Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,751

0 members and 2,751 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
    Thanks

My poor girl has a RI - QQQ??

The pastel girl that I got on Friday has a bad RI. I am giving her Baytril injections every other day for 14 days. Today I was giving her water from the plunger of a syringe and she was just laying there drinking it like a baby drinking a bottle. Then she had mucus coming out of her mouth. She just layed there like a good little patient and while I wiped her mouth clean. Do you guys think she will make it?? How long before I see signs of improvement?? Does the treatment sound correct??

1.0 BEL ~ 1.0 Super Pastel ~ 0.3 Pastel
    0.1 Spider ~ 1.0 Spider het Ghost
    0.1 Pinstripe ~ 1.0 Yellow Belly
    1.1 Cinnamon ~ 1.2 Mojave
    1.0 Lesser ~ 0.1 het Ghost
    1.0 Albino ~ 0.1 Black Pastel ~ 1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Pied ~ 1.0 het Pied ~ 1.0 Axanthic
    1.0 Orange Ghost ~ 0.3 Normals ~ 1.8 Ghana Normals

Thanks

Re: My poor girl has a RI - QQQ??

Quote Originally Posted by nikevijo View Post
    The pastel girl that I got on Friday has a bad RI. I am giving her Baytril injections every other day for 14 days. Today I was giving her water from the plunger of a syringe and she was just laying there drinking it like a baby drinking a bottle. Then she had mucus coming out of her mouth. She just layed there like a good little patient and while I wiped her mouth clean. Do you guys think she will make it?? How long before I see signs of improvement?? Does the treatment sound correct??
    How many units of Baytril?

I've soaked snakes with RI. I got this advice from Dr. Boyd, a very good Reptile Vet. This allows them to drink what they want as well as humidify the lung. Don't worry about wiping the mouth, it's going to blow bubbles for a few days.

Baytril can take more time than other meds but it usually takes care of the infection. Dr. Boyd told me one time that he saw a snake that was so bad, he had to inject antibiotics directly into the lung.

One other thing. Keep an eye on mouth rot too. Sometimes RI will cause mouth rot.

I wouldn't think you'll see any change for at least 10 days, but probably longer. If the snake has it really bad, you may have to go with another 14 day treatment.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks

when mine got the RI i was prescribed amikacin, and after 2 treatments she showed lots of improvement, and even ate, but i dont know about baytril, don't give her water from a plunger, this will stress her, just leave her be

Thanks

She is getting 1/2 of .1 on a 1.0 cc syringe. She weighs 238g

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    How many units of Baytril?

I've soaked snakes with RI. I got this advice from Dr. Boyd, a very good Reptile Vet. This allows them to drink what they want as well as humidify the lung. Don't worry about wiping the mouth, it's going to blow bubbles for a few days.

Baytril can take more time than other meds but it usually takes care of the infection. Dr. Boyd told me one time that he saw a snake that was so bad, he had to inject antibiotics directly into the lung.

One other thing. Keep an eye on mouth rot too. Sometimes RI will cause mouth rot.

I wouldn't think you'll see any change for at least 10 days, but probably longer. If the snake has it really bad, you may have to go with another 14 day treatment.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

1.0 BEL ~ 1.0 Super Pastel ~ 0.3 Pastel
    0.1 Spider ~ 1.0 Spider het Ghost
    0.1 Pinstripe ~ 1.0 Yellow Belly
    1.1 Cinnamon ~ 1.2 Mojave
    1.0 Lesser ~ 0.1 het Ghost
    1.0 Albino ~ 0.1 Black Pastel ~ 1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Pied ~ 1.0 het Pied ~ 1.0 Axanthic
    1.0 Orange Ghost ~ 0.3 Normals ~ 1.8 Ghana Normals

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikevijo View Post
    She is getting 1/2 of .1 on a 1.0 cc syringe. She weighs 238g
    I'm pretty sure that's a small dose. That seems like possibly half the dose I would expect. Maybe you can measure the units from the syringe.

Also what kind of syringe is that? Is that an insulin syringe? How long of a needle? I've never seen a 1cc diabetic syringe, all the ones I've seen are .5 cc/50 unit syringes. I'm a diabetic, so I'm a little curious on this one.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith
    Last edited by j_h_smith; 03-15-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks

Did you get a culture on the RI?

Pseudomonas is a pretty common bug to cause RIs, and it has shown strong resistance to Baytril recently in the vet world. If a culture was taken, you would ask the vet to run a sensitivity test on the culture to make sure that the Baytril works on the particular strain you are dealing with.

(PS: if it is pseudomonas amikacin therapy works well, especially in conjunction with ticarcillin or a similar beta-lactam antibiotic)

She will be fine though. My poor baby just got over a RI what was having her star-gazing and hacking up mucus - and she is all better now!