Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Importing Ball Python into US from Canada

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience importing ball pythons into the US from Canada. I go to school in Canada but am from New York and will be moving back in a few months. Anyone have any experience with different mail carriers for shipping snakes across the border or would it be easier to drive it across. I have done some research and know I need CITES from Canada as well as an exemption to cross at a non-registered portal. Any insight would be great.
    Thanks,
    John

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Importing Ball Python into US from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by john01209 View Post
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience importing ball pythons into the US from Canada. I go to school in Canada but am from New York and will be moving back in a few months. Anyone have any experience with different mail carriers for shipping snakes across the border or would it be easier to drive it across. I have done some research and know I need CITES from Canada as well as an exemption to cross at a non-registered portal. Any insight would be great.
    Thanks,
    John
    If you don't get cites you're a smuggler and could be arrested. It's a lot quicker to get cites in Canada to ship to the US than the other way around.

Breeders in the US now have Cites months in advance for animals they will produce so they can ship quickly. Most smaller breeders do not though.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

John,

Just a reminder, because it's really hard to decipher whether you're asking the legal method to bring in animals from Canada or whether you're asking about smuggling them. BP.net does NOT allow any posts that promote illegal activities.

8. No posts promoting illegal behavior will be tolerated, including but not limited to warez/pirating of copyrighted material, illegal drug or alcohol usage, and illegal ownership or trafficking of species.
    If you're trying to figure out how to get CITES paperwork in order to ship animals from Canada to the US, I'd recommend reaching out to one of the larger breeders in Canada, like Markus Jayne Ball Pythons and I'm sure that they'll be happy to answer all your questions and perhaps even help you get your paperwork in order.

Thanks

I think it was pretty obvious you were trying to get everything in order, and not attempting to do anything illegal. Don't worry John, you get pounced on pretty quick on this forum. Hopefully someone has some actual advice for you.

Thanks

well I've live on both sides of the border in northeast vermont, eastern townships of quebec. I've crossed both sides so many times with snakes in my car, sometimes in a bin right on the back seat, sometimes in a pillow case. I've never actually declared them though so I don't know what would happen if I did...chances are I'll be bringing more snakes through the border sometime in the near future and I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks

hmmmmm. Ok. That might not be so legal.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 250rider View Post
    well I've live on both sides of the border in northeast vermont, eastern townships of quebec. I've crossed both sides so many times with snakes in my car, sometimes in a bin right on the back seat, sometimes in a pillow case. I've never actually declared them though so I don't know what would happen if I did...chances are I'll be bringing more snakes through the border sometime in the near future and I'm not too worried about it.
    Seriously? After I just posted that no posts discussing ILLEGAL activity would be tolerated on this site?

Just because you haven't been caught doesn't make it less of a FEDERAL violation!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Seriously? After I just posted that no posts discussing ILLEGAL activity would be tolerated on this site?

Just because you haven't been caught doesn't make it less of a FEDERAL violation!
    uh oh...
    1.1 Yellowbelly "Samson"/"Lily"
    0.1 Pastel
    0.2 Normals??
    0.0.4 Baby Chickens
    & 4 Herp Shows

http://herpdaily.com/breeder-intervi...iness-success/
    Just a good little article

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

People like YOU are what is wrong with this industry/hobby!

And people wonder why politicians are trying to take our rights away from us?

Wouldn't have anything to do with irresponsible people such as YOURSELF would it?

Here is an idea for you how about trying to be a responsible reptile owner?
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

joepythons (04-01-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballbreeder View Post
    I think it was pretty obvious you were trying to get everything in order, and not attempting to do anything illegal. Don't worry John, you get pounced on pretty quick on this forum. Hopefully someone has some actual advice for you.
    You think so huh? It's his first post. Big Gunns would say there's a 50/50 chance this is a federal agent.

This is why they post things like this. To trap people like 250. He just admitted he was a smuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post

Yeah...it wasn't too smart on 250's part. Lets' hope John was just looking for the legal way to do it. If not, be expecting your door knocked in about 4am 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    People like YOU are what is wrong with this industry/hobby!

And people wonder why politicians are trying to take our rights away from us?

Wouldn't have anything to do with irresponsible people such as YOURSELF would it?

Here is an idea for you how about trying to be a responsible reptile owner?

Like BG said.....250 wasn't too swift here. Hopefully it won't come back to bite him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast