Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,105

1 members and 1,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,121
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
    Thanks

Foam for sculpting hides?

I was in a pet store yesterday and they had these really neat looking hides in the tanks made of foam and sculpted into cave shapes and colored to look natural. They used to sell the blocks of foam but don't anymore. So, I"m wondering how well something like that would work for my BP if I could find some foam at a craft store. Right now, I have a large plastic dog bowl that is open on the sides and that is where she prefers. But she is getting too big for it and she won't use the 1/2 log or the cardboard box hide I put in there. Would there be any problems using foam? My corn snake would use something like that as well.

And, they had the tiniest baby corns in there that were a neat color that I really wanted to bring home but didn't have the money on me and I fear my hubby would really frown on another addition to my zoo. It was really hard to walk out of there.

Thanks

Re: Foam for sculpting hides?

The disadvantage with foam is that it can VERY easily get mouldy. If you do decide to use foam to make hides, check it regularly for mould.

The other issue, obviously, is cleaning them/getting rid of bacteria is pretty much impossible. Be prepared to replace them a few times a year at least.

I'm pretty sure I know which foam hides you're talking about... We discontinued them at work, and I have a feeling it's probably due to the two reasons above. They're nice in theory, but in a moist, humid environment, foam turns into a mould farm.
    0.4 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 California Kingsnake
    1.0 Sudan Plated Lizard
    1.1 Long-haired Chihuahua