Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,549

2 members and 2,547 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: "Life" on Discovery - Reptiles/Amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what's wrong with supporting the HSUS? I'm still fairly new to the reptile/herp hobby, so I wasn't aware that was an issue... I'm assuming it's something related to reptiles, since I didn't know about this before. Not to say I'm a huge supporter of them, but I did get my beloved dog there (Peninsula Humane Society) - and donate a small amount of money when I can.
    Your local humane society has nothing to do with the HSUS. They use the name humane society to trick people into believing that. They do NOT own one shelter and 98% of all the money they collect does not go to any shelters!
    Here is a link which exposes alot of the lies and misconceptions about these animal rights group which mask themselves as shelters.

http://www.exposeanimalrights.com/lies_corruption.html

My dogs also come from local shelters which I support wholeheartedly. The HSUS and PETA are extremists who feel owning animals are a form of slavery and farming animals for food is equivilant to the Holocaust. Yes they are that extreme and have currently been behind all the bills to end reptile ownership.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

From my (limited ) understanding the HSUS is one of the main groups pushing for the python ban and lobbying as hard as they can to limit the animals you can keep.

The initial plan of the snake ban was for a disgustingly large amount of animals rather than the big 9 they are still trying to kill the trade in.

Since they do very little actual animal care the odds are the money you gave them was used to try and stop you keeping your snakes.

It's ok though - they don't want anyone having any pets at all so the snakes are only the first step.

Have a browse about the snake ban threads and you will see the full picture.

It isn't an easy thing to find out if you have been supporting them though.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Lawson View Post
    These species are already regulated in Florida, which is the only state in the United States that has somewhat appropriate environment for them, and that only exists at the extreme southern tip of the state. (Legislation requires an inventory of the animals, microchips, locked room or individual cages, an annual fee on top of the annual fee to exhibit reptiles for sale, etc. - It is plenty sufficient enough to address this issue).

Also, pretty much everything you'll see on AP about the feral Python bivittatus population in the ENP is complete BS. The channel has become all about sensationalizing media to pull in more viewers anymore, and is far from a decent scientific channel like it once was.
    I agree Russ this is why I and thousands of others are boycotting AP. I wont be watching this program as well as any others on that network. I may buy the BBC version since it doesnt endorse the AP sensationalist programing. When they decide to become a decent scientific channel again, as Russ stated, I MAY watch them again but as I see it now I will not endorse their irresponsible programming like Faltal attraction and the other Jerry Springer like programs they have been spewing as animal programing.

Showing irresponsible behavior only creates more irresponsible behavior and exploiting and highlighting the misfits of exotic animal ownershipship and giving false and exxagerated information is what is bringing down our hobby and giving us ALL a bad name!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    It isn't an easy thing to find out if you have been supporting them though.

dr del
    Thanks for the info! It's not like I donate lots of money, since I'm usually pretty broke myself... I'd say no more than $200 in the last 10 years, so no harm done. I also donate solely to our local Humane Society, which (as far as they tell us) only goes directly back to THAT facility - a rather nice one in terms of their animal care. Anyway, it's good to know the whole story, and I'll definitely keep that in mind from now on.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    Your local humane society has nothing to do with the HSUS. They use the name humane society to trick people into believing that.
    Oh, you're right... http://www.peninsulahumanesociety.org/about/index.html
    http://www.peninsulahumanesociety.or...t/funding.html

They explicitly state they AREN'T part of the HSUS or ASPCA, so that was my misunderstanding. And since I've only really given them (PHS) money, I guess my conscience is clear.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 03-28-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CA cowgirl View Post
    On a similar but different note, have you watched the "Fatal Attractions" or the "Invasion of Killer Aliens" programs on Animal Planet?

And about that Fatal Attractions... what nut jobs!!
    I just saw that the Fatal Attractions reptile episode is on tonight, so I'm taping it on my dvr... afraid it's really going to piss me off, but I guess it's worth seeing!

On a funny note, I was just watching an old Florida Cops episode, where these two burly male cops were afraid of a corn snake (in somebody's home). They used batons and gloves to put it in a paper bag, and the snake was calmly staring at them like "What's your problem? Wusses." At least they humanely saved the snake, unlike this other episode where two cops killed a rat snake - that one REALLY made me mad.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 03-28-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    Oh, you're right... http://www.peninsulahumanesociety.org/about/index.html
    http://www.peninsulahumanesociety.or...t/funding.html

They explicitly state they AREN'T part of the HSUS or ASPCA, so that was my misunderstanding. And since I've only really given them (PHS) money, I guess my conscience is clear.
    Thanks Laura for posting this. The info on the first link is clearly written and helps me understand the truth behind HSUS and ASPCA.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I'm catching a rerun right now. I can't believe that a komodo hunt of a water buffalo was captured on camera, it's unbelievable that such a small (relatively) reptile hunts such huge prey!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I'm catching a rerun right now. I can't believe that a komodo hunt of a water buffalo was captured on camera, it's unbelievable that such a small (relatively) reptile hunts such huge prey!
    That was pretty darn amazing. Did you catch the fish episode? Awesomeness that others haven't been able to capture. And I don't know how they were able to capture the footage of the sea dragons in the crazy surge, without the camera moving side to side.

Thanks

Please forgive me , but I can't tell if you're being serious or perhaps sarcastic, foolin us noobs lol .. But I'd like to hear more about this. Bearded dragons and iguanas are venomous? Maybe start a new thread on the topic ?

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I suspect the 'incorrect information' people are complaining about was the fact that Komodo dragons are venomous.

Surprise--science advances. Komodo dragons ARE venomous. Why did it take them so long to realize this? Beats me.

Komodo dragons are venomous...and so are a lot of other monitor species. So are a lot of other lizard species, including bearded dragons. Now, Komodo venom is quite a bit more potent than beardie venom, due to the quantities, but still--it is venom.
    Gilas and Beaded lizards have been knocked off their pedestal.

Folks out there who have had a finger or hand swell up from a monitor or iguana bite--feel vindicated. Yes, you actually WERE envenomated, you're not just allergic to reptile spit.

I hope no one seriously thinks Oprah was winging it when comes to narration there--she was reading a script. There were no mistakes for her to make, it was all written down and rehearsed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast