Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,347

2 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: When to breed Rats?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 snakes

17 19.32%
  • 4 snakes

10 11.36%
  • 5 snakes

14 15.91%
  • 6 snakes

13 14.77%
  • 7 snakes

2 2.27%
  • 8 snakes

7 7.95%
  • 9 snakes

2 2.27%
  • 10 snakes

23 26.14%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks

Re: Best snake collection size to breed Rats?

Thats a good question. I have 34 snakes, 2 babies on the way, more eggs on the way, a Caiman, and a Nile monitor and I still but what I need for now, but I have been getting ready with the help of raverthug.. to build a rack and start breeding our own rats, costs me about 80 a month plus a 10 dollar rabbit for my large snake, so I assume it is time....

Thanks

breeding

me personally i would starting breeding as soon as possible !! it doesn't matter how many snakes u have it will cut the cost down that u spend monthly, which those funds can go towards something else you kno

Thanks
    Ive got 5 snakes and breed rats and soft furs for them. If i get too many ill kill and freeze them or start selling them off. Even if i make just enough to cover the rat food and bedding, its still a big saving in not buying rats to feed.
    Pythons
    1.2 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Ball Python

Boas
    1.0 Yellow Anaconda
    1.0 Albino Boa Constrictor
    0.1 Het Albino Boa Constrictor

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

When snake food is higher than your grocery bill
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

I started breeding rats at 8 snakes. started with 6 1.4 groups(asf). The cost of raising them was cheaper then buying, but still cost close to $1 to raise to adult.
    Now I have 75 Ball Pythons,I have 24 1.5 breeder asf groups and 14 1.2 Hooded breeders. I changed to hog feed 16%, my cost now to raise to aduls is about 12/14 cents. This includes all the bedding as well. If I include my time it goes to $.20 a rat. A hell of alot cheaper.

Thanks

I started breeding my own with 3 snakes, and have expanded as my collection has grown. Sure there are times when I'd love to just ditch the rats and spend that time with the snakes, but overall I do not regret it one bit. For me the question was never really cost, and I honestly can't tell you exactly what it costs for me to raise a feeder, but knowing that I have quality rodents going into my snakes bellies is what it's all about for me.

I do keep a few FT rats in the freezer.

Thanks

I have been breeding rats for 2 years now i have sold more rats then i new what to do with i made probably 150 dollars in 2 years or more because i sell them so cheap.

But i only have two big boas 1 female that could be eating rabbits but she isn't ready for them. and my male who just got healthy again. I am about to get 4 more big boa's 3 females and 1 male.

I used to have 4 rat racks built which only cost us 500 dollars the way we did it. but we took two down to put in guinea pig cages i have started to breed guinea pigs because my female will eat anything i put in her face and hopefully my male will eat a baby guinea pig. but who knows he might if he is hugnry enough.

But I like knowing where my rats come from i don't breed mice any more nasty little b****s they bite but they never ate their babies though they gave me 40 babie's each litter but they started to get out of their cage so i had no choice but to get rid of them. I don't like to breed nothing but rats and guinea pigs because they are the right size for baby boa's and whatever snake i get.

I put like 1.4 each and i leave them in for about 3 to 4 days and instantly pregnant and about 23 days i would have babie's my male's get the job done i have to breeder males that do the job but once they get old and they did their job like i liked them to then i would keep them and let the pass on and i would barry them in the back yard very deep where animals can't get to them that quick.

But i sold most of my breeders off and now i only have 20 babie's that were just born like 5 days ago 10 of them were born 3 days ago they are new borns. But i started to breed with just one ball python.

but i have been breeding for two years and have been useing different types of bedding and i have found the best type that works great. it is would pellets it is the wood stove pellets that burn in the stove or pellets you put in with the horses for cleaning.

i have been trying to find the mazuri 6f but they don't sell it here in my city i don't know where you could find it except the mazuri place but they want freaken 18 dollars for the bag and then they want 70 something to ship it out to you just for one bag.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345