Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,080

1 members and 3,079 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: "Life" on Discovery - Reptiles/Amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Lawson View Post
    Yeah, Oprah narrating it is why I haven't watched any yet. I'll definitely have to catch it on BBC sometime.
    Oprah being the narrator is why I almost didn't record the series. I just care not to be labeled as an Oprah follower. And I'm not, I'm just bad enough to be able to appreciate the content - I care about the footage, not the voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    I forgot it was Oprah talking after a while, since I was too engrossed in the footage...
    Totally, same here Laura! I hear the words but try to ignore her sound (not one of our usual animal life narrators, not a natural fit) and ignorance (she said a few things that were not accurate, something to do with the komodos or something reptile related, I forget). I'm not blaming Oprah for the one or two things innacurate she said, she's just the naive narrator that I don't think knows a thing about animals beyond a pet dog or cat. And heck, since I can't recall what she said that was innacurate, that's totally just my opinion and could be wrong. But like Laura, it works well just watching the content and the voice "goes away"!

Quote Originally Posted by Jhussey View Post
    I too absolutely love watching these shows, even if I've seen them a hundred times. I owen both Planet Earth and Blue Planet on Blu-ray and as soon as Life is out I'll own it too . I just love how indepth they get into the lives of these animals and the time and effort they put into it! And yes that pebble toad is awesome! hehe.
    And the slow motion is better than any other animal life episode that I've ever seen!!! Fabulous detail, superb!! I have an HD LCD, couldn't imagine how much more fabulous the blu-ray would look! Maybe I'll buy one of those things one day.
    Last edited by CA cowgirl; 03-28-2010 at 12:58 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Wait,

Your version is voiced by Oprah???!?!?!?!

Jeebus that sucks - our's has the man, the myth, the uber-legend David Attenborough doing the voice over.

If I were you I would order the british version instead.

dr del
    I think that the producers wish to draw in more viewers and the US is full of Oprah followers, many of which I would believe don't watch programs like this and don't give a rats butt about nature/animals. Anyhow, yes, David Attenborough sounds better since he's done this before. But one question I query... I wonder what David Attenborough knows, knew or was passionate about in the wild kingdom before he began narrating. That to me is my main want in a narrator for a wildlife show - to have a narrator that is passionate about what they are narrating and has some experience in the subject, not just a voice. And to not have a voice like Gilbert Gottfried is also a want. <LOL>

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CA cowgirl View Post
    Oprah being the narrator is why I almost didn't record the series. I just care not to be labeled as an Oprah follower. And I'm not, I'm just bad enough to be able to appreciate the content - I care about the footage, not the voice.

Totally, same here Laura! I hear the words but try to ignore her sound (not one of our usual animal life narrators, not a natural fit) and ignorance (she said a few things that were not accurate, something to do with the komodos or something reptile related, I forget). I'm not blaming Oprah for the one or two things innacurate she said, she's just the naive narrator that I don't think knows a thing about animals beyond a pet dog or cat. And heck, since I can't recall what she said that was innacurate, that's totally just my opinion and could be wrong. But like Laura, it works well just watching the content and the voice "goes away"!

And the slow motion is better than any other animal life episode that I've ever seen!!! Fabulous detail, superb!! I have an HD LCD, couldn't imagine how much more fabulous the blu-ray would look! Maybe I'll buy one of those things one day.
    I would just find it insulting to my intelligence to watch a science show narrated by that woman. I saw a clip with her narrating and didn't care for it at all. I have no problem waiting to watch it until I can do so with it narrated by David Attenborough even if that means having to purchase the BBC version (on blu-ray of course) when it comes out.
    Russell Lawson

Thanks

Oprah is a big supporter of the HSUS so i really don't think she should be narrating anything to do with nature.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakemastercanada View Post
    Oprah is a big supporter of the HSUS so i really don't think she should be narrating anything to do with nature.
    Don't make accusations unless you have factual evidence.
    Until then, I won't believe you, because my trainer taught Oprah, and she's not stupid about animals.

Thanks

Check them out. I respect the opinions of those who say the shows are bs, but with every story/rumor/joke there is at least an ounce of truth. And I do believe that the burmese pythons are reproducing outside of captivity in large numbers in Florida and it should be stopped with the least cost and most use of logic.
    WAIT, so if I make a rumor that turtles are amphibians.. that makes it TRUE??
    That's amazing!

Haha, I'm just pushing your buttons.
    But for serious, I haven't seen a single factual or scientifically based piece of information off of either of those shows. And listening to politicians talk on them just means they have to be full of lies.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I think that the producers wish to draw in more viewers and the US is full of Oprah followers, many of which I would believe don't watch programs like this and don't give a rats butt about nature/animals. Anyhow, yes, David Attenborough sounds better since he's done this before. But one question I query... I wonder what David Attenborough knows, knew or was passionate about in the wild kingdom before he began narrating. That to me is my main want in a narrator for a wildlife show - to have a narrator that is passionate about what they are narrating and has some experience in the subject, not just a voice. And to not have a voice like Gilbert Gottfried is also a want. <LOL>
    I rarely use the word hero but for this gentleman I make a total and unashamed exception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Attenborough

He has been the voice of facinating nature programs since before even I was born.

He is beyond a doubt one of the reasons I became intrested in nature at all - the other being my father who shared his passion if not his travel opportunities.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I suspect the 'incorrect information' people are complaining about was the fact that Komodo dragons are venomous.

Surprise--science advances. Komodo dragons ARE venomous. Why did it take them so long to realize this? Beats me.

Komodo dragons are venomous...and so are a lot of other monitor species. So are a lot of other lizard species, including bearded dragons. Now, Komodo venom is quite a bit more potent than beardie venom, due to the quantities, but still--it is venom.
    Gilas and Beaded lizards have been knocked off their pedestal.

Folks out there who have had a finger or hand swell up from a monitor or iguana bite--feel vindicated. Yes, you actually WERE envenomated, you're not just allergic to reptile spit.

I hope no one seriously thinks Oprah was winging it when comes to narration there--she was reading a script. There were no mistakes for her to make, it was all written down and rehearsed.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Don't make accusations unless you have factual evidence.
    Until then, I won't believe you, because my trainer taught Oprah, and she's not stupid about animals.
    http://www.humanesociety.org/about/d...p2_041409.html
    Oprah had Wayne Pacelle on her show not once but twice. The above link is for when she had Wayne on for Prop 2. I think that shows support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakemastercanada View Post
    http://www.humanesociety.org/about/d...p2_041409.html
    Oprah had Wayne Pacelle on her show not once but twice. The above link is for when she had Wayne on for Prop 2. I think that shows support.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what's wrong with supporting the HSUS? I'm still fairly new to the reptile/herp hobby, so I wasn't aware that was an issue... I'm assuming it's something related to reptiles, since I didn't know about this before. Not to say I'm a huge supporter of them, but I did get my beloved dog there (Peninsula Humane Society) - and donate a small amount of money when I can.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 03-28-2010 at 07:53 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast