Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

0 members and 3,185 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Aggressive Mouse

Ok, today is feeding day for my ball python. Im was planning on feeding her two mice. So I put in the first mouse and she ate it no prob. But then I go and put in the second on after she had completely swallowed the first one and her jaw was back to normal. The second on starts crawling all over her and nipping at her head so I took ot out with tongs and it freaking attacked the tongs. Should I just take it back and get a new,less aggressive one?
    Reptiles are like potato chips

You cant have just one

Thanks

Re: Aggressive Mouse

i dont feed live my self but i would suggest holding the mouse by the scruff of the neck with tongs and offering it or you could offer it freshly killed and wiggle it with the tongs yourself

jim

Thanks

Ok thanks, I would be feeding f/t but she just ignores those so ive been feeding her live. Whats a good way to kill a mouse without like having to brake its neck or something?
    Reptiles are like potato chips

You cant have just one

Thanks

i've done it once and im not sure how people will re-act but what i did was put it in a bag and wacked it againts a hard table. Make sure its wacked hard tho.

you will also have to watch it to make sure you haven't just stund it (knocked it out for brief momemt of time)

Im not saying its humane and others may have a better method so may be worth keeping the little fella till the next feeding day. As i said i feed frozen and have only done this once.

Either someone can give you a less brutal method by then or maybe the mouse will be less agressive and your snake will be hungrier and will strike the mouse harder.

If your snake is hungry the mouse (if it appropriate in size) will be eaten.

jim

Thanks

There is a method that works pretty fast but I would recommend watching videos on it and knowing how to do so before attempting it by what I've typed.

Hold the mouse by the tail on a table so it's squirming but trying to walk straight. Take some sort of utensil and put it behind the neck. Make sure the utensil is right behind the head on the neck, and once you have it in position where the utensil is blocking the mouse from moving backwards and you have the neck sort of pinned on the table, take the tail and yank it back so it completely kills the rodent.

I saw this on a video once and was quite impressed to see how fast it works. Not very humane but better than the Co2 Chamber.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toreh View Post
    so I took it out with tongs and it freaking attacked the tongs. Should I just take it back and get a new,less aggressive one?
    LMAO
    Leopard gecko (ooday jackson)

2010 normal ball python (skinny pimpin aka skinny jackson)

Savannah monitor (genesis jackson)

4 year old presa canario (storm jackson)

2 month old rednose pitbull (noko jaclson)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    There is a method that works pretty fast but I would recommend watching videos on it and knowing how to do so before attempting it by what I've typed.

Hold the mouse by the tail on a table so it's squirming but trying to walk straight. Take some sort of utensil and put it behind the neck. Make sure the utensil is right behind the head on the neck, and once you have it in position where the utensil is blocking the mouse from moving backwards and you have the neck sort of pinned on the table, take the tail and yank it back so it completely kills the rodent.

I saw this on a video once and was quite impressed to see how fast it works. Not very humane but better than the Co2 Chamber.
    This is how the owners of the reptile store near me always did it when you bought prekilled rodents. They just used a very long and rather thick screw driver. Its very fast and painless. Better than wacking it against a wall or freezing it. They would push the screw driver down at the same time they jerked the rat back. It was very fast.

It sounds bad but its much better than some other ways.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (03-14-2010)

Thanks

whatever you do, if your gonna do it, then you cant do a half job of it.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

jim

Thanks

By all means, don't throw it in the freezer and talk about it on this forum.

Jim Smith

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    By all means, don't throw it in the freezer and talk about it on this forum.

Jim Smith
    Can't you just imagine how many comments that thread would get? And I'm pretty sure the comments won't be too nice either
    Tiff'z Morphz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast