Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

0 members and 3,222 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the BP Market?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doing great, on a steady rise.

4 9.30%
  • Doing ok, slowly increasing.

24 55.81%
  • Not changed, no increase/decrease.

4 9.30%
  • Going down slownly.

10 23.26%
  • Goin' down, abandon ship!

1 2.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks

How's the BP Market Now?

It seems to me after searching forums and talking with breeders/attendees at shows that BP sales seem to be on the rise.

Think its due to falling prices or maybe increased supply?

I'd like to hear others thoughts on what they think about the BP Market right now and where its possibly heading.
    ~Jessica~

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How's the BP Market Now?

Well it does seem that people are more interested in buying in the last 8 months. What has cause it? Not sure. All I know is that we sold our very limitied supply fairly quickly this year..

I look forward to the 2010 season to see what people's buying trends are like..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I know I've picked this year to pick up some balls. I have sold all my Kings, Corns, Milksnakes and the last of the Geckos. Now I have all this room to fill with some nice Ball Pythons.

Thanks

I am a buyer... I have been looking into getting my new one for nearly a year before actually buying one. Then I ended up getting two at once, and do not think I am done yet. The economy in the states is getting slowly better and I feel this helps people feel comfy enough to get pets again. I know it was for me. Prices definately help being lower. When I started looking the morph I wanted was nearly $1000 a couple years ago, and now is down to $600.
    Last edited by dnnsfam; 03-08-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    AMY ^_^
    1 Boyfriend
    2 Sons Gunnar & Kaden (Nicknamed babies No Feet and Baby Nakes)
    1.0 Axanthic 09 (Kairu) settling in beautifully
    0.1 Het. Axanthic 09 (Keira Bella) nestled in and calming down

Thanks

I looked at this as a breeder's point of view and others have looked at it from a buyer's point of view. I think if you're a breeder, the market is still decreasing. The values are down and the sales are down.

If you're a buyer, I think there are some deals out there. I know, I'm building my collection and I'm getting some great deals. However, you must look long and hard. You've got to know what you want and don't compromise. I've gotten some great snakes for some really good prices, but that's because I went shopping for a particular snake and I didn't jump on something else, just for the sake of buying a cool snake.

What is amazing me so far this year is the number of ball pythons that are still available this late in the 09 season. There are some crazy cool snakes still out there. A bunch of them. I don't know if this is because people aren't buying or this is an over abundance of snakes. If it's the latter, then the market is going to continue to crash into the 2010 season for the breeders.

Just my opinion,
    Jim Smith

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post

If you're a buyer, I think there are some deals out there. I know, I'm building my collection and I'm getting some great deals. However, you must look long and hard. You've got to know what you want and don't compromise. I've gotten some great snakes for some really good prices, but that's because I went shopping for a particular snake and I didn't jump on something else, just for the sake of buying a cool snake.

Just my opinion,
    Jim Smith
    I agree with that 100%. that's how i'm building mines, until i start breeding for my own collection.

Thanks

I am done buying for the time being, and for the next few years I'll be focusing on producing some of my first clutches. I am really excited to start breeding. I'm saving up now for more caging and a rack for babies I hope to have down the road. If all goes well I hope to have some pastels, spiders, normals, and bumblebees, I just hope their will still be a market for these in a few years. I've invested a lot of money into my animals, and I don't plan on making it all back. Breeding will probably end up costing me more than I'll make, but I don't really mind as long as I find good homes for my babies.
    1.1ballpythons(normal)-Arwen, Montague
    1.0ballpython(pastel)-Shan Longshanks
    0.1ballpython(spider)-Pippa Willow
    1.0redtailboa-Inigo
    0.1redtailboa(salmon)-Imogen
    1.0redbloodpython-Fergis

Thanks

There may be more buyers now than before, but there are a ton of new breeders each year. Simple supply and demand shows why the market is going down. Before long, morphs will not be worth hardly anything. Look at corn snake morph prices...
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    There may be more buyers now than before, but there are a ton of new breeders each year. Simple supply and demand shows why the market is going down. Before long, morphs will not be worth hardly anything. Look at corn snake morph prices...
    And yet there's still some corn snake morphs that go for $1000+ ... those longshot combos will always be worth more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    Before long, morphs will not be worth hardly anything. Look at corn snake morph prices...
    I feel there is a flaw in that logic.

corn snakes can produce what, 25+ eggs in a clutch? AND double clutch? BPs have like 16 eggs at the absolute max with 4-8 being more normal, and there is no double clutching. Most of the morphs in corns are also simple recessive, with BPs you get a mix of simple recessive, codom and dom traits.

Sure everyone and their mom can breed a mojo to 9 normal girls and get a bunch of mojaves, but the future of the market and the hobby is in selective breeding. There will ALWAYS be people willing to hunt for the perfect example of a morph and pay top dollar for it because its exactly what they want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast