Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,226

1 members and 1,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Question Why Does Alexander....?

I may have a weird snake. He doesn't seem to care for his den at all now.I thought may be the cypress was too pokey, so I put fake leaves on itand still he sits upstairs. And even prefers to sit on his bridge alot. See below:

The second picture shows his den below his choice on where to sit is. The heating pad is working fine, not too hot or too cold.I decided since he didn't want to sit down there, I'd put in a standard watt (Reveal Brand) bulb for light and heat in a fixture that was right above his cage on the warm side. The temp is 80-90 degrees depending on the time of day, and when the sun shines on that window you see behind him.

If he's not on the bridge, he'll nap under the flowers.

Actually I think he likes sitting outwith me more. I didn't handle him yesterday after he ate. But he came out this morning as usual.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Why Does Alexander....?

Well he is definately a ball python, haha.

He could still be a little stressed with his new environment. I find new snakes will tend to "lay out" until they feel safe enough to hide in their proper hides.

Do you have a digital thermometer with a probe on the glass where the UTH is?

The pictures are a little small so its hard to see whats going on.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

i'd say check your temps in the hides with an accurate thermometer. if they are ok i would suggest that he just feels secure enough to spend more time out of the hide. but defo worth a check

jim

Banned
    Thanks

No I don't have a digital thermometer. But I do put my hand in there daily to check on the temp and make sure the pad is working.

You would think he would feel secure in the den not out and about all over the rest of the tank. He did use the den at first when I had the tank in the wrong spot but since the move he likes looking out at stuff.

Thanks

you need to get a thermometer to check the temps.

putting your hand in is not enough.

your snake could be stressed by the temp and a high temp can burn and injure your pet. it could also stress it out and it will either go off food or even regurgitate its food if the temps are not sufficient for digestion.

They are only like £10 or $12 dollars for a standard gauge and its worth every penny

jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arsinoe View Post
    No I don't have a digital thermometer. But I do put my hand in there daily to check on the temp and make sure the pad is working.

You would think he would feel secure in the den not out and about all over the rest of the tank. He did use the den at first when I had the tank in the wrong spot but since the move he likes looking out at stuff.
    Measuring temperatures with your hand doesn't really work since our extremities vary greatly in temperature.

Get a good thermometer like the accurite weather station (found at lowes, home depot, and walmart for around $12) so that you can get an accurate reading of the temperatures. The UTH might be working but it also might be too hot.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Arsinoe (03-14-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Actually I was more worried about it not being hot enough since Io put in too much substrate at first and look a bit out. I also have 1/4 space between the shelf and tank that lowered the temp.

I will get that digital thermometer though.

Are the stick on gauge types like I put on not that good?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arsinoe View Post
    Actually I was more worried about it not being hot enough since Io put in too much substrate at first and look a bit out. I also have 1/4 space between the shelf and tank that lowered the temp.

I will get that digital thermometer though.

Are the stick on gauge types like I put on not that good?
    They are just really inaccurate and can be up to 10* wrong in both directions.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

they are especially bad if you have a glass tank because the temperature will be MUCH cooler on the glass then it would be on hot spot. Thats without the plus and minus 10 factor already mentioned. Your hot spot could easily be above 100 and you would have no idea.

Banned
    Thanks

Alexander has taken to sitting in the corner where I think he ate his Mickey Saturday. Is he hinting he wants another mouse already?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast