Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 905

0 members and 905 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585

Thread: My Dobes!

Thanks

My Dobes!

Along with my love for snakes I also have a love for Dobermans! I do love all dogs but Dobermans in peticular have been my favorite for as long as I can remember. I am blessed with two Dobe's today (Ceasar & Kira) and we are hoping to breed them some time next year!

Some CRAPPY pics:
    Ceasar & Kira together

Kira looking lost...

Ceasar being camera shy

I'm having some trouble with my bandwidth at the moment so I will upload more later!

Dobe's rule!

Thanks

Re: My Dobes!

very nice dobes...grew up with one as a child...they have wonderful personalities. Now Im onto Boxers.

Thanks

I'm not going to give you a big load of crap for breeding your dogs, but no matter how careful you are of who you give them to, there is always a chance that bad people will get them. Once when my dad used to breed dogs, two of the puppies ended up in the shelter, and he paid to get them back. You should consider waiting to breed until the populations demand for dogs and cats is much higher.

Also, I am not saying that no one should breed dogs, because if that were the case, there would not be any. I am just saying, you should be extremely careful of who you give the pups to, and also do home checks, vet. refs., and even ask what their experience with the breed is as each breed of dog is different.

Thanks

Also, please at least do the health testing that's recommended for this breed - do you know their vWD status? And with an estimated 60% of the breed affected by DCM, please have them holtered.

Other tests - OFA hips and elbows, and full thyroid & liver panels on both.

Thanks

I have a total thing for Dobes, and yours look wonderful! I LOVE the natural ears!

Ditto on the health testing. I'm not one of the dog breeding nazis who think only show dogs should be bred, but they should at least be tested for all applicable health conditions so you can give the puppies the best chance at a long, healthy life. And, of course, both parents should have absolutely superior temperaments; any unstable Doberman out there brings us one step closer to getting them all banned.

Love the pic of Caesar! I used to have a dog that would hide her face from the camera too, and it always cracked me up.
    Heather

1.0 Normal BP - No-Ped
    0.1 Pastel BP - Valentine
    0.1 Pinstripe BP - Petra
    1.2 Spider BP - Ainmire, Aoibheann, and Arachne
    2.0 Cats - Siegfried and Roy
    1.0 Curly Coated Retriever - Marlowe
    1.0 Very understanding husband - Justin

Thanks

I'm not a dog breeding nazi, I don't mind people breeding their dogs. I just hope that they all go into good homes and not wind up in a shelter, because they would most likely be put down. I was just talking from personal experience, that's all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissMowgli View Post
    Ditto on the health testing. I'm not one of the dog breeding nazis who think only show dogs should be bred, but they should at least be tested for all applicable health conditions so you can give the puppies the best chance at a long, healthy life.
    Unfortunately I doubt the OP will be willing to shell out the money needed for health testing - people who don't show or work their dogs rarely do. You're looking at a bare minimum of $500 per dog for the health testing the breed requires.

My female Doberman just turned two, which means I have to start her health testing... here's my cost breakdown so far:

vWD - I knew her status before I bought her - but otherwise about $130
    CERF - $40 annually
    OFA hips and elbows - I'm getting it done for about $330, but often it's more like $500
    thyroid panel - $100 annually
    liver panel - $60 annually
    holter monitor and vest (I'm buying my own so I'll be able to test my dogs whenever I want, as opposed to going to a vet for one since they'll charge about the same for a single test - about $400) - $600
    holter test kit & results - $25

That's a lot of money to people who are only breeding for pets. I don't really have a problem with "pet breeding" - as long as the parents are fullly health tested. But I've NEVER seen a fully health tested BYB Doberman litter.

Perhaps the OP can prove me wrong... but I somehow doubt the most 'health testing' will be a trip to the vet for an A-OK. And in this breed, that's not early enough. Not when two out of every three Dobermans will, statistically, suddenly drop dead - many at a very early age - due to DCM.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Pretty pups, I just love dobes, we thought about getting one but the myriad of health issues the breed has was a huge turn off, if we ever do get one it will be from a reputable breeder who health tests, I want a pup with the best chance possible of being healthy and long lived. I know most don't but I love your pups natural ears btw. Your male looks like he is hiding from the camera!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Pretty pups, I just love dobes, we thought about getting one but the myriad of health issues the breed has was a huge turn off, if we ever do get one it will be from a reputable breeder who health tests, I want a pup with the best chance possible of being healthy and long lived. I know most don't but I love your pups natural ears btw. Your male looks like he is hiding from the camera!
    Either go with a reputable, excellent breeder. . . or adopt!! You can still get a wonderful, healthy, well-adjusted pure Doberman from a breed rescue.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Calift View Post
    Either go with a reputable, excellent breeder. . . or adopt!! You can still get a wonderful, healthy, well-adjusted pure Doberman from a breed rescue.
    I'd love to adopt, unfortunately dobes are never really found near me in the shelter. Actually nothing is near me, we drove 7 hours to adopt our 2nd pit bull and those are a dime a dozen in the shelter system. Up here it's mostly hunting breeds. Although I was amazed to see an ad for a free one in my town about a month ago, they tried selling it for $600 but apparently nobody bit and so I'm sure they gave her to whoever showed up. If only I had the room.