Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

0 members and 3,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: injecting antibiotics

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

You are certain you haven't been applying any oil based substance to him?

That can cause single scales to flake off.

I would keep double checking the surface temps of his enclosure in case it was something like a temp spike that caused your problems. Are they on the same thermostat?

What is the substrate again?

dr del
    The only thing i have applied to him in the cream the vet gave me for my other snake. he said it was ok to be used on any of my other snakes if they have skin issues.

It couldnt have been the temps, i havnt changed any of my routines. it seems as if my other snake passed her issues over to him, they dont ever get in contact with each other and i most certainly wash my hands in between handlings.

the substrate is paper towels.

i do have a dog that sleeps in the room they are in. dont know if that would be a big issue, the dog has been in that room everyday since i got my first snake 2 yrs ago, and never any problem until now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vilenica View Post
    Check out a thread I posted - "Funky Thyroid" maybe the pics will compare to your animal
    the flaking is sort of like that but on the belly scales. its doing exactly what my other snake did before she devoloped scale rot. i noticed on my other snake, while giving her her shots the other day, that she did have that exact flaking on her top scales, it is weird though because she is in the process of a regular shed.

the bottom scales on both snakes after flaking seem to look dry and rough.
    ive been soaking them normally! i am stumped!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

So you didn't apply this cream from the vets until after the flaking started?

What do you mean by soaking them normally? You only really need to soak snakes after a bad shed.

Or if they are covered in poo and it bothers you of course.

When you mention the temps I was more looking for an actual figure - what does your routine have to do with the temps?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Hi,

So you didn't apply this cream from the vets until after the flaking started?

What do you mean by soaking them normally? You only really need to soak snakes after a bad shed.

Or if they are covered in poo and it bothers you of course.

When you mention the temps I was more looking for an actual figure - what does your routine have to do with the temps?

dr del
    i did NOT apply the cream until after the flaking. (if there was nothing wrong why apply the cream?)

by "soaking normally" that means soaking a few days before the skin comes off to give them a little extra help, and also to get the poo off since gizmo loves to spread it everywhere.

the temps are; cool 80-82, warm 90-92, ambient 82-92 from both diff sides.

i meant routine as in keeping the room they are in at a steady 80 degress, spraying the tank (if needed) when the humidity gets too low in the winters, and morning/night cycles.

p.s. (i have not sprayed their tanks in ages!! since way before all this nonsense started happening)

Thanks

Hi,

Just checking.

Soaking them before the shed can actually cause problems - and if the humidity is right then it isn't necessary anyway.

Those temps sound fine obviously.

I'm at a loss to the reason your other snake has started flaking off belly scales.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Hi,

Just checking.

Soaking them before the shed can actually cause problems - and if the humidity is right then it isn't necessary anyway.

Those temps sound fine obviously.

I'm at a loss to the reason your other snake has started flaking off belly scales.

dr del
    . have you maybe heard of scale rot causing bacteria being air borne?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm far from an expert but I have to say no to that one.

Contamination via hands, tools or direct animal contact possibly but not airbourne.

Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

dr del
    Derek

Thanks

I have had a few snakes in the past that have came through as rescues that had scale rot. It can be caused by numerous things, feces that have been left in the enclosure that obviously carries bacteria, in the wild they can get away from it, in captivity they can not. Even after cleaning up the feces, bacteria can still linger around, that is why most people will clean their enclosures out real good with a bleach solution.

However, scale rot tends to be either brown or a type of orange in color. The scales that are flaking off will usually be dry, but underneath, will be moist, is some worse cases it will become infected, then begin to pus. The reason for the moist under layer is because their body is trying to heal its self. Burns will usually be red, pink, or even stay white if it is just a very mild burn. White burns have only scorches the outer scales, causing a slight flaking of the scales.

If you suspect your snake of having scale rot sterilize your enclosure, and switch your substrate to paper towels. You should keep the paper towels just slightly moist, not to the point where you would be able to wring water from them. Clean all hides, if you use real wood for hides, trees, etc, you should switch to plastic temporarily, and make sure there is no sharp edges as their scales are much more sensitive when they have scale rot. The dust and small particles from the wood could get the under scales infected. As well, you would need to sterilize the real wood before switching back once healed, as they may carry the bacteria that gave your snake scale rot in the first place.

As well, if your snake has scale rot, there is no at home remedy that will cure it. You would need to take the snake to the vet and get treatment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12