Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,181

0 members and 3,181 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: He wants attention and he wants it now!

He stopped fighting so hard for attention, but didn't stop entirely.
    ^ point one that no, the cats do not hate me for declawing them. They still try to get plenty of attention but don't resort to scratching to get it and instead stick with something nicer like headbutting.

I've also tried the whole shutting all animals out of the bedroom thing and it just doesn't work, at least not with my cats. They would sit outside the door screaming until I'd let them in. At that point I preferred the scratches to the horrble sound.

And of course, getting a second cat did nothing in my case considering I got a second cat and as stated above had to do the same thing with her to stop the same exact issue.

Thanks

I have multiple cats, so in my problems with Liam are not related to him not having friends. (though don't tell my husband that getting a kitten would help. He'd drag me to the SPCA today if I even mentioned getting another kitten.)

Last night Liam only scratched my shoulder once. I think the squirt bottle may be helping though I intend to try the coin can as well.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Be consistent in your reprimands. If you're using the water pistol, use it all the time to reinforce the reprimand & training. He'll eventually learn to behave.

We've got a dog-cat...he comes when called, will lay at your feet, begs for food, will (sometimes) fetch, and generally acts like a dog, who wants attention a lot and will pat & claw your leg to get it. We've started the push and QUIT training to get him to stop the leg-clawing.

I used to let ours lay on the bed all the time, but with 4, it was harder than .... to figure out which one was peeing on the bed, so now (sadly) NONE of them sleep on my feet to keep them warm.

When we lived in the apt, I had the (now) two oldest spend the nights in large cat carriers (like crate training a dog) while I was at work at night. It was either that, or get evicted b/c of the wicked itch in the downstairs apt complained about our living noises. I later had a roommate whose Chihuahua peed on the carpet, and my little queen started doing it too, so they all have learned "time for bed" and spend the night in the carriers with towels for any accidents. 3 are stacked little to big, and they all jump into their own den. Sometimes when one gets tired of getting picked on, I'll find him in his kennel lying down where it's "safe".

Since R and I are both FT students now, we play with them in the afternoons and early evenings; I feed 'em, allowing an hour or two for potty; and then by say, 2030-2145 (sometimes 2200) they go into the "kennels" in the laundry room.
    Last edited by sweety314; 04-01-2010 at 02:45 AM.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123