Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,584

2 members and 2,582 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crickets

Thanks

Re: Crickets

They all died and never produced anything. They had water, food, and it was in the mid to high 70s in the room.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    They all died and never produced anything. They had water, food, and it was in the mid to high 70s in the room.
    dang.... that kind of makes me think I will fail also

how how does it usually take for them to sex, lay eggs, then for the eggs to hatch all-together? (just so I have an idea of when to be expecting the babies if they ever come)

Thanks

At six to seven weeks old the adults will mate and the females will lay. Once the eggs are laid it takes between 3-7 days to hatch depending on the environment. I think the eggs should be incubated at 93 degrees. In my opinion, crickets are really finicky insects and are a pain to breed.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks

You'll have eggs after about 5-7 days which will need to incubate. You can see the eggs, they are about 1-2 inches down in the soil. You'll have to make sure you spray that soild to keep it damp. If it dries, the eggs will die.

Put the top (this will keep moisture in) on the breeder container and put it in a warm spot. Generally within 2 weeks it should be swarming with pinheads. Be sure to put another breeder container in with the breeding colony so you can keep it going.

It's easy, just remember, the colder it is, the slower the cycle is. You can speed it up by putting the breeding colony on top of a heating pad as well as the incubating breeding container.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    You'll have eggs after about 5-7 days which will need to incubate. You can see the eggs, they are about 1-2 inches down in the soil. You'll have to make sure you spray that soild to keep it damp. If it dries, the eggs will die.

Put the top (this will keep moisture in) on the breeder container and put it in a warm spot. Generally within 2 weeks it should be swarming with pinheads. Be sure to put another breeder container in with the breeding colony so you can keep it going.

It's easy, just remember, the colder it is, the slower the cycle is. You can speed it up by putting the breeding colony on top of a heating pad as well as the incubating breeding container.
    lol.. well thanks for explaining it to me but thats way too much work for some stupid crickets. I am just going to leave them how they are and if pinheads pop up sometime soon, I will seperate them into a new container using my handy 6 inch tweezers

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post

crickets only have a total life cycle of 6-8 weeks...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

a good nesting box is to use a chinese food foil bottom with plastic lid container and eco earth....

to make a nesting box:
    make the eco earth to spec and add it to the food container.....put it in with your chirping crickets (it works best if you make little paper or cardboard ramps so the crickets can get in the container easier)

Put the container with eco earth in with the crickets for a week...then remove it and put the lid on....

if you want multiple batches...keep adding nesting boxes.....

now find a heat source....

I keep mine behind my large LCD TV....

I have heard of people placing them on or near room lamps, computers...any place their is heat....just be careful not to block anythign off and create a fire hazard...use common sense.

keep the babies in the container until you can see them in it moving around....then just place them in another container(aquarium)

you can reuse the food container and dirt for the next round of eggs now....I would recommend remoistening it first though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12