. You can try to educate but past that...not much you can do.....if you keep arguing you will find yourself banging your head on a wall.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    Why debate someone that is clearly in need of a fact check. Send her the link to nosnakeban.com......if that doesn't help her nothing will. As far as the flea meds....I would think that it would be terribly harmful seeing how you have to be a certain weight for certain kinds. Not sure you can find one light enough for snakes.

Listen you hear all kinds of crazy...even on here sometimes. You can try to educate but past that...not much you can do.....if you keep arguing you will find yourself banging your head on a wall.
    She claims to have followed the bill closely..But I kind of doubt it.

Edit: -eye roll- Now I'm horrible because I don't dust my mice for mites.
    Last edited by Raptor; 03-26-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

First of all, I wouldn't dream of using any flea medication for dogs or cats on one of my snakes!! I love my babies too too much. I've worked in the pet industry for over 10 years, and some of that flea stuff isn't even safe for the dogs and cats! Second, snake mites are species specific, so wouldn't get mice mites. It sounds like this person is talkin a lot of crazy talk to me.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4theSNAKElady View Post
    First of all, I wouldn't dream of using any flea medication for dogs or cats on one of my snakes!! I love my babies too too much. I've worked in the pet industry for over 10 years, and some of that flea stuff isn't even safe for the dogs and cats! Second, snake mites are species specific, so wouldn't get mice mites. It sounds like this person is talkin a lot of crazy talk to me.
    Yeah. I'm kind of rolling my eyes at this point. She doesn't think that HSUS is behind the python ban. Although, I did link her to HSUS' website where it says that people shouldn't own snakes/exotic animals. No reply yet. She claims to have worked with some major names. One that she kept mentioning was LLLReptile and some others. If she did or not, I have no idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast