Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

1 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Lightbulb Making Your Python A Family Member

I thought it would be interesting to share and hear from people who socialize their Python with their other pets and make them more of a family member.

I've started with Alexander to let him sit on top of whatever kitty maybe on my laps at the time so he see's that it's okay to be with them and also not to be upset when they look at him in his tank. I think this is important to multi pet homes that they all get along and don't stress each other out.

I have been working with him not to be head shy. He wasn't so much so to begin with, but it's important that he doesn't take the actions of another pet, with a nose touch as a reason to strike. In fact he's gotten pretty good at letting me pat his head going in from the front with out him recoiling back from my hand And I've only had him a week now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Making Your Python A Family Member

um well... I really see no reason for a ball python to get along with a cat.. They are never going to be "friends" because ball pythons are not social animals. I can understand bringing the snake out to interact with your human family but the cat? I would consider putting a snake and a cat together a dangerous situation for both of them. Cats bite, snakes bite.

I would say this is probably the LEAST important part of owning a pet. Your ball python should not be interacting with any other animals. If they don't interact, then they can never stress each other out. It would be INCREDIBLY stressful to be in the snakes position while a giant cat is staring at you, don't you think?

Ball pythons are normally head shy, you can't train them to not be head shy. They don't have any arms or legs to protect their heads and their heads are the most vulnerable part of their bodies.

I think you need to slow down and give this animal some space. I don't handle any of my new snakes for 2 weeks after I get them to allow them to adjust to their new home. Handling him and putting him on top of cats is not going to make him more comfortable, it is going to stress him out.
    ~Steffe

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (03-13-2010),dc4teg (03-14-2010),NightLad (03-14-2010),rabernet (03-13-2010)

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts

When i was living in Florida I Play with my BP regularly ( i even let her hang out on my neck when i was talking to my friends on skype/chat - she was great attraction on chat rooms ) She was for sure part of my family and I was devastated when I need to give her away because of Moving to NYC. Right now i'm moving outside of town just to be able keeping BP again and if that gonna be plausible i gonna bring her back because i miss her like i missed all my previous pets.

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks

a cat and a snake?! i wouldnt say that's the best idea, when the cat is looking at the snake through the tank .. the snake in my opinion SHOULD be scared. i mean the cats preditorial instinct isnt saying hi to the snake, but dont get me wrong there are some instances where 2 animals that youd think would kill eachother become the best of friends. be careful! trips to the vet are pricey!

As for your snake being head shy.. youve only had him/her a week!!! ofcourse they're going to be shy. i know it's hard not to leave them alone because they're soooo cute but it's for the best. the last thing you want is to stress out your new pet.

Registered User OzarkMountainBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Kaorte;1288101]
    Ball pythons are normally head shy, you can't train them to not be head shy. They don't have any arms or legs to protect their heads and their heads are the most vulnerable part of their bodies.
    QUOTE]

I dont know if this holds true with all snakes but when i got my boa petie he was very headshy. After many handling sessions i am now able to gently rub his head without a swift retraction. So I will have to politley disagree with you on this matter.

Protect our rights!!
    My Crew
    4.7 Great Ball Pythons!!
    0.0.1 Boa constrictor ~ Petie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

[QUOTE=OzarkMountainBalls;1288113]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    QUOTE]

I dont know if this holds true with all snakes but when i got my boa petie he was very headshy. After many handling sessions i am now able to gently rub his head without a swift retraction. So I will have to politley disagree with you on this matter.
    My snakes are generally comfortable with ME touching their heads because they don't read me as a threat anymore. If I hand a snake to my friend and they try to touch its head, it recoils.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I wouldn't put a cat or dog with my ball pythons. It's just too risky. What happens if the dog/cat is in a playful mood and tries to nip/bat at the BP? Of course the BP is going to react, then soon you'll have a sticky situation where you need to decide which course of action is going to hurt whatever pet the least.

You're going to have this snake for ~20 years. You will gain it's trust, just give him time to settle in and get used to some things.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elise.m For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (03-13-2010)

BPnet Veteran Chocolate Muffin's's Avatar
    Thanks

I know the love and adornment that comes when one first acquires a snake - but as many have said, it really does take time and trust for them to become more secure and less head shy.

I agree 100% with the person who said that some snakes can become less head shy. That is true; I have personally experienced this with my 17 year old BP Nico. However, as a general rule, I would not attempt to blend the lives of two species of animals that would not naturally coexist in nature – e.g. reptiles and our furry companions.

I just think that a good understanding of snakes and companion animals will dictate that some pets should not intermingle. We have a reptile house, and no fur is allowed, so for us, this is not a quandarie that we would find ourselves in.
    Chocolate Muffin (f- normal) - 4 1/2 years old
    Nico N. Wilson (f - normal) - 20 years old

and introducing:

Doreanne P. Smithe - 3 years old
    (f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

I do have one snake i have trained not to be head shy. She is an educational animal and my personal pet.

but as far as reptiles and cats.. my cats NEVER interact with my herps. its for everyones safety.

Thanks

Nope. I don't allow my dog in the snake room or too close to the snakes if they are out. There's no point, and neither snakes nor dog would benefit from it. I also don't completely trust either party to be safe and friendly.

I had one of the snakes at the vet's office one time. My son wanted to hold her in the waiting room and that was fine- we were the only ones there except for one lady who had no pet with her. Then the lady's family comes in with a big dog and they just drop the leash to let the dog run around to come say hi. Of course the dog runs straight for my five year old holding a snake around his neck... I jumped up to keep the dog away from the snake and the dog's owner just goes "Oh, no, she's ok! She's very friendly!" Riiiighhttt...I don't care HOW friendly your dog is, the snake doesn't appreciate its company!

Sorry, that wasn't a completely topical anecdote. This topic just made me think of it and it made me angry all over again! lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast