Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,669

1 members and 2,668 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

A family affair-new owner

I HOPE THE PICS COME OUT...

MY 10YR OLD SON HAD BEEN BEGGING FOR A SNAKE. EVERY BOOK HE CHECKED OUT AT THE LIBRARY INVOLVED SNAKES. AT FIRST I WAS VERY RELUCTANT TO HAVE A REPTILE IN THE HOUSE, BUT MY HUSBAND, WHO SAYS NO TO ALL PET SUGGESTIONS, SAID YES TO THIS. (IM THINKING HE WANTED ONE FOR HIMSELF). SO WE RESEARCHED AND FOUND THAT THE BP AND THE CORN WERE 2 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BEGINNER SNAKES. I LOOKED AT BREEDERS ONLINE BUT WE REALLY WANTED TO SEE IN PERSON THE SNAKE THAT WE WOULD BE BUYING, SO WE WENT TO 3 DIFFERENT PET STORES IN OUR AREA. (2 PETCOS AND A PETSMART) THE FIRST PETCO HAD 4 BABY BPS IN A VERY SMALL TANK AND THEY WERE PILED ON TOP OF EACH OTHER IN THE HIDE. THEY HAD 2 CORNS. MY SON WANTED A BP AND I HAD TO AGREE, THE CORNS ARE JUST SO SMALL. WE HAD THE PETCO WORKER TAKE OUT THE BPS AND MY HUSBAND AND SON HELD EACH ONE. ONE OF THEM WAS WAY BIGGER THAN THE OTHERS AND STAYED IN A BALL THE WHOLE TIME...ONE SNAPPED AT MY HUSBAND, ONE WAS WAY SMALLER THAN THE OTHERS...AND ONE WAS PERFECT. WE WENT TO ANOTHER PETCO AND THEY EVEN HAD SOME SPIDER BPS, BUT THE WORKERS WERE NOT VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE IN THIS STORE AND SO WE MADE OUR WAY TO PETSMART....NOT A VERY BIG SELECTION SO WE LEFT. WE WAITED A WEEK AND THEN WENT TO GET OUR PERFECT SNAKE...DOCILE BUT ACTIVE...WORKER SAID FEEDING GOOD ON FROZEN FUZZIES AND FED WEEKLY ON SUNDAYS. (I THINK THEY LIE ABOUT THIS, AS THEY DONT HAVE ANY INFO ON THE INDIVIDUAL SNAKES). SHE SAID WE WOULD HAVE TO TAKE IT TO AN EXOTIC VET TO FIND OUT SEX. WE BOUGHT A REPTILE KIT(ALL INCLUSIVE), 3 FUZZIES, SOME CLIMBING BRANCHES AND A VINE. WE HAVE HAD HE OR SHE 2 WEEKS. ALL OF US LOVE DIAMOND. (MY SON NAMED). STILL WILL NOT FEED, BUT WE ARE BEING VERY PATIENT. ALL-IN-ALL I THINK THIS WILL NOT BE OUR LAST BP.

Thanks

Re: A family affair-new owner

CANT GET PICS TO POST...WILL READ THE HOW TO THREAD AND TRY AGAIN
    Last edited by Freakie_frog; 03-09-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks

Hello. Glad to see you could make it. We've been expecting you for some time now.

A quick suggestion, lose the cap lock.

Jim Smith
    Last edited by j_h_smith; 03-09-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

Ok...cap lock off...its a lazy habit of mine..lol People always accuse me of screaming.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome

A few little tips from what I read in your post.

WE WAITED A WEEK AND THEN WENT TO GET OUR PERFECT SNAKE...DOCILE BUT ACTIVE...WORKER SAID FEEDING GOOD ON FROZEN FUZZIES AND FED WEEKLY ON SUNDAYS. (I THINK THEY LIE ABOUT THIS, AS THEY DONT HAVE ANY INFO ON THE INDIVIDUAL SNAKES). SHE SAID WE WOULD HAVE TO TAKE IT TO AN EXOTIC VET TO FIND OUT SEX. WE BOUGHT A REPTILE KIT(ALL INCLUSIVE), 3 FUZZIES, SOME CLIMBING BRANCHES AND A VINE. WE HAVE HAD HE OR SHE 2 WEEKS. ALL OF US LOVE DIAMOND. (MY SON NAMED). STILL WILL NOT FEED, BUT WE ARE BEING VERY PATIENT. ALL-IN-ALL I THINK THIS WILL NOT BE OUR LAST BP.
    First thing to remember is that BP are not active so if your BP is active during the day there is probably an issue. (under feeding, stress etc)

As far as feeding goes well knowing Pet store chains I seriously doubt your snake was eating on it's own due to their policy they feed F/T and often have to assist the snakes because of this (might not be the case but I would not doubt), I would highly recommend to switch to live (at least 3 to 4 feedings) to make sure your BP eats on it's own for you.

Once well established it will also be easier to switch your snake.

Also the prey size that was recommended is way too small for a BP, most hatchlings are started on Hoppers and quickly move to adult mice.

The rule is to feed something about the size of the girth of your snake (widest part of your BP's body)

If your BP is young he should be voracious and if food refusal persist I would strongly consider looking into husbandry. (snake kits sold in pet store often do not fit the needs of a specific species like BP)

I would highly recommend you to read through those http://ball-pythons.net/modules/Sect...warticle&id=59

and http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56846
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

If you leave it as a link people can see the pics in your album.

http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/a...YDOVE/DIAMOND/

Otherwise you need to post each picture seperately using the "insert image" button ( ).

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I have been at work all day reading all the threads...and have come to the conclusion that the worker at Petco wasnt as "all knowing" as she wanted us to believe. I do believe the cage is way to big and the lighting sucks.

He is not out at all during the day, when I said he was active I meant when we take him out he travels alot. I think I also need a smaller hide. I hope to get the pics on here so that everyone can pile on the advice.

Thanks

http://s988.photobucket.com/albums/a...YDOVE/DIAMOND/

only the second forum I have been on....please be patient lol

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I'll add the pics for you to save you some time.

If you hover your mouse over the pics in your album a little info pane pops up underneath it - just copy and paste link in the "image code" box directly into your post.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

thank you dr del

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast