Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,459

2 members and 3,457 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Little guys

Thanks

Re: My Little guys

1. Fresh vs. Saltwater--What are the pros/cons, whether it be species possibilities, or general upkeep and costs THERE ARE FRESH WATER TURTLES AND BRACKISH WATER TURTLES IN THE PET TRADE. DIAMOND BACK TERRAPINS CAN BE KEPT IN BOTH. HUGE DEBATE ABOUT THAT LOL

2. How varying can your fish be? i.e., is it possible to have a good number of different species in a single aquarium?TURTLES DONT NEED FRIENDS LIKE SNAKES.BUT IF YOU WANT TO YOU CAN KEEP SOME DIFFERANT SPECIES TOGETHER. BUT THAT ALSO MEANS YOU MUST HAVE A BIG ENOUGH TANKT O ACCOMIDATE THEM. JUST KEEP IN MIND THAT AGGRESION CAN HAPPEN AND YOU MUST BE PREPAIRED TO HAVE ANOTHER TANK SET UP.

3. What is a generally good sized aquarium? I would love something with a nice, furniture looking base, and have seen some for good prices with everything in the 55 gallon range. Is this a good size, or are the 100+ a better choice? I'm not in a monstrous house, and don't have unlimited funds, so by no means am I looking for an MTV Cribs aquarium. Does size limit species possibilities? Is there a "most popular" size, or most bang for your buck? THIS WOULD REALLY DEPEND ON THE KIND OF TURTLE YOU PLAN TO KEEP.A COMMON MUSCK CAN LIVE HAPPILY IN A 30 LONG. I THINK IT GOES BY SAYING 10 GALLIONS PER INCH OF TURTLE.SO A 4 INCH TURTLE NEEDS ROUGHLY 40 GALLION ALSO ALOT OF PEOPLE KEEP TURTLE IN TOTES AND PREFROMED PONDS AND WATER TROUGHS. THEY CAN BE CHEAPER THEN TANKS

4. What are average monthly costs and what are the general upkeep requirements? AFTER YOUR SET UP FOOD MAYBE 15 A MONTH BULBES EVERY SIX MONTHS CAN VARY FROM 20 $ ON UP DEPENDING ON SIZE OF FIXTURE YOU USE. I ONLY USE A 18 INCH UV BULB OVER THE BASKING AREA. COST ME 20 ONLINE. I DO 20% WATER CHANGES ONCE AWEEK OR SO.CHANGE AND CLEAN FILTERS EVERY SIX MONTHS. OH I ONLY USE HOUSE INCANDESCENT BULBS FOR HEAT.

5. Where do you purchase your:
    -Supplies BIG APPLE HERP FOR TURTLES
    -TURTLES- TURTLE SOURCE,MARTINS EXOTIC
    -etc.

6. Do fish allow you to vacation? i.e., can I go home for the weekend without coming back to a tank full of dead fish? How do you handle time away?
    I HAVE DOGS SO I HAVE THE PERSON CHECKING MY DOGS FEED MY TURTLES. I AM A WORRY WORT SO I NEED THAT COMFORT LOL

7. How do you transport fish in case of a move?
    TURTLES ARE TRANSPORTED BEST DRY IN A CONTAINER.

8. Any other advice or opinions
    AQUATICS ARE COSTLY TO SET UP. BUT FOR ME ONCE THEY ARE . THEY ARENT MUCH WORK THEN A FISHTANK BUT THATS ME.
    9. SHOW OFF! I'd love to see your setups, I can't get enough of the beautiful aquariums people have and would love to see what everyone has![/QUOTE]

The only other thing I want to stress is size varies with sex. Females most time get greatly bigger then males and you cant tell sex till they are 4 or 5 inches. So if you get a hatchling be prepaired for something bIg unless you go with the smaller species of turtles like musks and muds.
    Last edited by Christine; 04-07-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks

That really made me want a turtle setup! Man....if I could have every type of critter I would!
    I am Kim......
    6 bp's, 1 cali king, 1 red footed tort, 2 cats, 2 dogs, assortment of feeders.....

Thanks

The thing I like about the turtles is they are very interactive. When they see you they come running. Even tho its mostly cause they want food but its still funny to see them move their little legs so fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12