Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

0 members and 3,177 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: Making Your Python A Family Member

Thanks JLC--My point is to desensitize him to seeing the others running in front of him or jumping on moms shoulders to leap off to an shelf etc or the puppies fussing around with each other...he's going to have his knickers in a knot every time he gets to come out and sit with mom. He's not going to be a playmate with of them. He is now VERY relaxed around everyone. No defensive stances or trying to run off and he's never even balled up in a knot cause he's afraid. This was accomplished in a weeks time....But them mom isn't a nervous sort and I'm sure he feeds off this as well.

Thanks

Just remember, these animals are nothing like mammals. They do not get used to things like dogs. They don't go through training, and they don't get used to things easier when they're younger. Except maybe f/t, but I think that would depend on what kind of eater you have. They don't consider you part of their family, because snakes don't have family.

I think the cat that is 13 years old and drools is still a cat, and still has feral instinct. You never know when it will kick in.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, I haven't "trained" or desensitized any of mine - and I have a dog and two cats.

All of mine are pretty laid back in the presence of the cats and the dog, and don't have their knickers in a knot either - without training them or rubbing them on the dog or cats.

I have tried to get them to be friendly to my pet rats but they keep eating them.......
    Last edited by rabernet; 03-15-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Registered User rockhardchick666's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unspecified42 View Post
    "Oh, no, she's ok! She's very friendly!"
    I hate that line. No lady, it's been very friendly so far.

With all the animals I deal or have delt with - horses, goats, cows, chickens, dogs, cats, sugar gliders, hamsters..whatever, my response is always "it hasn't bitten yet." I still have to wear gloves with new Mr. Snake, he doesn't fall under that category.

Thanks

I have 4 cats and a small dog. None of them come in contact with my snakes at any time. When my snakes used to be in my room, the cats left them alone for the most part. On occasion, a cat would sit and stare at a snake, but the snake just went about her business and never paid any attention to the cat.

I don't see a point in "socializing" a reptile (other than a lizard) with another animal. If you want to, that's fine, but I just doing see a point to it. A snake will become calmer being handled in general, not because you are "exposing" it to the other critters. My dog is especially not allowed in the animal room because I think, if given the chance, he would develop hunting behavior.

In a nutshell, I only socialize animals that need to be, like my dog, cats, and ferrets. They only socialize with each other. All other animals are in the animal room and are kept away from the others.
    Under Construction.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123