Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

0 members and 3,182 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Please Help Me :(

Hey guys, Im very new to this forum, I just found it on google whilst looking for help on my rat.

Im very sorry if this is in the wrong section but im just worried and would like help asap.

Basically about 2 weeks ago my rat got "Head Tilt" Now i know that its caused by 3 things, Tumor, Ear Infection or a stroke.
    Me and my wife took her to the vet who said he cannot diagnose anything but gave me some antibiotics just incase it was an infection, I gave her the medicine 2 times a day as told but nothing is happening.
    She was still very lively with this head tilt thing and was running arounf playing with us even though she had little balance, She was eating and drinking too.
    Now it seems she is deteriorating as she cannot move her left side at all and uses her right legs to pull herself along things, If she tries to stand upshe rolls over onto the side thats "dead" She is in a little draw next to my bed and she doesn't move, She stays curled up in a ball and makes little squeeking noises that im not sure are caused by pain or breathing, I have noticed that she seems to move her head weirdly when im trying to hand feed her food, Its like she cannot see it and knocks her head off it, Im pretty sure she is on her last legs. Im pretty upset by this as i prefer my rat over my dog and i just want to make her happy before she goes.

She also has green stuff coming out her bum.

We have only had her 1 yr and 2 months and was bought as a baby, She is a pretty rare huskey rat.

We bought her with another rat that is doing fine, They were in the same cage but we took them out because the bigger rat would beat the crap out of the one that is sick ( Was not sick at the time ) And wouldnt let her eat or drink, I just hope that this hasn't caused it.
    Thanks for reading.

Thanks for any help given.

Thanks

Re: Please Help Me :(

I’m truly sorry to hear about your pet. I’ve had rats as pets ever since I was 4 years old so I know how attached you can get to the little guys. I know female rats are very prone to breast cancer; a few of my female rats got it. I’m sure you have checked for lumps and I doubt breast cancer would cause the head tilt but it always caused an unbalance in the way my rats walked. I advise you to take her to another vet and take a stool sample of hers with you. I’ve experienced some veterinarians who will not give a rat the time of day so I just go to another one. Eventually I found a vet who would operate on my $3 PetSmart rats for $20 and even fashioned a little rat mouthpiece for anesthesia. Even if they can not help her a great deal, they can at least tell you the best course of action (be it rest and antibiotics or possibly euthanasia if there is not cure and to avoid pain). I’m sure that once being in the same cage as the bigger rat did not cause this. It is probably a health issue that was unavoidable. I’m also sure that she is doing a lot better than she could be because of how well you are caring for her. So, again, try taking her to a few more veterinarians and get the best answer you can. If the worst happens then just hold her and pet her and try and feel comforted that you’ve gave her a happy life.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info, I have tried numerous vets but none will or "can" diagnose anything.

Im pretty upset as im just watching her fading away hoping for a full recovery.
    There are no lumps though which is wierd but she seems to be grinding her teeth together alot.

I don't think she will make it through tonight, Im just hoping she dies in my hands as i wouldn't want her to die alone.

Thanks for the help i shall keep you updated if you like.

Thanks

I'm sorry you've had no luck with the vets. It might just be something no one can fix. I hope she keeps holding on and gets better, but if not then I think it very well of you to keep her company. If it is not too much trouble then I would appreciate getting updates on her. Husky rats are adorable, what is her name if I may ask?

Thanks

Her name is Jojo

She is stil hanging in there, Im now having to put liquid on my finger for her to lick off as she can't move her head, Im hoping she will recover but im pretty sure she won't.

I spoke to a vet who advised me to have her put to sleep but im in two minds about it as i can't seem to bring myself to do it...
    I just keep thinking that she has no say in the matter, Its like me being put in a car by a serial killer and knowing that im getting closer and closer to my death.

But she is making noises that i thought was caused by breathing, However when she is alseep those noises are gone...So im now assuming that they a signs of pain.

Thanks

Just to let you guys know..She is still here :\ Im currently feeding her milk from a syringe trying to get her some goodness hoping she will get better, She is a little fighter !

Thanks

Jojo is a cute name. I'm glad she's still hanging on. The syringe is a good idea, it will help her out a lot with drinking. She might be in a bit of pain but if she still has the will to eat/drink then she's still trying. I wouldn't have the heart to put her down unless there was no hope whatsoever. I would tend to her for as long as you can or until you think things will not get better. I wish her and you the best of luck.

Thanks

Jojo passed away tonight, She tried to crawl out of the draw so i picked her up and she held my finger with her little hand and took her last breath...Was very tearful.

Glad she is in a better place and no more pain.

Thanks for caring and for the help and advice you gave, Im very greatful.

Thanks

Sorry for your loss

Thanks

Very sorry for your loss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast