Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,433

3 members and 2,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

I thought I had a feeding success...

I got a new BP last week, and fed it last night.

I offered it a f/t mouse. It struck it and constricted it really well. I left him alone, and went to bed. I was all happy that he ate for the first time in his new home.

I just got home from work, and went to check on him. There lying in his tub next to him was the mouse that I thought he ate! Should this be a concern? Any thoughts on to why he struck and constricted but didn't eat?

Thanks,
    George

My Collection:

1.1 Normal Python Regius (Cleveland & Betty White)
    1.0 Spider Python Regius (Peter Parker)
    1.1 Canis Lupus Familiaris -- Pug (Guster & Guinness)

Thanks

Re: I thought I had a feeding success...

BP are notorious picky eaters, wait a week and try again, maybe try a smaller mouse, he might have found it too big for his liking, go with a small mice and then see if after he eats he'll start to eat something bigger, it might just be stress because of his new habitat, let him get accustomed, dont stress out just yet, mine did that twice when i first got her before his hunger got the best of her =] good luck

Thanks

On several feedings, different snakes have taken the mouse, constricted and then dropped it. I've picked it up and offered it to them again, to have them take it and eat it. Something for you to try.
    2.0 Normal BP (Paradox, Charade)
    1.0 Nicaraguan Boa (Enigma)
    1.0 Cube Stripe Corn (Ember)
    0.1 Motley Sunglow Corn (Phoenix)
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk (Pastiche)

Thanks

Make sure your mouse is hot enough. They will sometimes not swallow it if it's too cold.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zantedeschia View Post
    On several feedings, different snakes have taken the mouse, constricted and then dropped it. I've picked it up and offered it to them again, to have them take it and eat it. Something for you to try.
    I would have tried that, but I have never had a snake constrict and not eat before. He constricted really good, and I just figured he he would eat it. Like I said, it wasn't until the next day that I realized he hadn't eaten it.

So, I know you are not supposed to attempt to feed again so soon, but I decided to try again tonight (2 days later). Per advice from the breeder I got him from, I decided to try a smaller meal of a mouse fuzzy. The fuzzy was pretty small (only 6g), but so is my snake -- he was the runt of the clutch, and had a few force feeds in the past, but according to the breeder has been eating well for the last month and a half.

Anyway, I offered the fuzzy, he struck and constricted. I checked on him a half hour later, and the fuzzy was still in there. I took your advice, and offered it to him again -- he struck and constricted, and this time he ate!

I quickly ran to the freezer and thawed out another one. This time he constricted and ate it right away. Yes! I was able to get 12g worth of food in him (he only weighs 98g, so not too bad).

Thanks for the help everyone -- hopefully he will take a small mouse next week, since I only picked up two fuzzy's today.
    George

My Collection:

1.1 Normal Python Regius (Cleveland & Betty White)
    1.0 Spider Python Regius (Peter Parker)
    1.1 Canis Lupus Familiaris -- Pug (Guster & Guinness)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I had a similar problem tonight.

The local shop I sell hatchlings too doesn't seem to get the point of using a hairdrier on the FT mice so I am trying to change over my little guys to their way of offering food to smooth any transition.

It is generally going quite well but one is being stubborn and now demands a "zombie mouse dance" before deigning to strike and a second one struck, coiled, then "lost" his mouse 4 times before actually eating the thing.

Life would be soooooooo much easier if I could train the shop rather than the snakes.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.