Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

3 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Red Belly Scales...help!

You notice its only on the middle to lower half of the body? Would this be from when they make a "ball"

I only have 1 bp but when ours is in the hide only the middle to lower half of the body touches the uth because normally the upper half is in a ball on top of the rest if the body

If that makes any sense
    Last edited by BuckeyeBalls; 03-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks

Yes, that looks like a burn. I have found that scale rot usually covers the belly scales in a uniform fashion as opposed to very intensely in only a few spots.
    Best of luck. Tell us how it goes.
    If a snake was being burned, why would it not get off the heat exactly? I have always wondered.......maybe it only has a single hide?

Thanks

So here's what's progressed so far. My girlfriend works at a vet office (which does NOT see exotics), but one of the Vets there used to work with exotics, and is a relief vet on the weekends for one of our local exotic vets. I was steered away from taking him to the vet I had an appt. with, due to the recommendation of my girlfriends co-worker (who is a relief vet there). But he agreed to look at the snake and just give his opinion on it before I rescheduled with another exotics vet (that he highly recommended). So my girlfriend took him to work with her and when her co-worker (the former exotics vet, now strictly dogs and cats) saw him his first idea was a burn.

However, he (and I don't know the details of this yet as I haven't gotten to talk to her in detail about it yet, this just happened today), decided to extract something from underneath his belly scales with a syringe, and extracted a "yellowey, puss looking liquid" (as my girlfriend described it to me briefly over the phone). He then said he did NOT believe it was a burn, but a bacterial infection and to make another apptmnt. with a diff. exotic vet that could write me a prescription for snakes.

So I now have an appt. on Monday morning for him to be seen.

Here are the only other pictures I took before I let her take him.

Thanks

He was on Aspen shavings that were dry...I can only think that he pushed the shavings aside over the heat mat and was sitting directly on the glass over the heat. If this vet's opinion is wrong and it IS a burn, that is how it happened. Feel like a dumb*** now....I work at a pet store and all our snakes have heat mats without thermostats and I have never seen anything like this in 4 years of being there...and before I got my rack system and thermostat I had my snakes in tanks with heat mats and never saw a burn. Live and learn right.

On the other hand...if it is a bacterial infection...I don't know how he would have got it...I read it comes from a too damp and too dirty environment...but his shavings were not damp and poop is cleaned immediately after it is made.

Guess we'll see what they say Monday.

Pretty angry at myself if it is a burn ...wont be keeping any other snakes this way.
    Last edited by BaierBalls; 03-19-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

As the saying goes, stuff happens. As long as you take the initiative to fix what caused the problem, and are helping the ball by taking it to the vet.
    Still looks like a bad burn to me, that maybe got infected as well.

Hope the vet you see can help. Good luck.
    Last edited by dr del; 03-19-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: removing censor bypass

Thanks

as long as u r fixing the snakes living situation and getting the snake treatment then dont be mad. as th OP said, stuff happens. kinda sux u had to learn the hard way tho. good luck, let us know what the verdict is
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks

Visited the Vet. earlier today. Everyone who guessed BURN was correct. So here's doctors orders:

1. Keep on clean paper towels.

2. Soak snake in a Providone-Iodine/water mixture for 30 minutes at a time, two times a day.

3. After soak, cover burned area with Silvadene Cream.

4. Amikacin injection once every three days as a preventative to infection.

Doc says it is a bad burn, but he's seen much worse. Says these burns are more common with ball pythons than any other snake. They seem less likely to move away from a hot area then other species of snake. I wonder why this is?

Anyways, lesson learned, and wont make the same mistake again! Wish us luck on a speedy recovery!

Thanks

Well, I guess I'm late for the verdict. Any how, I was going to say that burns usually do puss to help the skin stay moist and heal, it is the body's natural way of trying to correct its self.

Every one makes mistakes though, don't beat your self up over it. The point is as long as you learn from this experience and fix the problem, it makes you a better more knowledgeable person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12