Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

3 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Pastel questions

How many lines of pastel are there? Is there any decent way to tell which line a given pastel stems from?

Thanks

Re: Pastel questions

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyTF View Post
    How many lines of pastel are there? Is there any decent way to tell which line a given pastel stems from?
    The only way to tell is from what the breeder tells you. Other than that they are merely pastels.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown

Thanks

Some do have certain markings which you can kinda see in every one produced. As far as how many line.. Well your guess is as good as mine..

Thanks

These days a pastel is just a pastel. A breeder may tell you it is from a certain line but more often than not that is only because it may happen to look more or less like a picture they saw in a book that demonstrated the "standard" for that so-called line.

The mutation we call pastel is the same mutation for all of the known "lines". There are no compatibility issues. So the only real difference we can identify with certainty is that certain animals were produced and sold by certain importers/breeders. They identified characteristics of their animals that allowed them to designate a certain line of pastel. The original males may have come from different parts of Africa or they may have just been combined with females that complemented their physical appearance.

What is also true is that I am aware of no breeders that exercised breeding restraint when it came to a particular line. If there was a pastel that needed to be bred, it was bred. I cannot conjure an example of a breeder who chose to not breed a certain line of pastel in order to preserve is genetic provenance.

Finally, the market is the truest indicator of the pastel line discussion. Go to a trade show. Ninety-five percent (or more) of all pastels sold are labeled "Pastel", nothing more.

Regards,
    Colin Weaver
    East Coast Reptile Breeders
    http://www.ballpythonbreeder.com/
    Email: colin@ballpythonbreeder.com
    Phone: 757-572-1987 (Call or Text)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ColinWeaver For This Useful Post:

BILLB OKC (03-22-2010),Stewart_Reptiles (03-22-2010),Turbo Serpent (03-22-2010),WaRocker (03-22-2010),WesleyTF (03-22-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks. I had a feeling it was something like that, but I didn't know if only a few imports came over as pastels, in a similar way to how all spiders go back to one spider (or maybe this is just a myth, I'm not sure).

Thanks

Thanks. I had a feeling it was something like that, but I didn't know if only a few imports came over as pastels, in a similar way to how all spiders go back to one spider (or maybe this is just a myth, I'm not sure).
    As far as everyone knows there has only been one spider ever imported and that is where all of our spiders came from.
    1.0: Honey Bee | Lesser | Banana Pastel Enchi | Clown 66% Het Albino
    0.1: Kingpin | x2 Mojave | Super Pastel HGW | Albino | Sterling Mojave Pinstripe | GHI Pewter | Pastel Het Clown | Sable 66% Het Clown