Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

1 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

RI N weight loss

hi there, hope someone can help me with this..
    1st of all i have a 09 spider ball. she's caught RI late feb 10. n has been lossing quite a lot of weight. frm 800grm to 680.
    she been injected wit amiken(i think i spell it wrng sorry) n oral baytril as follow up medication.
    so shuld i risk force feeding her or not? she looks skinny
    plz help if u guys can n thankz.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: RI N weight loss

First ditch Oral meds, ball pythons metabolism is very slow and dont digest oral meds well.

What were the first set of shots and what was the second set. Baytril or Fortaz should of been issued for the first set. Always get injections and not oral.

While giving the meds you want to keep her nice and warm with a 82 cool side 92 warm side to help kick the immune system into overdrive.

As for feeding pictures would be great to determine the weight loss. But more than likely not eating due to stress of the meds.

How are you offering food and what type of prey.

Thanks

dont force feed her!...mine has an RI infection too,, after being lost for 8 months....i have to give her 1 shot of amikacin every 3 days...at first there was no improvement, but yesterday she took her first meal in 8 months.... i'm giving her another mice in 2 days, and every 3 days after that until she get some weight back on, give her time, she is sick and if u force feed she will just throw it up, or refuse following feedings, dont attempt to feed more than once a week, cause this will stress her out, give her time and keep us updated =]

Thanks

get rid of the oral baytril and go back o amikacin until u r 100% sure the RI is gone. oral doses threw my bp off feed for a while also. leave her alone as much as possible, offer once a week or every 5 days and she will eat. or try leaving a f/t prey in her warm hide overnight
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    First ditch Oral meds, ball pythons metabolism is very slow and dont digest oral meds well.

What were the first set of shots and what was the second set. Baytril or Fortaz should of been issued for the first set. Always get injections and not oral.

While giving the meds you want to keep her nice and warm with a 82 cool side 92 warm side to help kick the immune system into overdrive.

As for feeding pictures would be great to determine the weight loss. But more than likely not eating due to stress of the meds.

How are you offering food and what type of prey.
    i just have her injected a week ago with amikacin and the doc ask to follow up with the oral med. i just found out that there is a vet for reptiles in brunei. b4 that i just heat it up to 85F as advice by one of my frend.
    im bring her back to the vet agian mrw for another check up. see how it goes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
    i just have her injected a week ago with amikacin and the doc ask to follow up with the oral med. i just found out that there is a vet for reptiles in brunei. b4 that i just heat it up to 85F as advice by one of my frend.
    im bring her back to the vet agian mrw for another check up. see how it goes
    YOu need to keep her at 82-84 cool side and 92-94 warm side. 85 is too broad of a temp and will possible not help in the meds department

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpkeelee View Post
    get rid of the oral baytril and go back o amikacin until u r 100% sure the RI is gone. oral doses threw my bp off feed for a while also. leave her alone as much as possible, offer once a week or every 5 days and she will eat. or try leaving a f/t prey in her warm hide overnight
    ok note taken n thankz.. ill try to upload her photos if i have time tq

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maria1232 View Post
    dont force feed her!...mine has an RI infection too,, after being lost for 8 months....i have to give her 1 shot of amikacin every 3 days...at first there was no improvement, but yesterday she took her first meal in 8 months.... i'm giving her another mice in 2 days, and every 3 days after that until she get some weight back on, give her time, she is sick and if u force feed she will just throw it up, or refuse following feedings, dont attempt to feed more than once a week, cause this will stress her out, give her time and keep us updated =]
    tq