Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

0 members and 3,118 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Sexing monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by slayer View Post
    .............. Male
    How can you tell just by size? Both of my monitors were rescues and were starved when I got them. I am certain they would have been bigger if they were properly cared for in the beginning, especially my Nile, he's a tiny guy at two years old...

About two months ago Chris (Mumps) told me to start feeding them every day, and I did right after he said so. They won't always eat every day, but usually they will take it. I have also since changed their diet a lot, I no longer give hard boiled eggs or beef liver to them at all. I actually stocked up on a lot of canned foods that are meant for monitors, I got ZooMed canned monitor/ tegu food, canned grasshoppers, canned snails, and canned shrimp. I also feed live dubia roaches, rat pups, and super worms, so they are not just eating canned stuff. I have to admit, they are a bit more active now, so a special thanks to Chris (Mumps).

Thanks

Speaking just about your Sav, the size+age is what screams male. Also id forget about those canned foods. Stick with the roaches, superworms and very occasional rat pup. Mumps wont steer you wrong, good job recognizing good info.
    Last edited by slayer; 05-04-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slayer View Post
    Speaking just about your Sav, the size+age is what screams male. Also id forget about those canned foods. Stick with the roaches, superworms and very occasional rat pup. Mumps wont steer you wrong, good job recognizing good info.
    Oh, man, please don't tell me that about the canned foods. I just spend $130 so that I would be stocked up on them. What is so bad about the canned grasshoppers, shrimp, and snails? I know the other canned monitor/ tegu food is not that great, I only bought that as a last resort meal, in case I run out of the other stuff and can't get out to buy food. Also, I only feed rat pups ever two weeks, so not that often.

I can not breed my own roach, rats, or anything for that fact. If they were to ever escape, I would be killed, ha ha.

Thanks

Well, my Savannah monitor did not feel like participating today, but here are some pictures of my Nile monitor.

And then it was feeding time.

Maybe tomorrow for the Savannah guys, sorry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12