Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,208

0 members and 3,208 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: If the postal service openly shipped snakes, would it be profitable, or detrimental?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Profitable for the USPS but detrimental for the herp community.

10 24.39%
  • Profitable for the herp community but detrimental for the USPS.

2 4.88%
  • Profitable for both.

21 51.22%
  • Detrimental for both.

8 19.51%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: Postal Service Snake Shipping Poll

Ok, the actual law:

You MUST LABEL YOUR PACKAGE. You must state clearly ON THE BOX that it contains live animals--you must write it big enough so everyone can read it. The point is, everyone handling the box who's paying any attention should know that there are live animals inside.

You must have the number and species, and common names (yes, all three items) listed clearly in a place that is accessible WITHOUT opening the box. It may be written on the box, or it may be on a slip of paper in an envelope attached to the box. If you hide it under the shipping label in the plastic pouch, that's FINE, but you must leave a note on the box (not hidden) stating that the information is there under the shipping label.

This is what is required by the Lacey Act, and there's no wiggle room. It doesn't matter if you use USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, or Delta Dash--you must still abide by this law, and label your package correctly. I will also point out that it doesn't matter how you feel, or whether you think it's a risk that people will abuse the package more because it's labeled, etc--this law is a LAW, and it is not negotiable. A person sending a package that is not labeled in this fashion is a felon. A person receiving a package that is incorrectly labeled is ALSO A FELON IF THEY KNOW WHAT IS IN THE PACKAGE. The only legal recourse for someone who has an incorrectly labeled package delivered is to refuse it, and of course no one will risk an animal's life that way. This is why it's so crucial for folks to demand that sellers come into compliance, if they aren't.

Now, because USPS does not permit the shipping of snakes, if you correctly label your package, they will reject it. Thus, the only way to ship snakes through USPS is to do so illegally--by not marking your package correctly. Is this more understandable for folks?

Now, as to the track records of UPS, Fed Ex, and USPS...
    Get serious, folks--they all suck. Royally, repeatedly, and thoroughly. Arguing over which one is worse is pointless. You will find horror stories about all three services. People choose one--if they have good luck with it, they stick with it. If they don't, they switch to another one. Chances are, eventually they'll have a bad experience with that one too.

Now, individual hubs also vary in quality. In some places, you can't trust the local offices for one company, but another is fine. In a different place, it'll be the other way around.

In the past, I shipped geckos using USPS. They were fine, and on time. I've shipped animals using Fed Ex. Ditto.
    I'm currently using UPS (through SYR). They've been fine. There was one delay due to weather, but that wasn't their fault, that was a snowstorm at an airport. It was only a half a day, and I had them hold the package at the hub when it arrived at the destination, and it was fine.

I'm quite sure that eventually, there will be a problem. It's pretty much inevitable. Shipping animals is risky, and we all know that. Which service the problem will be with, well, it could be any of them.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
    ill have to disagree with you on that. i use USPS for any other things and have never had a problem with them. UPS is garbage and i hate using them to ship anything.

if USPS changed rules so that it was legal to ship reptiles or inverts (Ts and scorpions) i would use them without question. to me, its USPS, FEDEX, or nothing.
    Maybe UPS and USPS are different where you live, but USPS where I live is pretty bad. They have lost my packages on several occasions. I have never had any issues with UPS, and have shipped and received snake and non-snake packages with them many times. I actually like UPS better than FedEx for snake shipments. I did have a couple FedEx snake shipments get lost. Luckily they found them not long after and were only a couple of hours late.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

last UPS shippment i made was for snakes. i didn't want to do it for other reason and i don't feel like arguing those at this time. the person i was shipping to insisted on using them so i did. the package was supposed to be there around noon but didn't show up till 7.

every over night shippment i have made with USPS has showed up on time all over the country. made its just where you live.....im sure its different every where but USPS has been good to me.

Thanks

Both of my parent work for postal services.

My Dad works for UPS and says they are the worst, as a matter of fact his exact words were "If you are looking to ship something fragile or meaningful, you better do it yourself. Only because once it hits the guys on the division ramp, fragile means throw it harder to them".

My Mom works for the USPS plant, and she says that it is just so filthy she's shocked that the bubonic plague isn't killing her off.

I can only go by what they say, I don't step foot into our post offices unless need be. Yet, with them working there and saying it's that bad, I would be worried to ship any thing that is alive.

Thanks

The government has never done anything right

Thanks

On a personal note. I don't trust the government. Ever.

As A customer I won't buy if it's shipped through the USPS.
    "Be Excellent to each other, And Party on Dudes."
    Pets
    1.2 Cats (Hyuga, Luna, Saki)
    0.1 Woma Python
    1.1 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pastel "Opera",1.0 Pinstripe, 1.0 Spider "Carcillo"
    0.0.1 Striped California Kingsnake "Ceaser" 0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake "Bullet"
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos

Thanks

shipping time sensitive pkgs. thru the USPS is not a good idea,the post office is not a airline,they turn there pkgs over to the airlines for transport.airline employees primary concern is passengers not "mail".

UPS and FEDEX are airlines and there primary job is pkgs.,not having tax dollars to rely on they either turn a profit or go under.

if it were legal i would NEVER choose the post office for live animal shipments,they simply don;t have a reliable efficient system for moving pkgs.
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Thanks

I have shipped about 6,000 packages via USPS in the last 4 years. Between lost,damaged,and returned to sender,I've had issues with under 1 dozen. A few others end up in limbo,but were eventually delivered. Prices are definitely cheaper than UPS and FedEx for what I do. Anything over 70lbs goes out UPS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WickedBalls For This Useful Post:

ballbreeder (07-07-2010)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123