Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

2 members and 3,194 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User rockhardchick666's Avatar
    Thanks

Hello from a newbie!

Hey guys, I'm very new at BPs and I need coaching. I want to make sure he can live comfortably.

Last week I was given a BP from a person who clearly didn't want it... so this poor guy has had a really rough start. When I got him ( in his 50 - 60 gallon tank, that was a nice surprise... I thought I was getting a tank half that size.)

He had one hide, water dish that was smaller than my fist, a thermometer at the top of the tank and one heat light and not enough substrate to cover the whole bottom of the tank. I assume it was aspen chips, but it was so dry that they were getting crushed into powder by his weight.

In the substrate was at least 6 different skins (which weren't in one piece, just chunks. He still had his last shed along his right side) and I couldn't count the ammount of poop that was stuck to the bottom of the tank. OH! and when I asked the guy when the last time he fed it he said "uuuh, no idea".

So since then I've put new substrate which actually fills the bottom of the tank, a water dish he can actually fit in, two hides, a piece of wood that he loves to climb, and some plants that he tries to climb. With the heat light only, the temp was getting to about 24C, so I bought him a heating pad, and two thermometers for either side.

With the higher humidity the strip of old skin that looked really tight left within two days.

I fed him once all the skin was off ( I was warned that if that skin was really stuck from not being in the right climate, it might rip when his food goes through him?) It was the most terrifying moment of my life, I must say; I've never fed, or seen a snake fed before. That was an experience.

But other than making the tank look pretty, I need help!

He clearly wasn't handled much with the other owner. He hissed at me the first night - which was ok, because I'd be cranky too after all that moving. The second night he hissed and then bit me when I put in his water dish.
    I know he's not a pet that I can handle a lot, but some touching would be nice.... will I ever be able to get him used to me?

Also, I have live plants in the tank... are there ones that are harmful to them?

He's about three feet long (I would say, clearly I haven't been allowed to measure him), what size rats should I be feeding him?

Can he get too hot? With the tank so huge there's a nice temperature difference... but if it gets too hot for him in the hot side, will he move?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as I go.

Cheers!

Thanks

Re: Hello from a newbie!

I would leave him in the tank for a week or two without trying to hold him

Thanks

Haha, oh trust me, there's no holding at this point. He balls up when I open the tank.

Thanks

Like previously said, let him settle in for two weeks... than you can try to hold him a little if he is more comfortable. I would personally start out with small to medium rats so he doesnt get to stretched out or overly stressed. You said the previous owner couldnt remember when he fed him, so go slow. Once the little guy realizes you are caring for him he may warm up to you. You sound like your on a great start to giving him a happy home. Good Luck, and Thanks for taking him in.
    AMY ^_^
    1 Boyfriend
    2 Sons Gunnar & Kaden (Nicknamed babies No Feet and Baby Nakes)
    1.0 Axanthic 09 (Kairu) settling in beautifully
    0.1 Het. Axanthic 09 (Keira Bella) nestled in and calming down

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockhardchick666 View Post
    Last week I was given a BP from a person who clearly didn't want it... so this poor guy has had a really rough start. When I got him ( in his 50 - 60 gallon tank, that was a nice surprise... I thought I was getting a tank half that size.)
    50-60G tank may be a bit big for him. To big of an enclosure can add to their stress as they like closed in spaces. A 20G tank would be enough.

He clearly wasn't handled much with the other owner. He hissed at me the first night - which was ok, because I'd be cranky too after all that moving. The second night he hissed and then bit me when I put in his water dish.
    I know he's not a pet that I can handle a lot, but some touching would be nice.... will I ever be able to get him used to me?
    Let him be for at least a week, even longer if he's still stressed. After he gets use to his new home, eventually you should be able to handle him no problem. BPs are very calm snakes, and I know the majority of them enjoy being handled. Of course every snake is different, so if yours is afraid you may not be able to handle it much.

He's about three feet long (I would say, clearly I haven't been allowed to measure him), what size rats should I be feeding him?
    The rule of thumb is to feed a mouse the same size as the snakes widest area. If he's malnourished and skinny, you'll need to start with smaller food, if he's got some decent weight he could probably handle a decent size.

Can he get too hot? With the tank so huge there's a nice temperature difference... but if it gets too hot for him in the hot side, will he move?
    As long as he has a cool side and a hot side he'll be fine. The cool side should be around the 80Fs, while the hot spot can be between 90-95F. Every snake seems to thrive in different heats, but mine seems to be most comfortable with the hot spot set at 93F.
    Pets:
    1 Fiancee: Crystal
    1 Pitbull: Sox
    1 Pomeranian/something mix: Niko
    1 Green Anole: Gonzo
    1 Green Tree Frog: Kermit
    1 Ball Python: Hulk Hogan

Registered User BumblebeexSweat's Avatar
    Thanks

Just want to say hi and welcome to the forum!!!! *I'm new to the forum too, so don't feel too bad * I agree with all of the above. Let him settle in to his new surroundings before you try and take him out. And THANK YOU for helping this poor guy out!!! I'm sure you saved his life and I'm sure he will warm up to you after the "quarantine" phase. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." ~George Burns
    Chelsea --
    0.0.1 Normal BP
    Want to add:
    1.0 Bumblebee
    0.1 Normal BP
    May add some geckos and chameleons eventually

Thanks

and the plants? Has anyone run into plants that could be toxic to them?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

There are some poisonous plants obviously but I'm not sure there's a list of them anywhere.

Most people find putting live plants in isn't the best idea as the snakes flatten them or tip them - and thats assuming there are no bugs in the soil.

Those type of bugs won't hurt the BP but it can't half give you a heartattack looking in and seeing them crawling on it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Yeah, he 'climbs' one plant everynight and it tips. I don't mind putting it back up ... for now.

Thanks

Ok, another concern of mine is that he's growing very sluggish and unresponsive.

Within the past couple days whenever I've tried to see him he's had to been touched before he moves.

I fed him yesterday, he ate the rat within 5 minutes. Then in evening he was exploring and drinking water and climbing.

And this morning, I found him out of his hide, and didn't move till I poked his nose.... I really really thought he was dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast