Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,190

0 members and 3,190 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Making Your Python A Family Member

I agree with all of the above, but I do "trust" one of my dogs with my snakes (well, the older two BPs). She thinks everything is her baby since we fostered kittens a few years back, and she just lays down and lets anything crawl on her. I'd never leave them alone obviously, and I don't go out of my way to introduce them, but yeah, sometimes we're just all hanging out on my bed My little dog however, would probably eat them if she got the chance (part terrier, she wants to eat everything ) in most cases, not a good idea. And to the story above, I wouldn't ever just let my dog run at someone else's pet. Sure, she's friendly, but how do you know the other person's pet is? Sheesh.
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Registered User OzarkMountainBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    um well... I really see no reason for a ball python to get along with a cat.. They are never going to be "friends" because ball pythons are not social animals. I can understand bringing the snake out to interact with your human family but the cat? I would consider putting a snake and a cat together a dangerous situation for both of them. Cats bite, snakes bite.

I would say this is probably the LEAST important part of owning a pet. Your ball python should not be interacting with any other animals. If they don't interact, then they can never stress each other out. It would be INCREDIBLY stressful to be in the snakes position while a giant cat is staring at you, don't you think?

Ball pythons are normally head shy, you can't train them to not be head shy. They don't have any arms or legs to protect their heads and their heads are the most vulnerable part of their bodies.

I think you need to slow down and give this animal some space. I don't handle any of my new snakes for 2 weeks after I get them to allow them to adjust to their new home. Handling him and putting him on top of cats is not going to make him more comfortable, it is going to stress him out.
    [QUOTE=Kaorte;1288122]
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkMountainBalls View Post

My snakes are generally comfortable with ME touching their heads because they don't read me as a threat anymore. If I hand a snake to my friend and they try to touch its head, it recoils.
    Fair enough. I havent had alot of people handling my snakes so i wouldent notice that!! Point well taken.

Protect our rights!!
    My Crew
    4.7 Great Ball Pythons!!
    0.0.1 Boa constrictor ~ Petie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I have a cat and a dog and I don't allow them to get near my snakes. My cat often tries to sneak into the snake room to take a gander at the snakes but I never leave him back there unattended. I really don't think my snakes want any interaction with my cat or dog.

Thanks

Here's a good reason not to let cats and snakes mingle. See the 3 dots on the lower part of his body? Those are bite marks from when he escaped his cage and one of my cats found him.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=785733059

Of my 6 cats, there are 3 that I might could trust to not harm my snakes. But they're still cats, they all view snakes as potential prey and something to play with, kill and eat. The outside of their tanks is the closest any of the cats are going to get to my snakes.
    2.0 Normal BP (Paradox, Charade)
    1.0 Nicaraguan Boa (Enigma)
    1.0 Cube Stripe Corn (Ember)
    0.1 Motley Sunglow Corn (Phoenix)
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk (Pastiche)

Banned
    Thanks

I forgot to tell you the cat Alexander sat on. Is 13 years old and drools on himself.

I feel making your fur family avoid contact with your reptile family is a mistake. I have all sorts of different animals and they all get along fine.They grew up with each other for the most part and despite some being the predator of another with safety precautions in force, there is generally no problems. Mean I am hardly going to let the ferrets, who are free range might I add, play with the guinea pigs. Alexander needs to learn not to be nervous around his new family. Remember a calm snake is a happy snake. He will never be allowed to roam or interact with anyone with out close supervision......As for everyone else...They could care less he's just something else mommy drug in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Whats wrong with just letting the humans interact with the reptiles?

Putting the snake with a cat or any other animal is not going to make it calm. It is going to make it stressed. Your best bet would be to do short 15 minute handling sessions for the first couple months so the snake gets used to you and doesn't register you as a threat. After a while, the snake will be comfortable being out and will most likely ignore any other animal in the room.

I really don't understand why you think putting a cat with a snake is beneficial to either party. You are just putting them both in danger.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (03-14-2010),Chocolate Muffin's (03-13-2010),Swingline0.0.1 (03-13-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Everyone's situation is different, and everyone has different ways of relating to their animals. And all the animals are different, too.

When I was a kid, we had a cat who was a great hunter, and we had a really cool parakeet who was very sociable. Those two eventually became friends...or at least able to interact together without hurting each other. It was really cool and fun. But would I recommend that everyone who has cats and birds teach them to "be friends"? Nah. That was a special time with special animals. I wouldn't expect every family with cats and birds to be able to do that...or even think they should to want to do that.

The OP has their own unique way of interacting with their animals, and I think that's very cool. While I don't think she'll get very many folks on this site relating to her situation, I can certainly understand and respect her own way of doing things. Just because someone doesn't do things MY way doesn't mean they aren't taking good care of their animals.
    -- Judy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Arsinoe (03-14-2010)

Thanks

I'm always trying to get my BPs to be friends with the rats I bring home. I go through ALOT of pet rats though...

On a more serious note, I keep my snakes and my other animals very seperate, but the other animals are fine with eachother. The biggest reason is that my dogs weigh 3lbs and 4lbs, so there literally is a possibility the snakes might kill them. Obviously that could never happen while I was around, but on the off chance someone escapes I'd rather the dogs run away from them than go say "Oh hey buuuuddy...."

Social animals can definately get along with social animals of different species... Ie. the cat/bird example... But I think that antisocial animals are best kept solo.
    0.4 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 California Kingsnake
    1.0 Sudan Plated Lizard
    1.1 Long-haired Chihuahua

Thanks

I view pet ownership as a responsibility one undertakes to care for another creature that did not ask to live with us. The personal reasons we may have for wanting to adopt this responsibility are subjective, but I believe providing the optimal care for them is not.

Prior to getting my BP I did a lot of research into their care needs, paying special attention on how to keep them comfortable. Aside from using this information to properly set up his enclosure, I also accepted the fact that what I may perceive as a joy (such as frequent handling) would not be best for him. Simply put, I accept him for what he is, as he is, and I do my best to live in harmony with those needs while enjoying his company. I look forward to doing so for another 30 years!

While I understand your desire to familiarize your pets with one another, and for some species it is a great idea, I would urge you to consider some of the inherent instinctual needs of the ball python. As others have pointed out, exposure to animals that are his natural predators (even if you know them to be docile) will cause stress that can manifest in unpleasant ways, such as health conditions. There is also the potential for illness/bacteria to spread from the snake to your mammal-pets, such as salmonella.

I have no doubt that you love the new addition to your family, and I always love to hear about dedicated pet owners, so please don’t perceive any of my comments as disparaging. I am simply offering what advice I can to help you and your new BP have a long and happy life together.

Thanks for sharing, and don’t forget to post picts in the pic forum! (We love to see pics!)
    Last edited by NightLad; 03-14-2010 at 02:39 AM.
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NightLad For This Useful Post:

Jay_Bunny (03-15-2010)

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Well I think I tend to be over the top with pets. ALL of them....I even wrap my beardie in a blankey everynight and rock him to sleep.... We bring our snakes out just about everyday...except the 48 hours after they eat and whenever they are in shed. They get to "play" with each other but really they tend to do what they want to and go to their favorite places.

We do have 2 dogs....however we don't mix them. I don't think anything would happen but it just takes one time to seriously injure or kill the snakes. I would be concerned with the cat only due to they tend to play allot and when they play they use their claws...be it their front or back. That would be my only concern. Again....it only takes one time. My other concern is the snakes....one time when one of mine was on my leg....my hubby looked over and we swear she looked about ready to attack my dogs ear...lol. That would of been a ugly issue.

I also agree that eventually they will become less and less head shy....especially with age as well.

All in all it is your choice and you know your animals...just be careful...accidents happen.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast