Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

0 members and 3,207 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Giving up my cats? :(

Keep those kitties! As many have said, do not give up your cats because of possible visits from allergic in-laws. If they have a severe enough allergy, then they need to stay away from your place. There are allergy medications they can take as well. I'm actually allergic to my cats and they all sleep in the bed with me. One of the cats even sleeps near my face. I deal with it because they are my babies. Those kitties are your babies and you shouldn't have to get rid of them.
    Under Construction.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

Charlie And Lucy (04-16-2010)

Thanks

I used to be highly allergic to cats. My eyes would turn bloodshot red and itch like crazy after being in a room for no more than 10 minutes. I would also sneeze non-stop for about 45 minutes after being around them for the 10 or 15 minutes.

I started to do allergy shots for a few months, but wasn't able to keep up with them in the long run. Over the past 2 years, 3 "rescue" cats have been brought into my house and I ended up building an immunity against the cat dander or whatever gets my allergies going. I rarely take any allergy meds to get by.

I looooove my cats. My life would be boring without them in it. Maybe you should keep part of the house "cat-free" by keeping the cats out of certain rooms the kids will be in. I hope you can keep your cats =[

Thanks

My future sister in law has a BF that is allergic to cats, and she had one at the house. When he first started coming over, he would instantly take allergy pills and still get a reaction. Now that they've been together for almost a year, he recently walked into a cat rescue and didn't sneeze once. Tell them to take allergy pills before they go over, and just don't touch the cats. Not that hard.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've got a brother in law who is allergic to cats. The only time he comes to visit is when we have an outdoor barbeque in the summer. It works out pretty well, everyone stays outside so he can still come to visit and won't have to worry about being in agony for the rest of the day. It's good to be accomodating, but you shouldn't have to change your lifestyle.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

I am allergic to cats. Both of my sisters have cats. My son has a cat. My wife and I have 4 outdoor barn cats. Generally the allergy is to the pet dander you find on the cloth furniture. For a short visit they should be fine, just let them sit in wooden chairs. For longer visits, as a good host you can throw a fresh sheet over one or more of the fabric covered pieces of furniture for them to sit on. The sheet covers any dander on say the couch or a stuffed chair. They should be fine. In extreme cases Benadril is the miracle drug of choice.

Thanks

Thanks everyone.

Thanks

Yeah seriously dude, there's no reason to get rid of your pals because someone might visit.

Usually if I am gonna have an allergic visitor. I'll put the cats in my room, dust vacuum, air out the sitting area, and keep some benadryll (sp) on hand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. I want a cat, but my girl is allergic to them. I've decided to not get one.

However, I see a very distinct difference between not buying a furry animal that your significant other is allergic to, and getting rid of long-term loved pets because you get engaged to someone whose siblings have allergies.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you and your kitties.

Thanks

So, you told your fiance that you were not attached to these cats and she asked you if you were ok getting rid of them? You told her yes, but now you can't decide?
    I realize that this is going to be unpopular, but there are things we do for the ones we love, and the ones that they love too even. I believe that pets are important, but family comes first, even in-laws in my eyes. For close families, not being able to have siblings over would be horrible.
    Find the cats a nice home with someone you know and visit them when you want to. If you make this decision to let them go, do it with a good heart and no bitterness to your fiance or her family.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N4S View Post
    You are both right. Maybe I really need to just step up and voice my opinion.
    Dude, if you don't put your foot down now the family will walk all over you for life. There's no way Big Gunns would give up his puddy cats. BG has to admit...he's a pudee cat person.

To be perfectly honest, this kinda sounds like an excuse your wife to be is using because she doesn't like them.

ps..edit...why the censor for puddy cats???? Wait...BG can figure it out.LOL
    Last edited by dr del; 03-23-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: If it's good enough for Sylvester and Tweety-pie.........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast