Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,986

0 members and 2,986 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Should I earth (or 'ground') the bulb cage?

Recently bought a ceramic bulb for my BP. I've also got the recommended ceramic holder (as the bulbs apparently get too hot for the normal ones). Additionally, I've now discovered that I also need high-temperature mains wire, as normal wire can conduct the heat and melt!

I've found somewhere to order the wire from, so no problems there. However, the supplier is asking if I require an earth lead included. I replied back saying that the bulb holder only has 2 connections (live and neutral / blue and brown, so an earth is not required.

However, they have replied back saying that some people like to run the earth wire to the metal bulb guard to prevent against the possibility that the 'live' wire may become detatched and touch it, thus making the guard live and risking electric shock (and possible death!) for anyone/thing that touches it!

I would've thought the chances of that are extrememly unlikely, but just wondered what other people do?

Do I need to earth the bulb cage or is it fine to just make sure the live and neutral are properly connected? If I DO need to earth the guard, is it simply a case of soldering the earth wire to the corner of the guard somewhere? Also, what are the consequences of the 'earth' wire becoming detached and touching something?

Please excuse my ignorance - I ain't no electrician!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Should I earth (or 'ground') the bulb cage?

Whoa! That's completely over my head, expecially this early in the morning.

I do hope that someone will come on here that can address your question properly. Since I only use under tank heaters exclusively, I don't have experience with the ceramic heaters.

Thanks

Seeing that you're from England, I wouldn't know what to tell you. I would however recommend you at least talk to an electrician. I know nothing about the english electrical system. In this instance, I don't know if I would take a layman's word on this subject. The consequence could be a house fire and losing more than a snake or two.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

From what I can gather, this is more a precautionary measure than anything else. I believe a problem will only arise in the unlikely event the "live" wire become detached and touches the metal bulb guard thus making it live (as there is no 'earth' attached for the current to return to ground). This seems to me very unlikely to happen (although not impossible!) but I just wondered what other people do? I'm hoping there must be plenty of people on here who have wired up their own basking lamps?.......

I'm not sure if the chap I've been speaking to is going really over-the-top safety wise or if there is a genuine cause for concern!
    Last edited by severe_bomber; 03-08-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks

Maybe you can ask another person. Someone in the industry, that doesn't care if they sell you anything. I would want to make sure things are what you think they are.

Jim Smith

Thanks

if it like the in the united state the earth( ground wire) is only ther to prevent a possible electrical shock. another words if he hot ( live wire) cam loose and charged the housing (this being the bulb metal cage) the charge would simple ground out. If I remember my electronic's trainning that would cause it to trip a breaker( blow the fuse) as the load would go over the set limit of the breaker.

Now this is in United States were we run 120 alternain current ( ac) I am not sure how onthe far side of the pond things are ran.

but if you go with out the ground i simple check the wires every couple months or so (unplug and tighten any loose fittings) to be safe. the thing I remember is that all metalswill expand and contract as they get hot and cool( as the unit goes on and off ) soI would check it at least once a month if this heat bulb kicks on and off during the day/night to maintain a temp.

I also ask do you know if the place you live is grounded electrical ( asi n the wiring having a 3rd ground wire )?? cause other wise the grounding wire would need to be ran outside or to another grounding wire that leads to a true ground in the earth ??
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mechnut450 For This Useful Post:

severe_bomber (03-08-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mechnut450 View Post
    if it like the in the united state the earth( ground wire) is only ther to prevent a possible electrical shock. another words if he hot ( live wire) cam loose and charged the housing (this being the bulb metal cage) the charge would simple ground out. If I remember my electronic's trainning that would cause it to trip a breaker( blow the fuse) as the load would go over the set limit of the breaker.

Now this is in United States were we run 120 alternain current ( ac) I am not sure how onthe far side of the pond things are ran.

but if you go with out the ground i simple check the wires every couple months or so (unplug and tighten any loose fittings) to be safe. the thing I remember is that all metalswill expand and contract as they get hot and cool( as the unit goes on and off ) soI would check it at least once a month if this heat bulb kicks on and off during the day/night to maintain a temp.

I also ask do you know if the place you live is grounded electrical ( asi n the wiring having a 3rd ground wire )?? cause other wise the grounding wire would need to be ran outside or to another grounding wire that leads to a true ground in the earth ??
    Many thanx, Mechnut - that's what I was thinking and hoping! I know your voltages and things are different, but I believe the priciples are the same. Based on that, I think I may go with an earth (or 'ground', as I think you guys call it) just to be on the safe side. Do I just solder it to the corner of the bulb guard somehow? (and yes, the place is 'grounded')
    Last edited by severe_bomber; 03-08-2010 at 09:54 AM.